Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT maybe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
My buddy ask if a type 4 can be put in his 1971 bug? any links would be cool.
oldschool
biggrin.gif
Steve
QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 20 2015, 05:07 PM) *

My buddy ask if a type 4 can be put in his 1971 bug? any links would be cool.

I heard of it being done in a baja bug or dune buggy,but the front fan prevents it from fitting in a bug
Tom_T
I've seen them in Ghias with some tin/engine bay wall mods, usually using the late Bay Window Bus T-4 motor since it's already set-up to fit the van as a taildragger.

So I would think that you could work a Bus T-4 into a Bug as well, but not sure how much work.

You can check with Ron at FAT Performance in Orange, as he's build as many T-4s as anyone - race, off-road & street, including many Baja 500/1000 winners over the years. IIRC a certain T-4 engine builder back east in GA learned the trade from Ron or one of his sub-contractors out here in SoCal.

http://fatperformance.com/home/

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
Yes, it was a common swap.

Use an old type one round fan cover
Use two sets of type four head tin, sectioned to make up two head tins that basically use the back half of our 914 tin on both ends, so all the air comes from the round fan.

Type4 secrets and shoptalk forums has some threads on how to build it....not terribly hard to do.

Cip1 and a German firm have the unique generator stand that fits on op of the oil filler tower.

Rich
r_towle
Tell your friend to lookup "German look" beetles
It's European origins but basically is a type 4 motor into a beetle as the common mod.
bandjoey
the samba.com. Lots of the
Mark Henry
Read my signature....the bit about the '67 bug
DBCooper
Yeah, big block bug. If anyone's interested I have one of Joe Locicero's original (pre-Raby) DTM fan shrouds left over. Converts the T4 cooling to upright so it fits in a T1 and even still has Joe's own handwritten assembly notes.

Mark Henry
The fastest T4 conversion is a DTM fan shroud with the surround kit, a type 4 200mm conversion flywheel, beetle clutch (KEP stage 1 PP) and a pair of weber IDF carbs.

Joe Locicero shroud is ok, but will take you a fair bit of fab work.

A long time ago I worked on a bug with a T4 fan what a total POS install, ended up changing it to a Sharpbuilt (911 fan).
One cool thing I did was when replacing the rear apron was I left it unwelded so the apron could be removed when R&Ring the engine.

What I did is a all metal cross between a VW, Joe Locicero and DTM shroud
Turned out nice, but I'd never do again just because of the time it took to build.
Mine is also a bit of a tighter fit because I used a 911-901 transmission.
Here's a pic, bit dirty because it's my summer daily driver.
Jake Raby
2270 Roller Cam with A/C and V2 DTM
EdwardBlume
The real deal old time 356 racers used TIV motors....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.