Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uh oh...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Good to hear! Black Forrest is a solid company. Sold John a LE Creamsicle a couple years ago to restore. It was one number off his BB so seemed like a great fit to restore. They will get you squared away for sure beerchug.gif
brant
Nice!
naro914
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 12 2015, 02:39 PM) *

Good to hear! Black Forrest is a solid company. Sold John a LE Creamsicle a couple years ago to restore. It was one number off his BB so seemed like a great fit to restore. They will get you squared away for sure beerchug.gif

Oh, I have a long history with Black Forest...Lets just leave it at that.
bulitt
Sorry aboot your ongoing issues...
How about a D sports racer? biggrin.gif
Betty
"...with me and Nadine having a shot at Southeast Div Championship 1st and 2nd in GT2 class."

GO NADINE! You can kick his butt - Huey will help you do it!!! driving-girl.gif cheer.gif first.gif
naro914
so here's what the broken piece looks like close up and off the car...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Such a common issue. Glad you caught it before catastrophic results.
cary
It sucks to get old ...........

We tore one off my DD about ten years ago. In my case a street car with a stock 2L.
But it was running 205 Falkens, I don't think that helps. I think I'm going to add the stiffener and braces to the car I'm restoring now. Design Weak Point

Sounds like your in good hands and will be back on the road soon.
dflesburg
I see an opportunity to get a plasma cutter if you don't have one, everyone with a 914 has a welder... but not everyone has a plasma cutter.

naro914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 27 2015, 10:41 AM) *

I see an opportunity to get a plasma cutter if you don't have one, everyone with a 914 has a welder... but not everyone has a plasma cutter.

I don't even have a welder!! hissyfit.gif headbang.gif

I really want to get a small shop that I can start doing most of this stuff myself...I just don't have the space...
r_towle
Good it's getting fixed
naro914
Update: one thing we found was that the bushings on the trailing arms were completely shot too...as in they fell apart when it was disconnected from the chassis! So, we're putting in the Elephant Racing Poly Bronze bearings - same as what's already on the front...
naro914
Got Huey back from Black Forest Racing this weekend, all seems great! Thanks guys!

Also found that the cams were WAY out of time from our previous engine builder (yes, the same one that can't get Papa Smurfs engine from spinning rod bearings if you've been following)

So...how to test out the new suspension point and stiffening kit? Lets go Racing!! SCCA Time Trial this coming weekend at Roebling Road!! I have a chance to win the Southeast Division Championship in GT2 class, and Nadine has a shot at Second place in class if we do well.... driving.gif driving-girl.gif
veekry9
mad.gif
Time,money,effort.
We all at some time,have to suffer the idiots of the world,and press on.
Think of it as a trial or tribulation on the way to a better 914.
A discovery that a certain level of understanding of the unique design of the 6 had not been reached.
The reason why a winner's circle builder is who you want,or a solid gold warranty.
I can empathise,having had to recover a few blown,er,grenaded "race engines".
pita.
trojanhorsepower
Hugh will be thrilled to know Huey car is back on the road!
r_towle
Wait, you found out your rod spinning motor guy is not all he thinks he is?
Bummer, time to shop for a new guy.
naro914
Last Update: no need to continue this thread any longer....

Did the SCCA Time Trail at Roebling Road this weekend with Huey...ended up 2nd place overall for the Division Season Championship in GT2 class - Nadine 3rd.

Huey may not be the fastest car we have, but he's certainly the most reliable...No issues all weekend!! What we learned is that his suspension needs major upgrading - at one point it was mentioned that he needed a keel to keep from rolling over so much!

Winter project: shocks, springs, torsion bars...

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Go Huey go!! Glad to hear all is well.

--DD
stugray
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 28 2015, 06:58 AM) *

Update: one thing we found was that the bushings on the trailing arms were completely shot too...as in they fell apart when it was disconnected from the chassis! So, we're putting in the Elephant Racing Poly Bronze bearings - same as what's already on the front...

My front bushings were binding after about 15 minutes on the track.
It sounded like I had a front trunk monkey with a ball-peen hammer.
You could hear the banging getting worse in the gopro videos until I would eventually spin the car.

The last time I got it back to the paddock and jacked the car up immediately.
The RF wheel stayed up in the wheel well and had to be pushed down.

I was going to replace the bushings with the Elephant racing poly bronze bushings, but one of my carriers was out of round (presumably causing the binding).
So I was going to get the PB bushings AND the carrier upgrades from Elephant.
When you added that all together it was the same price as the sphericals, so I just got them instead.
Pretty much the very DAY AFTER I ordered the sphericals from Elephant, I found these for about $100 less:
http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...rfbk-detail.htm

Havent had it on the track yet with the new bushings though.
I will do the rears over the winter break.
dangerranger01
Got any pics of the repairs? What stiffening kit did you use? I am probably headed down this same path...
r_towle
I am so very sorry, but we will not honor your request to end this thread without more information.
naro914
I could just ignore you Rich and it would go away quietly... smile.gif

I'll get pictures when it gets back up on the lift. First, we replaced the entire inner console with a new one from Restoration Design. Then I got the entire strengthening kit from Chris Foley (Tangerine Racing). However, I learned that many of the parts cannot be installed if you have fenders already - you can't get to the outer sections with the fender in the way!!

So...I have a bunch of left over parts if anyone needs them. I'll sort out what exactly this weekend...might even get Huey up on a lift and take pictures!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 18 2015, 08:19 AM) *

However, I learned that many of the parts cannot be installed if you have fenders already - you can't get to the outer sections with the fender in the way!!

I disagree.
Cracker
Those are made by Rebel Racing...I have their rears in-the-mail now. Those fronts are expensive (FWIW: They're $350 from Rebel direct)!

Tony

QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 17 2015, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 28 2015, 06:58 AM) *

My front bushings were binding after about 15 minutes on the track.
It sounded like I had a front trunk monkey with a ball-peen hammer.
You could hear the banging getting worse in the gopro videos until I would eventually spin the car.

The last time I got it back to the paddock and jacked the car up immediately.
The RF wheel stayed up in the wheel well and had to be pushed down.

I was going to replace the bushings with the Elephant racing poly bronze bushings, but one of my carriers was out of round (presumably causing the binding).
So I was going to get the PB bushings AND the carrier upgrades from Elephant.
When you added that all together it was the same price as the sphericals, so I just got them instead.
Pretty much the very DAY AFTER I ordered the sphericals from Elephant, I found these for about $100 less:
http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...rfbk-detail.htm

Havent had it on the track yet with the new bushings though.
I will do the rears over the winter break.

scotty b
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 18 2015, 05:30 AM) *

However, I learned that many of the parts cannot be installed if you have fenders already - you can't get to the outer sections with the fender in the way!!

I disagree.

agree.gif to disagree shades.gif tongue.gif

Glad Huey is back !!
McMark
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2015, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 18 2015, 05:30 AM) *

I disagree.

agree.gif to disagree shades.gif tongue.gif

Glad Huey is back !!

Yup.
Ductech
How do you not correctly time a motor, I did timing belts on Ducatis for years, and Desmo valve adjustments. Sad some of these dudes can't put a timing chain on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.