Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts required to put iginition on the dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
What are all of the parts required to get the ignition switch on the dash? I am imagining /6 steering columns are hard to come by or rather pricey? Other alternatives?

Seems like the big one if the steering column area so that you can have the steering wheel lock. Also, seems like something would have to be done to cleanup the original ignition switch location on the column.
914Sixer
Check the classic threads, seems like there is some info there.
mepstein
All stock parts from a 911. A little bit of fab and welding. Parts are $200-300. Might also need an early steering wheel.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 9 2015, 05:16 PM) *

All stock parts from a 911. A little bit of fab and welding. Parts are $200-300. Might also need an early steering wheel.

I'm planning on converting to 5-lug with full 911 front supension bits. I see that the steering rack itself is the same. Sounds like dash needs some work to hook up the column in there.
Mark Henry
Wasn't the 72 /6 ignition the same as the /4?
Just asking...
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 9 2015, 07:59 PM) *

Just asking...

was the '72 -4 on the dash? I was under the impression all -4s were on the column?
beerchug.gif
cjl
mepstein
'72, 914-6 was column mounted key. Limited to very few of the 6's. Earlier was dash mounted.
mepstein
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 9 2015, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 9 2015, 07:59 PM) *

Just asking...

was the '72 -4 on the dash? I was under the impression all -4s were on the column?
beerchug.gif
cjl

All 4's are on the column
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 9 2015, 09:11 PM) *

'72, 914-6 was column mounted key. Limited to very few of the 6's. Earlier was dash mounted.

But the 72 was a 914-4 Part
rhodyguy
so the column key would be correct for a 72' tribute car?
jim_hoyland
See : http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=100179&hl=

This might help smile.gif
rhodyguy
check out post #7 in that linked thread.
boxsterfan
I actually just miss the ignition on the dash like the previous Porsches I have owned. Seems like a worthwhile mod to me. Reminder: My car is currently half torn apart in the garage as it undergoes a rest-mod (I'm not building a concourse car) with tasteful mods.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2015, 12:16 PM) *

Would you get the column assembly,clamshell,indicator/wiper switches and ignition switch for that ? considering you have to pay P car tax then 911 tax sad.gif sad.gif .
I don't know ? but for coolness factor yes but the cost would be up there.
dug
I believe I have all the parts to do this conversion. I will put together a list of what I have, including a 914-6 column. I can use the funds for a worthy cause.
cheers,
dug
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 10 2015, 03:43 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2015, 12:16 PM) *

Would you get the column assembly,clamshell,indicator/wiper switches and ignition switch for that ? considering you have to pay P car tax then 911 tax sad.gif sad.gif .
I don't know ? but for coolness factor yes but the cost would be up there.

Here's what I purchased for $250. Didn't pay tax biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 9 2015, 10:35 PM) *

That was what I'm getting at, if it is a conversion car, 72-up, the key on the column is still technically correct for a /6.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 10 2015, 05:28 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 9 2015, 10:35 PM) *

That was what I'm getting at, if it is a conversion car, 72-up, the key on the column is still technically correct for a /6.

It's not a conversion car. Just looking at the mod. I am converting to a Getty 911 style dash. Motor will be a /4 still (2270 with ITB's).
boxsterfan
QUOTE(dug @ Sep 10 2015, 01:59 AM) *

I believe I have all the parts to do this conversion. I will put together a list of what I have, including a 914-6 column. I can use the funds for a worthy cause.
cheers,
dug

You have my attention. :-)
naro914
I just got a 911 ignition switch, drilled a hole (though I think I just used one that was there), took out the column switch and welded it shut. It uses the stock 914 everything else (switches and all) I don't have a steering column lock, and its the 'wrong' ignition in the dash, but thats OK with me....I was never looking for authenticity...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2015, 12:19 PM) *

I just got a 911 ignition switch, drilled a hole (though I think I just used one that was there), took out the column switch and welded it shut. It uses the stock 914 everything else (switches and all) I don't have a steering column lock, and its the 'wrong' ignition in the dash, but thats OK with me....I was never looking for authenticity...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a pretty good idea also. I could live without a steering lock (although parking on steep hills would leave you open to some risk). Perhaps a manual lock mechanism could be worked out.

And it it is a 911 iginition switch, well...then it is a Porsche part!! :-)
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2015, 12:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What year or part number for that switch ? Looks really clean... smile.gif
naro914
It's from a 964/993...I think I ended up finding one from a 964.

Like I said, not "authentic" 914/6...but the again, not much on Huey IS authentic...but, it is Porsche.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Like I said, not "authentic" 914/6...but the again, not much on Huey IS authentic...but, it is Porsche.

Is it keyed to the door key ?
r_towle
You can easily key the doors to match the ignition key....that way works better.

Funny, I frequently try to find a place to put my 911 key on the column
naro914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 10 2015, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Is it keyed to the door key ?

It's not...but neither door is the same either since Huey was rebuilt by something like 4 other cars...passenger there's no key. I've never gotten around to getting at least the doors the same.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 06:54 PM) *

You can easily key the doors to match the ignition key....that way works better.

Funny, I frequently try to find a place to put my 911 key on the column

I take it the lock tumblers are somewhat interchangeable...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.