Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I'm having an issue with the drivers side engine tin that covers the shift rod on my side shifter trans. After installing the bottom drivers side engine tin I found that it was touching the shift rod and I couldn't shift into reverse or first gear. I have a 1.8 with SS exhaust, since the shift rod is locked into place with the conical screws the only adjustment place I see is at the shift lever. I'm also using a short shifter. Has anyone run into this problem before? How close does the engine tin normally come to the shift rod?

Thanks,
Jsaum
914Sixer
Thinking bent shift rod.
r_towle
Please post pic of tin.
There are two types.
Dave_Darling
Yup, probably has an early piece of tin. The ones for the tail-shift transmissions bend down to go under the shift rod, the ones for the side-shift transmissions bend upward to go over the shift rod. Using the wrong one will cause interference.

--DD
jsaum
I must have the early tin here's a picture. Does anyone have a picture of a letter one? Thanks,
Jsaum
stugray
Strange I converted from tail to side shift and had no interference.

I also do not recognize that engine tin.
Maybe I am missing one.
Can we get a pic of it on the car?
TheCabinetmaker
That's an early side shift tin. It goes over the rod. Is your car a 74?
jsaum
My car is a 72, I converted it to the side shifter trans. Looks like I need the later tin.
r_towle
Yup, you need the later side shifter tin.
Place a WTB in the classifieds or as Bruce Stone or
Garold Shafer
ndfrigi
If you remove that tin and your shifting is doing fine, just remove that or maybe find a replacement for that tin. I believed that is basically part of the heater tins. Currently, I don't have that tin installed but my car is running well.

Click to view attachment
jsaum
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 20 2015, 07:05 PM) *

If you remove that tin and your shifting is doing fine, just remove that or maybe find a replacement for that tin. I believed that is basically part of the heater tins. Currently, I don't have that tin installed but my car is running well.

Click to view attachment

Thanks, yes I did take it off. Now I'm looking for one just because I like to keep things as stock as possible. I'll probably never tell any difference in the way the cars runs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.