Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock 914/6 oil tank,breather options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
I have the PMS filler pipe and it has the 1" breather pipe lateral on the side facing the rear of the car ,anyone run a K&N or similar breather filter in this location with good results?.
If so do you need to mount a rain shield over it ?

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 8 2015, 04:50 AM) *

I have the PMS filler pipe and it has the 1" breather pipe lateral on the side facing the rear of the car ,anyone run a K&N or similar breather filter in this location with good results?.
If so do you need to mount a rain shield over it ?

Click to view attachment

I personally hate breather filters, they make a mess of the engine bay from the fine oil mist.

I'm going to run a hose to a catch bottle, then either run another hose to the intake, or down/out to the bottom of the car.
naro914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 8 2015, 08:19 AM) *

I personally hate breather filters, they make a mess of the engine bay from the fine oil mist.

I'm going to run a hose to a catch bottle, then either run another hose to the intake, or down/out to the bottom of the car.

agree.gif
I had that set up forever in both Papa Smurf and Huey and always hated that after every drive/race weekend, there was oil drops and mist all over that side of the engine. Papa has a whole different system now (oil tank up front), but Huey runs to a catch can...with a filter...that still leaks a little. I'm thinking of figuring out how I can run it back to the intake.
Mark Henry
I've always run a hose to the intake on the /4's, never had an issue.
My tractor just dumps the oil mist on the ground.
I'd say running it to the intake is more environmentally responsible.
Steve
I run the hose into the trunk with a catch can.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/bre...e-can-assembly/
I used to run the hose into the intake manifold like stock, but for some reason I was getting excess oil into the intake manifold which caused a smoke cloud every time I started the motor. This only occurred on cold starts. The catch can solved that problem.
MJHanna
agree.gif
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 8 2015, 08:17 AM) *

I used to run the hose into the intake manifold like stock, but for some reason I was getting excess oil into the intake manifold which caused a smoke cloud every time I started the motor. The catch can solved that problem.

Mine is homemade but works the same.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Sep 8 2015, 09:23 AM) *

agree.gif

I used to run the hose into the intake manifold like stock, but for some reason I was getting excess oil into the intake manifold which caused a smoke cloud every time I started the motor. The catch can solved that problem.

It still should vent out of the catch can to the atmosphere.
If it vents into your trunk then your trunk will be a mess.
Steve
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 8 2015, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Sep 8 2015, 09:23 AM) *

agree.gif

It still should vent out of the catch can to the atmosphere.
If it vents into your trunk then your trunk will be a mess.

So far so good!! There is a small k&n filter on it and I find no remnants of oil in the trunk.
SirAndy
I used an old Gatorade bottle with a few holes drill on top to relieve pressure. Works great for collecting the oil vapors and moisture.
I turned the holes in the bottle to face the air filter so any vapors escaping get burnt.
smile.gif

IPB Image
porschetub
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 9 2015, 01:17 AM) *

I used to run the hose into the intake manifold like stock, but for some reason I was getting excess oil into the intake manifold which caused a smoke cloud every time I started the motor. This only occurred on cold starts. The catch can solved that problem.

Thanks ,yea I thought that would be the case,the oil needs to be separated from the fumes and a catch can will do that,then I guess its just a case of taking the fumes away with vacuum from the intake after that?.
What sort of quantity of oil collects in the can on yours,is it much?.
So a catch can it is.....
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2015, 05:21 AM) *

I used an old Gatorade bottle with a few holes drill on top to relieve pressure. Works great for collecting the oil vapors and moisture.
I turned the holes in the bottle to face the air filter so any vapors escaping get burnt.
smile.gif

IPB Image

Yea have seen that in the past,buy the drink,drink it then fit to the car,I would do something like that to start with but need something that looks the part for my inspection/compliance later on,we have a bunch of police that stop crime in my country and then we have ones that say what we can do with our cars,EVERY modification has to pass,our rules are amongst the toughest in the world.
Rules for the fools one inspector told me....very true.
gms
I used to use an old Arizona ice tea bottle
Click to view attachment
gms
then I re-purposed a washer bottle
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
t collins
Less that 2000 miles on it and clean operation so far

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mskala
I really wanted to make something small and out of the way, so I got
this motorcycle one and made an elbow and bracket. It screws into the
existing hole that I think would have been used to hold the rain tube.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(t collins @ Sep 9 2015, 12:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Any hassles doing valve clearances etc or do you just move it out of the way?.
Looks great and most likely the way I'am heading.
t collins
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 8 2015, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(t collins @ Sep 9 2015, 12:41 PM) *

Any hassles doing valve clearances etc or do you just move it out of the way?.
Looks great and most likely the way I'am heading.

No clearance issues, I can pull #6 spark plug as is and it's easy to remove if every necessary.
PanelBilly
I had the fill neck modified with a threaded bung so I could use a more secure method of attaching the hose line.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Tig welded aluminum catch can, breather tube to bottom with a small S+B cleanable filter. Also an extra breather input (capped) for any future uses.Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 9 2015, 03:43 PM) *

I had the fill neck modified with a threaded bung so I could use a more secure method of attaching the hose line.

Click to view attachment

Thanks panelbilly nice setup and by the way enjoyed your build thread,so many good idea's and working solutions ,maltese falcon ...was too busy drooling over your motor ,then I saw your catch can biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .
Game over and thanks to all ,have found a nice setup locally and it's on my watchlist, another job ticked off the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.