Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Lock Won't Lock/Unlock With Key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
Attempted to lock my door with the key and there was no resistance. I pulled the door handle and found that one of the tabs on the end of the tumbler that indexes with the lever had worn off. Does anyone know if tumbler assemblies are available and do they cross reference to a VW part?
Thank you,
Jack
914Sixer
911 & 914 are interchangeable. VW will not work
TheCabinetmaker
Do you have a pic of the part you need?
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry, my second ever double post.
JRust
QUOTE(jack20 @ Sep 17 2015, 03:44 PM) *

Hello,
Attempted to lock my door with the key and there was no resistance. I pulled the door handle and found that one of the tabs on the end of the tumbler that indexes with the lever had worn off. Does anyone know if tumbler assemblies are available and do they cross reference to a VW part?
Thank you,
Jack

So you need the complete cylinder right? Or the end piece that attaches to the cylinder? Either way I'm happy to ship you either part. At Red Rocks so it would be next week. Shoot a pic to be sure & post it. then get me your address smile.gif
jack20
Thank you for the responses.
Here is a picture of the part. I was calling it a tumbler. Maybe it's called a cylinder?i included the part that attaches to the cylinder.it would probably be wise to get both since there is likely wear on both causing the problem.
Jack
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Stick the key into that tumbler.
All wafers need to be flush with the key in place.
Using a Dremel, grind down the wafers that are sticking up,
Clean it all with a good carb cleaner or alcohol and fed rid of all the graphite
Lube with light oil

Put it back into the housing, should work
TheCabinetmaker
Hard to see in the pic, but the cam looks to be fine. It only has that one tab. You'll need to pull the wafers and clean then relube. Pull the wafers one at a time and place them carefully in order so they go back in the same slots. Notice the two sets of slots are offset from each other. Carefully pull the 10 little springs and put them in a small container of lacquer thinner or acetone. Clean the wafers one at a time. Put it back together. In that same small container add some powered graphite them mix in some more thinner. The graphite will be suspended in the thinner, but not dissolved. Soak the cylinder in the thinner then take it out. The thinner will evaporate leaving a thin coat of graphite without gumming it up. If you need parts, pm me.
jack20
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 18 2015, 05:06 AM) *

Hard to see in the pic, but the cam looks to be fine. It only has that one tab. You'll need to pull the wafers and clean then relube. Pull the wafers one at a time and place them carefully in order so they go back in the same slots. Notice the two sets of slots are offset from each other. Carefully pull the 10 little springs and put them in a small container of lacquer thinner or acetone. Clean the wafers one at a time. Put it back together. In that same small container add some powered graphite them mix in some more thinner. The graphite will be suspended in the thinner, but not dissolved. Soak the cylinder in the thinner then take it out. The thinner will evaporate leaving a thin coat of graphite without gumming it up. If you need parts, pm me.

Thanks for the detailed response Curt. I'll clean it up,as you described.
What's happening is if I hold the lever in place and turn the key back and forth, as if to lock and unlock the door, it feels stripped in the unlock motion and functional in the lock motion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.