Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SAT 9/12/2015 Yellow 914 Build Party - Scottsdale, AZ, sat for 15 years, reassemble in one day
siverson
post Sep 5 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

This is a pretty crazy story...

A friend who I've known since 3rd-grade gave me a hard time about having a tiny/low-powered/VW/whatever 914 in high school but of course ended up getting one of his own a couple years after high school. I think he actually bought it from Glenn in San Bernardino (not sure on that).

Anyways, I think it ran for a year or two, and he actually made one trip with it from Arizona to San Diego. Then I think on that trip back from San Diego, it dropped a valve seat. Towed home, sat for a couple years, had the heads rebuilt, engine has been reassembled, and then... it sat. For a long time. Like another 13 years. And counting.

He had told me for many years that his 914 was pretty close to back together, and basically just needed to put the engine back in. I didn't really believe that until I saw the car about a year ago - it is amazingly complete and ready to go, except... it just needs the engine put back in! It's really quite amazing. Projects usually get stalled at like 10%, 50%, or maybe 70%, but this one has been stalled at 98% complete - for 15 years now.

Here are a bunch of photos he just took of the state of things:

PHOTOS:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nluzzlusvtour1r/...lLgZDOmnga?dl=0

So... he has lost some things (like engine mount bolts) while moving the between a couple different houses, and is shopping for that stuff now, but it still looks like it's basically all there to me.

QUESTION 1 - From the photos do you guys see anything wrong or missing?

QUESTION 2 - I put together a 1-day to do list (6-10 hours should be enough, right?!?!) to end this poor car's 15-year nap. Anything I'm missing on this to do list?

TO DO LIST:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17EW...dit?usp=sharing

QUESTION 3 - if anyone wants to help, we'd love any assistance to make sure we can finish this in 1-day.

He is getting married in 3-weeks, and I was thinking that a marriage with a running 914 in the garage starts off in a much better spot than a 914 disassembled in the garage.

Any tips? Anything we're missing? Anyone want to help? Email me at steve@914.com and I can provide more details if you're interested.

-Steve

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 07:49 AM