Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The plenum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Drove the car to work today and it's running very well. When I got home I wanted to check a couple things. Don't know why I did it, but the last thing was to spray some carb cleaner around to check for vacuum leaks. When I sprayed some under the plenum, she almost stalled out. Sumbitch! I thought I'd found all the vacuum leaks.

Question is, what's under the plenum that might allow it to suck air? Could there be a crack?

Great, gives me another excuse to wrench on the car. Also should allow me to lean it out a bit more at the AFM. It's L-jet, btw.

Any ideas?
76-914
Absotootly! It's just a metal box and they do rot out. Pull it and check. Easy, peasy.
r_towle
Aliens
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2015, 09:41 PM) *

Aliens

I can reassure you there are no Aliens under there. Don't worry.
r_towle
Don't believe him, he was assimilated long ago assimilate.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 15 2015, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2015, 09:41 PM) *

Aliens

I can reassure you there are no Aliens under there. Don't worry.

This is *exactly* what an alien would say.
McMark
Yup, seen plenty of rusted out plenums.
Porschef
Thanks gents, that'll give me plenum to do this Saturday; I'll watch for both aliens and rust... wacko.gif
Porschef
Looks fine. I don't know what was making it almost want to stall with carb cleaner but I'll go through everything again mad.gif

At least I can clean up the compartment a bit. dry.gif

Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 17 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Looks fine. I don't know what was making it almost want to stall with carb cleaner but I'll go through everything again mad.gif

At least I can clean up the compartment a bit. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

How did you check it?
Mike Bellis
Run some green locktite across the welded seam. The green stuff is penetration grade and will seal any minor leaks in the weld.
76-914
water or air test it.
Porschef
Thanks guys. Mike, I thought about using RTV or some such but the green Loctite sounds like a great tip. beer.gif
falcor75
Check the gasket between the plenum and throttle body?
Porschef
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 18 2015, 06:23 AM) *

Check the gasket between the plenum and throttle body?

Yes I had and it was bad, replaced it a year or so ago. It was when I sprayed the carb cleaner under the plenum that it would almost stall.
EdwardBlume
Make sure you have your accelerator pedal stop intact and adjusted to stop the cable from over torquing the plenum.

I went through 2 plenums the hard way on my /4 AX car before figuring this out.
Porschef
Rob, had your's split at the seam underneath?
Porschef
Double post
SirAndy
Check the trough-tubes on the plenum. Almost all cracks i have seen where around those tubes and they can be somewhat hard to spot.

A pressure or water test will show ...
smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, wait, this isn't a 2.0L? Nevermind then ...
EdwardBlume
Like Andy said. The plenum gets torqued by the throttle cable extended farther than the mount can go. The whole plenum contorts and lets in air. More structurally than the seams.
Porschef
Andy, it's a 2056 with Ljet. Should that matter?
Trough tubes, are you referring to the runner connections?

Rob, I'm pretty sure the cable isn't yanking on the plenum, but I'll check after reassembly.

Thanks gentlemen
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 18 2015, 01:00 PM) *
Andy, it's a 2056 with Ljet. Should that matter?
Trough tubes, are you referring to the runner connections?

That's why i said "Oh, wait, this isn't a 2.0L? Nevermind then" ...

The 2.0L D-Jet plenum has hollow tubes that go through the plenum.
The 1.8L L-Jet plenum (which is what you have) does not.

And no, that has nothing to do with the intake runners.
smile.gif
Porschef
Ahh, ok.

Danke
EdwardBlume
Sorry. I've only owned 2.0s and burned 2 plenums in succession Axing.
r_towle
See, it's aliens.
Porschef
Uh, Rich, I'm starting to think you're right... alien_2.gif
r_towle
It won't leak when you put it back together, therefore......aliens.
Porschef
Ok, so, I put everything back together, started her up and tried the carb cleaner routine. Sprayed it under the plenum, and after a few seconds, the idle dropped and it wanted to stall.

Damn! No difference. No aliens either. So wtf?

Then, it dawned on me, after getting a whiff of the cleaner... rolleyes.gif

What was happening is the cleaner was getting heated, and then sucked into the snorkel. I verified it by adding a length of tube so it could suck fresh air from outside the engine compartment... dry.gif

So I'm real good at removing and replacing the plenum now. Gonna add it to my skill set list bootyshake.gif

Car was running so well. Lesson learned, don't fix what ain't broke beer.gif bs.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.