Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need 2 Aluminum tubes butt welded
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I need to have two AC fittings welded together. Does anyone have a referral. I can ship to the welder so they don't need to be local but close would be nice (SoCal). TIA, Kent
zipedadoo
I know of a company in Arizona that can do it. AAPAK Phone# 1-602-254-1116
stugray
You know you can solder aluminum?

Are they truly butt joints? No male/female slip like copper fittings?
If butt is the only option, then I wouldn't trust the solder but thought I'd mention it.
TheCabinetmaker
My body man that just painted my car builds custom cars from aluminum. Any competent welder should be able to do it. Call mikes welding in temecula.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 14 2015, 10:39 AM) *

My body man that just painted my car builds custom cars from aluminum. Any competent welder should be able to do it. Call mikes welding in temecula.

agree.gif

It just needs to be TIG welding with Alum. Many exhaust shops & hot rod welders out there should be able to do it for you Kent.

Jeesh, ole Curt knows folks everywhere! biggrin.gif

BTW - Soldering Alum won't be a great structural member, if that's what you're using it for.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
scotty b
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 14 2015, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 14 2015, 10:39 AM) *

agree.gif

BTW - Soldering Alum won't be a great structural member, if that's what you're using it for.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

"I need to have two AC fittings welded together"

R.I.F. rolleyes.gif
stugray
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 14 2015, 01:40 PM) *

"I need to have two AC fittings welded together"

R.I.F. rolleyes.gif

Understood, BUT if it is an AC (Air conditioning fitting) then it should be a male female slip joint not a butt weld.
If that was the case, then soldering for AC is the accepted method.
Reading does not help if you don't have all the facts. (where's the Psychic emoticon?)

So from now on, if I don't get enough facts to provide a useful answer I will just ignore the question....rolleyes.gif

And did I not condition my response with "If butt is the only option, then I wouldn't trust the solder but thought I'd mention it."
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 14 2015, 03:40 PM) *

R.I.F. rolleyes.gif

What does that mean?

Rest in freon?
R u insanely fubar?
stugray
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2015, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 14 2015, 03:40 PM) *

R.I.F. rolleyes.gif

What does that mean?

Rest in freon?
R u insanely fubar?

Rest In Farts (it's a fetish thing :-)...

R.I.F. Reading is Fundamental - Similar to RTFM
Andyrew
Find a hot rod shop in town and ask if they can tig aluminum or call a radiator shop. All of them should be able to weld aluminum.
76-914
One will be butt welded the other is a shoulder bead. Here are some pic's. I should have done this before. Rich, I need to double check if that is one that I called here already. One was a structural aluminum welding co that wasn't interested and another didn't return the call. I can easily mail these to the right guy.
I want these 2 pieces

Click to view attachment

To end up like this. Easy to read match lines on all the pieces.

Click to view attachment

And these 2

Click to view attachment

to become this. TIA

Click to view attachment
craig downs
I have a tig welder and could do that for you. I'm about 40 minutes north from you. I live in Eastvale.
toolguy
Straight tig welding will product slag on the inside.
I'd suggest you machine an aluminum sleeve that slides into both pieces, then leave a 1/8 inch gap between the two and tig the gap. .
See Dustin at AJ Sandcars in El Cajon. he can do it while you wait if you have the
sleeve ready. . call for an appointment first. .
The him Uncle Dave sent you. .
craig downs
Just what I was thinking
76-914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 14 2015, 06:23 PM) *

Straight tig welding will product slag on the inside.
I'd suggest you machine an aluminum sleeve that slides into both pieces, then leave a 1/8 inch gap between the two and tig the gap. .
See Dustin at AJ Sandcars in El Cajon. he can do it while you wait if you have the
sleeve ready. . call for an appointment first. .
The him Uncle Dave sent you. .

Sage advice and one I would have surely missed. I'll give Dustin a call Uncle Dave. biggrin.gif Is this what you are talking about, Dave?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
toolguy
Bingo. . . Dustin is magical on tigging alum. .
here is his website. .
http://www.agsandcars.com/

Address: 244 Denny Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
Phone:(619) 449-8308
stugray
Now see! with those two pictures I say I could solder them both.

However if you want it done right, tig is the way to go!
And I know with really high end welding, you minimize the porosity & slag on the inside by purging the tube as you weld.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 15 2015, 01:33 AM) *

Now see! with those two pictures I say I could solder them both.

However if you want it done right, tig is the way to go!
And I know with really high end welding, you minimize the porosity & slag on the inside by purging the tube as you weld.

Looking at a stock 911 cooler I'd say the inlet tube is soldered from the factory.
Doesn't look welded.
jd74914
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 15 2015, 12:33 AM) *

Just a note, but technically you don't need to back purge aluminum tubing when welding (stainless, etc. is a different story).
bretth
Definitely make sure it is welded by someone who really knows what they are doing. I had to customize an A/C system to put into a 70's Dodge that I was restoring years ago. I painstakingly measured/cut and got everything set up perfect and then brought the 2 pieces to be butt welded together before having the A/C lines crimped into place. Brought it to an old "experienced" welder advertised in town. There was just enough weld porosity that it took about a month before enough refrigerant leaked out to stop blowing cold. Couldn't even see the hole but a drop of water in the spot would show the tiniest of bubbles escaping.

Brett
76-914
Thx for all the great replies. I'm glad I posted this here but as usual I am not surprised by the collective knowledge within this group. Looks like another hurdle has been cleared. 1,000,000 thank you's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.