Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 27 Reasons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
At least 27 lbs reduction in the front bumper alone from the late model heavy bumper.

This is what it looks like when you take off all of the rubber.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Dave

Tom_T
....plus the 2 shocks, misc mounting bolts/nuts/hdwre & ribber cover & ditto at back!

IIRC it was in the neighborhood of 75-ish lbs added for F & R

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
My perspective on 15 reasons why NOT to backdate the late-style bumpers, in no particular order, anyone is free to disagree. Assuming your car is not a race car or customized hot rod:

1. Loss of the cars originality - impossible to get originality back once its lost
2. Loss of the cars front/rear safety bumper equipment
3. Loss of the cars value – both resale and long term
4. Loss of the cars integrity – attempting to make a late-model 914 something it is not
5. Loss of time spent to perform the backdating
6. Loss of money spent to perform the backdating
7. Loss of early bumper parts that are only correct on early 914s
8. Loss of better aerodynamics of the late front bumper
9. Requires at least selective painting where bumper side brackets are removed
10. Requires mods to chassis for early front/rear bumper mounting hardware
11. Requires mods to chassis for early foglights mounting hardware
12. Requires mods to chassis for early horn(s) mounting hardware
13. Requires custom wiring harness to adapt early foglights to 75-76 chassis harness
14. Requires custom wiring harness to adapt early license plate lights to 75-76 chassis harness
15. Creates remnant holes through chassis from removed bumper shocks
boxsterfan
If you want backdated bumpers, by a backdated 914. Haha!!

However, if you do own a 914 with tits, I suggest a mastectomy.
flmont
I like Tits,.....!!
Cairo94507
Me too....but I thought we were talking about 914 bumpers? huh.gif
bigkensteele
I would change the title to 58 reasons.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=225743
Cuda911
Wow, excellent rebuttal, Jeff! Some very good points you raise.

Since I don't want to back-date, for many of the reasons you list, I will never buy a '75 or '76.

(Well, I might, if the price were right).
arkitect
For a good condition teener, the temptation is always there if the price is right.

I only brought it up because I can't believe the weight/steel they put into the bumpers. On a plus side the 76 I got that bumper off of, everything was rusted out except the bumper.

IMHO I think the earlier bumpers look a lottttttttt better, but to each his own. I can see the value in either way. If we can keep these cars on the road were all doing our part.

Dave

kwlane
Anyone tried to lighten the bumper by removing some of that metal? Of making a light weight replacement for the metal core? Seems like if someone want to do the trade of somewhat less strength a lot of the extra weight could be cut out. I have a '76 and was thinking about making it lighter with my cutting torch.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(arkitect @ Sep 17 2015, 01:17 AM) *

IMHO I think the earlier bumpers look a lottttttttt better

agree.gif

PO backdated my 75 to body color 916 style with early style fog lights. As soon as I have the time, I'm backdating to metal bumpers and stock valances. No regrets. But then my car is a 2270 with naca ducts in the rockers to the external oil cooler, 911 suspension, tangerine headers and exhaust, etc etc etc. Going back to stock bumpers isn't really an option, and would probably degrade the car's value anyway.

The 914 didn't get it as bad as the MGB, but IMO the metal bumpers are preferable in either case.
arkitect
QUOTE(kwlane @ Sep 16 2015, 10:20 PM) *

Anyone tried to lighten the bumper by removing some of that metal? Of making a light weight replacement for the metal core? Seems like if someone want to do the trade of somewhat less strength a lot of the extra weight could be cut out. I have a '76 and was thinking about making it lighter with my cutting torch.

Click to view attachment

Zach did per the backdating previous referenced thread.

Dave

damesandhotrods
I got 99 problems, but backdated bumpers ain’t one. Parallel parking places are a fact of life if you ever drive your 914, so if I had a 914 with late bumpers I would not be in a hurry to backdate. But then again they only help if you don’t lower the car…
Stacks914
I took the front bumper off my 72 and it is surprisingly light. I guess I was thinking of the old heavy GM bumpers but it almost feels plastic.. My ex gf loved the 75 bumpers so I will just go throw them in her yard....
porschetub
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 17 2015, 02:49 PM) *

My perspective on 15 reasons why NOT to backdate the late-style bumpers, in no particular order, anyone is free to disagree. Assuming your car is not a race car or customized hot rod:

1. Loss of the cars originality - impossible to get originality back once its lost
4. Loss of the cars integrity – attempting to make a late-model 914 something it is not
13. Requires custom wiring harness to adapt early foglights to 75-76 chassis harness
14. Requires custom wiring harness to adapt early license plate lights to 75-76 chassis harness

Wow Jeff you waved the big stick with this reply,one you missed out was how much better they look with big bumpers av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Really the reason they get back dated is obvious to so many people wanting less weight, cleaner lines ,not sure about the safety issue ,as they did with the 911 it was only to get around the 5mph crash laws (1974 ?),BMW managed to ugly up there cars so bad with this.
Car makers of the time that imported to the US had all sorts of not so nice solutions,same with smog control, however that's another topic.
All these so called safety bumpers did @ the time was to cost the owner/insurers more in repairs.
I can't see Mark @ 914rubber replicating them in a big hurry but I might be wrong.
johannes
There is a thread about how to make light late bumpers

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=89595

I shaved about half of the weight on my front bumper (about 7 kgs) ... Rear one still to do.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cairo94507
I would buy a '75 but I would have to backdate the bumpers. I could not buy a '76 due to CA smog laws still requiring that car to go through smog checks for licensing.
maf914
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 16 2015, 11:24 PM) *

There is a thread about how to make light late bumpers

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=89595

I shaved about half of the weight on my front bumper (about 7 kgs) ... Rear one still to do.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The European 75-76 model bumpers were different from the US 75-76 models and did not include the bumper shock absorber system. The Haynes 914 manual shows some of the differences.
EdwardBlume
I used to hate the 75-76 bumpers and blamed them for the ultimate demise in production of a great car.

Now days, I actually am fine with them. I still hate the 75-76 turn from basket weave interior though.
914work
QUOTE(kwlane @ Sep 16 2015, 10:20 PM) *
Anyone tried to lighten the bumper by removing some of that metal? I have a '76 and was thinking about making it lighter with my cutting torch.

Kim here you go HERE
jeffzm
Well I have a unmolested low mile 75 coming from West Virginia, original so. Cal. Car so easy on the rust comments smile.gif. Not sure if I will or not backdate bumpers.
ConeDodger
Because 1975...
Porschef
Between bumpers and tops, fogs ad grilles, paint and hardware, backdating cost me about 375 clams.

I consider it an improvement, but that's just me. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 16 2015, 10:49 PM) *

Don't care. Not ever going to try to get the originality back.

Have you seen what happens to a late model 914 in a minor crash? Not much of a loss...

Mine's worth much more than before...

Not concerning and I'm not pretending.

I had the time and enjoyed spending it.

Money, thank goodness, is not a big concern for me...

WTF.gif those cars are V E R Y long gone...

My car is much faster now and they weren't that much better aerodynamically.

Done. Not really that difficult.

Easy peasy...

Done. Easy peasy...

No it doesn't. Mine are still right where they were under the car...

Whew! That was a tough 15 minutes...

Really? Next...

Which I patched and painted.

All in all a very satisfying Saturday afternoon...
eyesright
I back dated mostly because I wanted an LE Wannabe Cremesickle and found a rust free '76. I drove it for several thousand miles before I went to work on it...new paint, early bumpers, engine home overhaul. Now I have 35k miles on it. No regrets but I do realize the later heavy bumpers drive a little better on the interstate.

BTW, I have a nice set of '76 bumpers and nearly new looking rubber covers for PU if anybody wants them. I'm in SW Oklahoma. One of these days I'll run them in the classified listings.
johannes
QUOTE(eyesright @ Sep 17 2015, 08:56 AM) *

BTW, I have a nice set of '76 bumpers and nearly new looking rubber covers

BTW those late bumper last much longer than the early one.

mrholland2
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 16 2015, 08:22 PM) *

Can't you replace the tits with mini tits from the new bumpers so you don't have to mess with the holes?
Bob L.
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 17 2015, 04:56 PM) *

Can't you replace the tits with mini tits from the new bumpers so you don't have to mess with the holes?

I've seen pic's of that. I like it
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 17 2015, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Sep 17 2015, 04:56 PM) *

I've seen pic's of that. I like it

agree.gif
found a couple threads -searched +reduction in titles only and a couple came up - but seems like there was another thread more recently where somebody used smaller tits from some other mid-70's models porsche that I thought looked better -at least better in the pics posted in the thread
beerchug.gif
cjl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.