Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
StratPlayer
Update: Safety chains are mounted, found a great spot for my blackstar decal. Got my lights for on the road today.
BTW the chains don't come with the tongue.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 7 2017, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2017, 10:48 AM) *

Mark,

Has there been any progress on your making of the actual tow bar (hitch to car)? I thought I remember some conversation about you making that piece similar (but improved) to the EMPI product.

We had not made the tow bar as shipping on this seems to be a little spendy so we tried to keep it simple. The idea had been to allow it to be picked up locally for a source like harbor freight (same with the lights). Just like the ones Rich had pictured. Didn't make any sense to have to charge shipping if they could be obtained locally.

A note on the lights- don't upgrade to the LED ones (harbor freight) as the wire will wear out before the bulbs burn out.

I will personally go to check out the Walmart version tomorrow to see if it's substantial and confirm a direct fit.
They run $43.70 and about $20 in shipping if you can't pick up locally. At this price why re invent the wheel?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Roc-Tools-TD...13=&veh=sem

Also the lights are at harbor freight $14.99 I have bought at $9.99 on sale so you just have to watch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magne...-kit-63100.html

Sure I could buy them on sale and make a few bucks on ya, but with shipping you really do better to get locally.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 7 2017, 07:10 PM) *

I will personally go to check out the Walmart version tomorrow to see if it's substantial and confirm a direct fit.

They run $43.70 and about $20 in shipping if you can't pick up locally. At this price why re invent the wheel?

Good information - thanks Mark.

I am anxious to see if the fit is good - cheers!
forrestkhaag
I am in the final stages av-943.gif of installation of the 6 / so I have to tow my car from my shop to home in Laguna every day that I want to work on the tub w/o the motor.

I could summarize the California codes related to towing, short term public street storage ( 24 hours or less), long term 24 hour + public storage of vehicles w/o powertrain, Vehicles of public concern for hazards, visual impairments of vehicular vernacular,... well, you get the idea... lets leave that sheeplove.gif to the lame politicians and move on... literally.

What I did for towing of the 914 works great.

I fabricated two simple brackets that act as tow bar recievers. they are mounted in the front trunk area and take up no real useable area. My full sized spare remains in place.

My 914-6 oil cooler remains in place with its shroud and cooling fan beneath.

Front trunk storage remains fairly decent as 914's go, with all of this going on.

What works here is that you simply carry the tow bar yoke in the tow vehicle. To that you add the two inserts thru the front bumper of the 914 which binds the 914 frame to the tow vehicle. Add a dash of HFT tow lights and away you go.

The lovely Wife (or Dave) has all the comforts of luggage and stuff in the SUV and we have a 914 effortlessly tagging along to whatever drive is on the agenda.

This tow system is supplemented with the insertion of two driving lights on receiver bars wired as plug-ins to the factory fog light circuit. The fixtures hide the two square holes in the bumper and works cool to light up the forward road.

Then there is chrome..... We, that have black bumpers, rule! stirthepot.gif lol-2.gif

Want pix? PM and I will show you the working detail if you want to see how this works for me.. but i am working daily on the 6 conversion...

Rand
All stop. That is one stellar pic.
IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 7 2017, 04:20 PM) *

Update: Safety chains are mounted, found a great spot for my blackstar decal. Got my lights for on the road today.
BTW the chains don't come with the tongue.

Jimmy - I surprised you aren't playing though Fuchs: http://www.americanmusical.com/Fuchs-Amps

smile.gif
Mikey914
Took a good look at these and the Walmart in Harbor Freight version will not bolt up directly. I did find that I could easily make an adapter plate that would allow the new style of these tow brackets to be used. I'm working on that now. It just makes more sense to pick one up at Harbor Freight or Walmart then to have to ship it. Currently the Harbor Freight model is $69 full price and is subject to the 20% discount for their special members Club. So this would put a towbar available for local pickup in the same price as the Walmart bar. I'll keep you posted on the pricing for the adapters but they shouldn't be too bad.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 10 2017, 09:26 AM) *

I'll keep you posted on the pricing for the adapters but they shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks Mark!
76-914
I built this to use Mark's Bar a few weeks ago but just now got around to paint. I put about $75 into it. eTrailer has any component you need to build your own. I have the 2" ball, used .125 2" tube, etc.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 12 2017, 04:47 PM) *

I built this to use Mark's Bar a few weeks ago but just now got around to paint. I put about $75 into it. eTrailer has any component you need to build your own. I have the 2" ball, used .125 2" tube, etc.

Well done! I will give you $76 dollars for it! smile.gif

Seriously - very pro looking work - cheers!
76-914

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Very nice.
StratPlayer
Got everything installed as per 914 rubber recommendations and I'm ready for the rt.66 rally.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Apr 17 2017, 11:41 AM) *

Got everything installed as per 914 rubber recommendations and I'm ready for the rt.66 rally.

Jimmy,

What is your ground clearance with the tow bar attached?
StratPlayer
My ground clearance seems to be fine, I have a funky driveway, have to come in it at an angle, the car seems to clear it just fine. I will be careful where I have doubts.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Apr 17 2017, 11:47 AM) *

My ground clearance seems to be fine, I have a funky driveway, have to come in it at an angle, the car seems to clear it just fine. I will be careful where I have doubts.

Thanks - I will see you at Red Rocks in September - cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.