Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping the engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have experience dropping the engine and engine + tranny in my air-cooled VW as well as installing them, all by myself. I need to drop my 914 engine to give it the once-over and try to stop the oil leaks (aside from tightening the oil filter dry.gif , boy, that impressed me...stupid PO). I would rather just drop the engine instead of the engine & tranny -- limited garage space being a consideration but not a show-stopper.

So, fairly easy? What about installation? I know w/the VW engines they take a little wiggling to get the main shaft splines into the clutch hole, however, the Type III engine is lucky in that there's no middle tin to separate the top of the engine from the bottom in the engine compartment so I don't know if that will be a variable in the formula or not.

Anyone do it? Experiences and suggestions?
tdgray
Just my .02 but I think that would be harder than just droping the whole enchilada.

Oh that reminds me I'm hungry. MMMM Enchiladas drooley.gif
Rusty
I've heard it's possible... but very challenging.

I'd rather drop the entire drivetrain... it helps keep everything balanced on the jack.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Joe Ricard
Either way you got to remove the shift rod starter wiring back up light wiring. Do it together and you will be OK. Separately and you are all alone.
sgomes
I'm not even sure it's possible. Just trying to picture it in my mind. You would need to be able to move the engine forward enough to disengage the transmission input shaft. And if you have something holding up the transmission while it remains in the car, how would you get the engine out?? It would have to come out sideways??? screwy.gif I guess if you had one of those awesome lifts in your garage then you could manage it. Wow. I really wouldn't attempt this. But if you do, thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
URY914
I agree with sgomes, I don't think it can be done. There is no room to move the engine forward the 2-3" you need.

Drop it together and we can all help you with that. Drop the engine only and you'll be the first. sad.gif

Paul
Sammy
I disagree completely!
You can drop the engine without dropping the transmission at the same time and here's how:

First, drop the transmission, go drink a beer, then drop the engine.
No thanks necessary. That's what I'm here for.
tat2dphreak
the way I see it is you can drop the tranny independantly... but if you want to drop the motor... the tranny comes too...
Rhodes71/914
Do I reiterate what everybody else has just said (typed), yeah sure. I think it would be a PITA. Even a small garage, once the whole thing is out just disconnect the tranny and put it out of the way somewhere.

On a VW bus sure, on a 914 your asking for some serious cusing.
davep
If it was possible, and it may be, it would take 100 times as long. No percentage in it. I'm sure you can find space for the tranny somewhere.
Trekkor
The fast guys drop the whole package in an hour.
I'd go slow and do it in two hours.

Slide the trans back under the car if it's in your way wink.gif
I cleaned it and replaced all the seals while it out.

KT
URY914
Ya need to have a engine drop contest at the next WCC.

Two man teams, two jack stands, one floor jack, one case of beer.

Ready.....Go! biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Save yourself the grief and do it as a whole assembly. Separating them and pulling just the engine is going to be tough as you have to support the front end of the tranny - then the engine has to come out sideways (ahead of the rear wheels). I would think if you did it this way you would have the engine on the floor and then realize, how the hell am I going to get this out now!
Brando
You have to remove them both. It's just 10-12 more bolts.
URY914
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 4 2005, 10:28 AM)
You have to remove them both. It's just 10-12 more bolts.

Lets see....8 bolts on the cv joints and 4 bolts at the rear tranny mounts for a total of 12. Instead of the four bolts that hold the tranny to the engine.

So 8 more bolts and a lot less time.
Pudge
When i bought mine the engine was out but the tranny was still connected at the cv joints, the PO said he unbolted the tranny after he had the motor mounts unbolted and the motor was on a jack and he couldn't get the motor far enough forward to get it apart from the tranny. He ended up dropping them both and then seperating them under the car.

Don't know if this helps cause this guy was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Sammy @ Mar 4 2005, 07:38 AM)
I disagree completely!
You can drop the engine without dropping the transmission at the same time and here's how:

First, drop the transmission, go drink a beer, then drop the engine.
No thanks necessary. That's what I'm here for.

biggrin.gif LOL

Okay, I'll do the whole enchilada, no biggie. Thanks volks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.