Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Consensus,On best way to convert a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Ok,..with all the MAJOR experienced people on this form,..and these conversions being accomplished for years now,..is there a BEST way to do a SUBIE conversion or a most popular,.. or easiest way to convert.(regardless of engine choice).
Meaning,..best radiator to use,due to size,..or run lines under car, or thru the longs,.best hose to use,..or fittings,..engine cradel's ,..which fuel pumps work well,..what's the best way to strip down a harness,..or have it done.. Etc

I know a lot of this is personal preference,.or used what's available,..I cant belive someone didn't write a book of guidelines on this,...Its seems very popular,...a few years ago I would have never even considerd doing this,..and NOW,..I cant wait to get started,..!!!!!
Cairo94507
I know you will get a bunch of replies re this posting. I think a WRX motor in a 914 is a terrific option. I have always loved the sound of those little boxer motors.
Mike Bellis
Find the Subaru Wiki thread. All the answers...
mepstein
Buy it done. Drive it. Enjoy.
76-914
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 9 2015, 04:59 PM) *

Ok,..with all the MAJOR experienced people on this form,..and these conversions being accomplished for years now,..is there a BEST way to do a SUBIE conversion or a most popular,.. or easiest way to convert.(regardless of engine choice).
Meaning,..best radiator to use,due to size,..or run lines under car, or thru the longs,.best hose to use,..or fittings,..engine cradel's ,..which fuel pumps work well,..what's the best way to strip down a harness,..or have it done.. Etc

I know a lot of this is personal preference,.or used what's available,..I cant belive someone didn't write a book of guidelines on this,...Its seems very popular,...a few years ago I would have never even considerd doing this,..and NOW,..I cant wait to get started,..!!!!!

First, you need to decide which route you will go: ",..is there a BEST way to do a SUBIE conversion or a most popular,.. or easiest way to convert" Usually it is the "wallet" that decides.
zipedadoo
agree.gif

For me the best way was to buy a donor car and use every part off the donor possible. Engine, transmission, fuel pump, fuel lines, computer, fuel filter, radiator,etc.

My budget was very tight. The end result has been a fun and dependable car for my son to drive to school. If it was going to my car and if I had deeper pockets, I would have done things differently.
Andyrew
Brittan had a really good writeup on most of this stuff.
DBCooper
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 9 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Buy it done. Drive it. Enjoy.

agree.gif Easiest, for sure.

Here's the thread Britain put together. Hasn't been updated in while so it's a bit dated, but it covers the basics: Subaru Conversion Wiki

flmont
Yea,..WOW..the Brittan site is a lot of info,..Thanks...DBCooper,...I want to keep as much 914 as I can...just upgrade ,..engine,..rebuild the 901 to handel the EG33...That's the goal at this time,.. we shall see how it goes ...Thanks Frank

PS,..is it best to run lines thru the longs..???
76-914
Dealers choice.
Pat Garvey
Don't!
914_teener
Pat"s back!

agree.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, he's back, but keep in mind he likes to go SLOW. Or keep it parked. We definitely have different ideas about the best use of cars.

r_towle
Buy donor, send to renegade hybrids, write check, pick up car.
DBCooper
I don't know, Rich. He said "best," and the people I've spoken with who've seen them wouldn't put the Renegade conversions in that category. Easy and effective, though, no question about that.

mepstein
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 10 2015, 10:00 PM) *

I don't know, Rich. He said "best," and the people I've spoken with who've seen them wouldn't put the Renegade conversions in that category. Easy and effective, though, no question about that.

agree.gif dbcooper's car is 3rd gen next to a renegade car.
r_towle
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 09:57 PM) *

Ok,

Buy donor, send to dbcooper, write big ass check, take dbcooper car, enjoy.
DBCooper
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 07:21 PM) *

Ok,

Ha ha ha. It's not for sale, but I haven't been able to drive it in more than a year now. Bad back. Last time I got in I couldn't get out, finally had to fall over, out onto the ground, rolled over and finally was able to get back on my feet. Sucks.

r_towle
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 10 2015, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2015, 07:21 PM) *

Ok,

Ha ha ha. It's not for sale, but I haven't been able to drive it in more than a year now. Bad back. Last time I got in I couldn't get out, finally had to fall over, out onto the ground, rolled over and finally was able to get back on my feet. Sucks.

Big fat check would do the trick, and the. You get to do it again, and fix all the things you would have done differently....

Have you considered doing a raised suspension like a Paris Dakar type car?
Easier to get out of it..
mgp4591
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 10 2015, 04:58 PM) *

Yea,..WOW..the Brittan site is a lot of info,..Thanks...DBCooper,...I want to keep as much 914 as I can...just upgrade ,..engine,..rebuild the 901 to handel the EG33...That's the goal at this time,.. we shall see how it goes ...Thanks Frank

PS,..is it best to run lines thru the longs..???

I'd use a Subie transmission- you'll spend as much if not more buying the adapter and rebuilding the 901 as you would to source a good Subie 5 speed and buying the shift mechanism, cables and such. Plus you'll have a great match for the driveline and parts you can buy right off the parts counter at Subaru. You'll have to have custom axles but they're readily available and you don't want to use stock axles with an EG33 anyway- too much power for the stock stuff... shades.gif
DBCooper
True, that, definitely do the transmission. I did mine in two steps so it was apparent. The engine transforms the car. Then the transmission does it again, at least as much. It's definitely worth the extra work, you end up with a really REALLY nice car.

Rich, stupid thing is that I have TWO 914/WRX's here right now, mine and my son's. He can't fix his because of his HOA, I can't fix either of them because I can't bend over. The two cars are pretty similar, and wouldn't do much different. I wouldn't do Tilton pedals again, 76-914 found a way to do a good hydraulic master that's better and cheaper, but that's it. Not a lot.

r_towle
Ok, so how much do you want?
DBCooper
I don't want to answer that question. I don't even want to think about it. To consider it would be an admission that I'm done, can't do this any more, and I don't want to do that. Thanks though. Maybe talk with my son, but between you and me I wouldn't want him to consider it. If he did that would mean that HE doesn't think I'll recover, either. Prefer to not think about that.

r_towle
Then recover....I know what I mean...
Chris H.
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 10 2015, 10:02 PM) *

True, that, definitely do the transmission. I did mine in two steps so it was apparent. The engine transforms the car. Then the transmission does it again, at least as much. It's definitely worth the extra work, you end up with a really REALLY nice car.

Rich, stupid thing is that I have TWO 914/WRX's here right now, mine and my son's. He can't fix his because of his HOA, I can't fix either of them because I can't bend over. The two cars are pretty similar, and wouldn't do much different. I wouldn't do Tilton pedals again, 76-914 found a way to do a good hydraulic master that's better and cheaper, but that's it. Not a lot.

I was looking for that racing 914 clip and found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6JSfjIaH4

drooley.gif I have to have one of these. HAVE TO. Is there a build thread somewhere DB????

Just to add SOMETHING of value, I might seriously consider buying the Renegade radiator setup if I had to start over. Hated tweaking the cooling. Everything else is pretty well documented. Once you choose the engine it narrows the rest of the scope of the build.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 11 2015, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 10 2015, 10:02 PM) *

drooley.gif I have to have one of these. HAVE TO. Is there a build thread somewhere DB????

Just to add SOMETHING of value, I might seriously consider buying the Renegade radiator setup if I had to start over. Hated tweaking the cooling. Everything else is pretty well documented. Once you choose the engine it narrows the rest of the scope of the build.

I'm doing the renegade setup. I wanted a bolt on build (as much as possible) vs a fabrication build. I should have all the parts shortly and hope to start assembly this fall.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 11 2015, 05:29 AM) *

drooley: I have to have one of these. HAVE TO. Is there a build thread somewhere DB????

Not really a build thread, but there are some more details in photos here: Turbo Subaru Notchback

Chris H.
Is that the guy who did your trans and stuff Paul (DB) ? Whoever did that has some amazing skills. And he also has a V8 Volvo??? Pretty much my entire wish list. As you probably know better than me, the challenge has always been to get the Subie intake manifold into the Type 3 engine bay and be able to shut the lid. Very nice rad setup too.

Hi Pat Garvey bye1.gif . Missed ya man.

OK back to the discussion. Sorry.

flmont
I would go subie tranny,..but I just don't have the ability,.to accomplish,.. making all the brackets,.bending this,..or tweeking that,..my conversion is being done under a tarp,...so I gotta go plug and play for now,...if there were a kit that I can install,..well that's diffrent,...???
mepstein
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 17 2015, 01:20 AM) *

I would go subie tranny,..but I just don't have the ability,.to accomplish,.. making all the brackets,.bending this,..or tweeking that,..my conversion is being done under a tarp,...so I gotta go plug and play for now,...if there were a kit that I can install,..well that's diffrent,...???

Coldwater914 - Ian, makes a kit.
flmont
How much are these kits.???,..and what trannies will they fit..
mepstein
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 17 2015, 09:14 PM) *

I have an extra engine and transmission mount. Email me if you'd like to purchase. Mark@markepstein.net
gryphon68
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 17 2015, 09:14 PM) *

Ian's official product thread is here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930

Transmission is Subaru 5MT, basically any Subaru 5-speed manual from 1990-present that had an EJ motor in front of it.
gryphon68

Subie 914 racing clip . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uod6avfs4AM

EJ or EZ . . . the four just isn't going to have that NOISE!
76-914
QUOTE(gryphon68 @ Sep 18 2015, 11:51 AM) *

Subie 914 racing clip . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uod6avfs4AM

EJ or EZ . . . the four just isn't going to have that NOISE!

OK, I'll admit it; now that you said it lol-2.gif This is exactly why I went with a 6. That being said, nothing sounds a sexy as a Porsche 6 but I still like the way my EZ30 sounds, as well.
flmont
the flat 6 video of chris H's is a sweet sound,..I would prefer a flat 6 built to about 325- 340,..to have 300 HP at the wheels,..
r_towle
That notch engine makes my ears hurt.
Get him to adjust the valves...
914forme
Would love to do a notch, or a Ghia, or a Dual Cab, or a Thing. Really they all are begging for a good engine swap.
Chris H.
Bob and I were talking about a 411/412...front trunk is perfect for a radiator. It's HUGE. Ghia already has the radiator inlets cut in it. Ideally for me a pre-70 square. I'd do a low mileage 2.5 and replace all of the electronic guts and wiring with Subaru but keep it visually stock-looking. The trans would be a challenge since I'd like an automatic but probably not the stock 45 year old VW unit. So...that's what bounces around in my head most of the time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.