Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I pulled the axles off my car recently and found the CV joints were welded onto the ends of the axles. My car is a 6 conversion, and the whole rear axle assembly has been modified to take 100mm diameter 6 bolt type 4 CV joints - which I now know are also 944 cv joints.

Having done some research and spoken to Chris at Tangerine I've learned this set up, and the welding, isn't the best way to do it, but isn't unusual with custom axles, so can stay on the car for now. However, I know that at some point I will probably break a CV joint, so I'm trying to plan ahead to find a better alternative.

The type 4 joints are 33 spline, the same as type 1 CV joints, so a 914 axle will fit, but the centers are 28mm wide compared to 24mm on the type 1 joint. I've never seen how a 914 axle is put together, but I'm assuming the extra 4mm means the groove for the circlip is covered and that's why whoever made mine couldn't just plug n play 914 axles.

So, if I stick with 944 CV joints, I'm wondering what my options for axles are, if any? Is it possible to get the splined section on a 914 axle machined longer so the circlip channel is usable?

Or get the circlip channel enlargened to accommodate the extra 4mm thickness of the type 4 CV joint? This would of course extend the length of the complete axle assembly by 8mm - is matching the exact original 914 axle length critical?

I appreciate there may be some dumb questions/ideas in here, I'm no engineer smile.gif

John
r_towle
Possibly in the classics thread is a good explaination on what SirAndy did.

theleschyouknow
seems like Ive read -maybe in a 5-lug conversion thread- some company makes custom axles to length and splne specs at a fairly reasonable price
beerchug.gif
cjl
infraredcalvin
Sway-A-Way, has the appropriate length axle, scroll down this thread and Shea talks about the 944 cv...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
Chris H.
So you have 6 bolt stub axles (the outermost splined ends of the axle assembly that the CVs bolt to, which goes through the hub), but the 944 CV is welded to the 914 axle because it's too thick for the circlip to attach? And both CVs on the axle are 944?
john77
Thanks guys.
john77
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 10 2015, 08:30 PM) *

So you have 6 bolt stub axles (the outermost splined ends of the axle assembly that the CVs bolt to, which goes through the hub), but the 944 CV is welded to the 914 axle because it's too thick for the circlip to attach? And both CVs on the axle are 944?

I have no idea what the axles are off, or whether they've been modified, but whatever they are the CV joints, both type 4 944, are welded to them at what would be the circlip end. And, yep, 6 bolt stub axles.
SirAndy
QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 10 2015, 07:19 PM) *
So, if I stick with 944 CV joints, I'm wondering what my options for axles are, if any?

Anything you ever wanted to know about using 944 CVs ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641
shades.gif
john77
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2015, 09:18 PM) *

So, if I stick with 944 CV joints, I'm wondering what my options for axles are, if any?

shades.gif

Thanks Andy, and R Towle. Machining the splines on a 914 axle seems like the simplest option (also nice to know it wasn't a dumb idea smile.gif).

Now all I need to do is source a set of 914 axles. I'm planning to go to the next G&R swap meet, hopefully I can pick up a set there. What's the finish on the axles, powder coat?
Chris H.
Yep, powder coated.
john77
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 10 2015, 09:31 PM) *

Yep, powder coated.

Thanks Chris.
914_teener
QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 10 2015, 09:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 10 2015, 09:18 PM) *

shades.gif

Thanks Andy, and R Towle. Machining the splines on a 914 axle seems like the simplest option (also nice to know it wasn't a dumb idea smile.gif).

Now all I need to do is source a set of 914 axles. I'm planning to go to the next G&R swap meet, hopefully I can pick up a set there. What's the finish on the axles, powder coat?

That's funny....I just gave away a pair. Sorry.

john77
Just wanted to double check. The 944 doesn't use gaskets, so what gaskets do you use for the 944CV joint conversion? 75-85 911 gaskets appear to be the same diameter and bolt pattern.
914Sixer
911 gaskets
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.