Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SAT 9/12/2015 Yellow 914 Build Party - Scottsdale, AZ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
This is a pretty crazy story...

A friend who I've known since 3rd-grade gave me a hard time about having a tiny/low-powered/VW/whatever 914 in high school but of course ended up getting one of his own a couple years after high school. I think he actually bought it from Glenn in San Bernardino (not sure on that).

Anyways, I think it ran for a year or two, and he actually made one trip with it from Arizona to San Diego. Then I think on that trip back from San Diego, it dropped a valve seat. Towed home, sat for a couple years, had the heads rebuilt, engine has been reassembled, and then... it sat. For a long time. Like another 13 years. And counting.

He had told me for many years that his 914 was pretty close to back together, and basically just needed to put the engine back in. I didn't really believe that until I saw the car about a year ago - it is amazingly complete and ready to go, except... it just needs the engine put back in! It's really quite amazing. Projects usually get stalled at like 10%, 50%, or maybe 70%, but this one has been stalled at 98% complete - for 15 years now.

Here are a bunch of photos he just took of the state of things:

PHOTOS:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nluzzlusvtour1r/...lLgZDOmnga?dl=0

So... he has lost some things (like engine mount bolts) while moving the between a couple different houses, and is shopping for that stuff now, but it still looks like it's basically all there to me.

QUESTION 1 - From the photos do you guys see anything wrong or missing?

QUESTION 2 - I put together a 1-day to do list (6-10 hours should be enough, right?!?!) to end this poor car's 15-year nap. Anything I'm missing on this to do list?

TO DO LIST:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17EW...dit?usp=sharing

QUESTION 3 - if anyone wants to help, we'd love any assistance to make sure we can finish this in 1-day.

He is getting married in 3-weeks, and I was thinking that a marriage with a running 914 in the garage starts off in a much better spot than a 914 disassembled in the garage.

Any tips? Anything we're missing? Anyone want to help? Email me at steve@914.com and I can provide more details if you're interested.

-Steve
michael7810
Steve - I sent you an email. I should be available to help next weekend.
Cairo94507
Wow! What a fun, great, project. I wish I was closer - that car is 1 day away from running and driving. You are a very good friend. beer.gif
Mikey914
You truly are a good friend. Yes best to start with a running 914 or she'll hate it for sure.
siverson
thanks for all the interest but unfortunately we have to postpone the plan for this weekend. it will likely be resceduled for sometime in October. stay tuned...

one more non-running 9/14 for this 914...

-steve
MoveQik
Another Scottsdale 914?? Where has he been? I know of a yellow, unassembled 914 right near me but I can't tell if it is the same car. Is his name Dennis by chance?
siverson
nope. not dennis. near cactus and hayden.
MoveQik
QUOTE(siverson @ Sep 8 2015, 11:08 PM) *

nope. not dennis. near cactus and hayden.

Hmmm....I can hit a golf ball to there from my house. I'm at 96th & Cactus. Have him look me up. Would be great to have another local guy.
jasons
Yeah just north of Sweetwater I bet? I've seen that car sitting on Hayden. It looked pretty nice actually. Or is that the guy you know Mike?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.