Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight doesn't go up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
Out driving last night, and my driver's side headlight wouldn't go up when I pulled the headlight switch so I had to manually crank it up with the thumbwheel on the back of the headlight motor. But to my surprise, it went back down by itself when I turned the headlights off.

Is this an issue with the relay, the motor, or something else?

I rarely drive at night, but prior to this the headlight on that side used to wink (go up and down twice) when I turned the headlights on. Not sure if that was a related issue.
mepstein
The motor only spins in one direction so if it goes down, the motor is good.
era vulgaris
That's good to know! I'm guessing maybe an issue with the relay then. Someone once told me that the winking was due to a bad relay, but I thought it gave the car character so I never did anything about. Maybe it finally failed. I'll put it on the test bench and see if it activates or not.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 20 2015, 09:53 AM) *

That's good to know! I'm guessing maybe an issue with the relay then. Someone once told me that the winking was due to a bad relay, but I thought it gave the car character so I never did anything about. Maybe it finally failed. I'll put it on the test bench and see if it activates or not.

Mine does the same thing (winks) and I also like the character it adds (which I find amusing). A complete failure is less amusing, however. Let us know what you find.
Dave_Darling
The relay powers the motor; if the motor spins then the relay is likely good.

The headlight switch might have a problem, or the wiring from the switch to the headlight motor assemblies. Or maybe even one of the microswitches inside the assembly which say that the light is up or down.

--DD
bandjoey
My Winking was cured with all the grounds being cleaned. Never hurts to try. Might be why they didn't go up. I took off the wires and it was gray under there, not bright metal

Hope that helps
sfrenck
I had problems like that - turned out my wiring was melted thru in various spots between the fuses and the headlight motors.

Replacing the wiring fixed it.
mepstein
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Sep 21 2015, 12:35 PM) *

I had problems like that - turned out my wiring was melted thru in various spots between the fuses and the headlight motors.

Scott - I think I had similar issue when mice got a wire or 2. Right?
era vulgaris
So I cleaned the grounds at the headlight. Nothing.
Then I cleaned the three contacts in the multi-pin plug. Bingo! piratenanner.gif

EZ PZ fix. Headlight works perfectly, although sadly it no longer winks. But I'm very glad I didn't have to replace any parts!
mepstein
my old car used to wink. I liked it. Maybe we could developed a mod to do it if we want.
era vulgaris
The easiest way would be to splice in an additional spst switch into the wire that goes from the relay coil to ground. Then you could control the winking, and do it anytime you wanted to without the headlight turning off.
Add a switch for each side, and then you could control both of them independently.
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 21 2015, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Sep 21 2015, 12:35 PM) *

Scott - I think I had similar issue when mice got a wire or 2. Right?

Right - just where the wires went through the firewall they were melted / eaten and were intermittently touching other things.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Sep 21 2015, 11:18 AM) *

So I cleaned the grounds at the headlight. Nothing.
Then I cleaned the three contacts in the multi-pin plug. Bingo! piratenanner.gif

EZ PZ fix. Headlight works perfectly, although sadly it no longer winks. But I'm very glad I didn't have to replace any parts!

I love happy endings! cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.