Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Stacks914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Stacks914
Well this is the second time doing the passenger and there will be a third things go crooked when they get hot. Progress has been slow but I am having progress. I did get 100ft of 1-1/2 DOM and my bender in. Learning a lot...like I need a chassis jig ...lol
Mr.C
Take a look at the Locost 7 builds on google. They get away with using some pretty small square tubing. If anything it'll give you some more ideas. Just one motherfuckers 2cents.
Stacks914
Lmao thanks will do! I do like that site. I do think a birdcage style car would be really cool. piratenanner.gif

I am going to try and tack weld in my bracing up I have cut out for this. Plus some extra I will cut out later. I do need to do the passenger side again though. Not too much just need to relax and move slow.
Mr.C
Yeah, Locost 7 builds get my blood flowing, lots of great ideas that can be transfered over. I've been contemplating using my 951 track car as a donor for a build. Bought the book, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger after a day of autoxing in a car that works well.
Stacks914
Ok the front is almost done. Took A LONG time of do's and redo's and still need to add some stuff but the bones are played and just the front is completely square. Been busy with Autumn and work stuff but hopefully I can get some time in. I decided to go with 255.up front. I thought the stock tire was 25 inches and these are 25.4. Anyway I think they will look great when done.
stevegm
Stacks914, please PM me. We need some info from you for the Challenge shirt.
Stacks914
Pm sent Steve!! Also if anyone has a clever or unique idea I can have for a water/methanol injection tank please post it! car related obviously!! Thank you updates coming soon
rick 918-S
Ambitious build. Keep at it! welder.gif
Stacks914
Anyways this project is back on....currently. I ran into some personal issues and could not complete car on time. So what I have learned is I cannot figure out the suspension points. So I bought some frame rails. Really great idea after endless hours of searching. I finally said fuck it and spent the 300 on front and rear. Here the car is coming out of storage
Stacks914
You can see in the last picture I have bent the rear main hoop
Stacks914
Here suspension is put this under the car to get an idea how wide it will be. I have some rust issues to take care of prior to getting suspension fit. Also want to get interior cage built and build off that. Will most likely tie in corvette frame rails as engine and trans fit inside. Need to put a bar in rear off car that sticks out about 2 inches and rear rails should weld up. Leaf springs might be an issue and will convert to coil over if that Is the case.
Stacks914
I think I might be able to get away with 3 inch flares on either side. The track is 72 inches with 305 35 18 nitto nt1. So maybe an expert can chime in? Also have engine semi prepped need to take off truck harmonic balancer and add the corvette one I have. Have intake off that needs to be flipped and f body oil pan needs put on and turbo drain feed drilled. So really the 2 days I spent getting the stuck in header bolts off and trying to find a decent pair of heads. That is semi prepped I guess. The f body oil pan is is only 5 inches deep compared with the 9 inch truck pan. Dry sump was considered but cost was too great. About just trashed the 5.3 and bought a 6.0 due to heads but the 100 bucks it drill bits saved the day. As the screw removers got stuck in two bolts and broke off. Which blows or blew as getting them out was a nightmare. Plus the 5.3 will put out more than enough power for the boxster trans. Which when c8 comes out will probably get replaced with that trans.
mbseto
Impressive footprint.
timothy_nd28
Eric is a good guy and does awesome work, but he's very slow.
I like the power steering assist idea. I don't like the controller, seems like you will need to turn the potentiometer all the time. Is there a aftermarket controller that listens to a VSS instead?
Stacks914
Thanks mbesto and Tim I am not sure exactly how it works, it's my understanding you only need to turn it to set how much assist you would like.. I spent the day stripping goo from door sills and getting rear of trunk smoothed down.
Stacks914
Here I got a little over zealous with the sawzall. Though the inner fender walls are too far apart for tire/a-arms so will fab own wells after rear frame gets installed
Stacks914
With a sawzal you can do anything
Stacks914
Just allow me to stuff this in there....
Stacks914
This is when you just stare for 2 hours wondering exactly how this is going to happen.
Stacks914
It's getting lower
Stacks914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 28 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Eric is a good guy and does awesome work, but he's very slow.
I like the power steering assist idea. I don't like the controller, seems like you will need to turn the potentiometer all the time. Is there a aftermarket controller that listens to a VSS instead?

Yes Ericks products look great and he was slow. I didn't need it anytime soon but a more accurate timeliness would have been appreciated but I would do buisnesses with him again.
Stacks914
Here is am getting an ides of the well that I need as this is tire off floor this needs 2 inches added to it and suspension travel. Got some ideas but nothing yet. Also the rear frame rails are mocked up. Going to release really in morning just to be sure.
Stacks914
In the land of coulda, shoulda, woulda I would have bought the rails with the rear bumper attached. As I will have to fab one and by fab one I mean order one off ebay.. also an area on concern in the lower suspension subframe working with the porsche boxster trans in regards to clearance so then I would have to get a flipped g50 and not deal with the shifty ratios. Unless of course the g50 has shifty ratios as well. Also anyone recommend a good axle fabricator? I would also want to know if anyone has used a painless wiring kit? As I just chopped all the wires off as a lot were rusted out. Actually that last part about being rusted out is bullshit...lol
Stacks914
Then to remeasure and wonder what the fuck you where doing
Stacks914
Though this car has the Brad Meyer kit it's well....this is what I am dealing with today
Stacks914
This harmonic balancer took about 8 hours total to get off 3 different pullers where used but it's done. The suspension below came off the car if someone wants it. The front shock on passenger side is damaged and the rear no no brakes. I sent them to someone and they disappeared in mail.
KevinW
PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.