Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Subaru conversion help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Ok, looking for some help on the fuel system. I'd like to put the pump in the tank like the big boys do. What do I buy? Thanks
BIGKAT_83
I've done 5 tanks using a mid 90's Subaru Impreza tank mount. Really works good, just takes a few mods and fits right in the stock tank sump. I'm working on someone else's car now that will be a heavy duty track car and plan to make a sump pump system like the below picture. With this you use a low pressure pump to supply fuel to the smaller tank which has a very deep sump.
Click to view attachment

Bob welder.gif
jimkelly
here are two pics of a suby fuel pump installed in a 914 gas tank. like you, I do not know what year or model suby these pumps came out of. I think routing the fuel lines from top of tank to bottom can be a PITA??

for those that choose to use an aftermarket fuel pump, what fake signal would the ecu need to receive?

if I remember correctly, when using a Subaru ecu, a few fake signal s need to be sent to it. I forget which. looks like I need to read some threads again. I think tonyakavw thread mentions many of the fake signals an ecu needs to see.
914forme
agree.gif Impreza, try to find one in the bone yard, with a metal surround.

Ha, Bob that is what I am doing on my car, rock crawlers use it all the time, they are super easy to build, and make sue that in fast transitions the supply stays with the fuel.

Most of the rock crawler crowd use a large Napa fuel filter, it holds a just enough to keep them from stalling out.

The Impreza pump will look like this.

Click to view attachment

Kent did a nice write up on using it with the 914 tank. It think it was Kent, I know Bob has used them too, I have read to many builds they are all blurring together.

mepstein
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 27 2015, 06:21 PM) *

I've done 5 tanks using a mid 90's Subaru Impreza tank mount. Really works good, just takes a few mods and fits right in the stock tank sump. I'm working on someone else's car now that will be a heavy duty track car and plan to make a sump pump system like the below picture. With this you use a low pressure pump to supply fuel to the smaller tank which has a very deep sump.
Click to view attachment

Bob welder.gif

Bob - any chance you can explain those few mods. Appreciate the help. Thanks. Mark
914forme
This one might do it better.

Click to view attachment

You got to love Flow arrows
BIGKAT_83
Tanks INC. make a far easier to use set up than the Impreza. It cost about $30 and could be mounted in the 914 tank with only a hole the size of the pump needed.
The tank that Jim Picture is one of mine. I think the first one I did for a Subaru.
I've also done some for the V8 Ls1 cars using a stock Camaro pump and regulator.
TANKS INC Mount

Click to view attachment

and here is one with the pump mounted
Click to view attachment

Bob
Chris H.
The in-tank pump is one of my next mods. The external walbro pump works great but it is LOUD. Bob's was super quiet in his blue car. Just a barely detectable sound like a tone almost. Think I'll check out his recommendation. I have a couple of extra tanks in the storage space in case I mess up biggrin.gif .

And BTW for the EG33 you can get the adjustable fuel pressure regulator they sell on that site and dial it up a bit to get a little more performance. stock is 37, many people dial it up to 40-42.

So Bob, you just attach any compatible fuel pump to that thing?
mepstein
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 27 2015, 07:42 PM) *

Tanks INC. make a far easier to use set up than the Impreza. It cost about $30 and could be mounted in the 914 tank with only a hole the size of the pump needed.
The tank that Jim Picture is one of mine. I think the first one I did for a Subaru.
I've also done some for the V8 Ls1 cars using a stock Camaro pump and regulator.
TANKS INC Mount

Click to view attachment

and here is one with the pump mounted
Click to view attachment

Bob

That looks like something I could handle. Please realize you need to dumb it way down for me. Part numbers that I can order would be perfect.
Chris H.
Here's the link:

Tanks inc

jimkelly
from tony's thread.
sort of OT if one is sticking with components that will TALK to stock subaru ecu, but i think no matter what some signals will need to be faked?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...k%22&st=100

Okay, so I will be simulating the following sensors..

Fuel level sender (0.12 to 4.95 volts)
Fuel Temp sender (2.5 to 3.8 volts)
Fuel Tank Pressure sender (2.3 to 2.7 volts)
Rear O2 sensor signal (0 - 0.9 volts)
Neutral position sensor (+12 in neutral, 0 when in gear)
Rear O2 heater sensor signal (0-1.0 volts)
Power Steering oil pressure sender (open/close)

There may be one more, I'm still finalizing the wiring...

Most of these wil use small 10-turn potentiometers to set the desired signal voltage, but I may end up using real metal-film resistors in the end, as they are a bit more reliable.

-Tony
jpnovak
I mounted a Bosch fuel pump behind the access panel in the Frunk on my Suby conversion. Was the easiest way. return to the tank when finished. Installed a pre-filter before the pump and never had any issues.
Chris H.
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Sep 28 2015, 11:26 PM) *

I mounted a Bosch fuel pump behind the access panel in the Frunk on my Suby conversion. Was the easiest way. return to the tank when finished. Installed a pre-filter before the pump and never had any issues.

As long as it's quiet....the Walbro is NOT biggrin.gif . Any idea which one you used?
jimkelly
are you using a subaru ecu?

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Sep 28 2015, 09:26 PM) *

crawler
Does someone make programmer for the suby. I would like to just turn things on on off. I use EFLive for my LS engine.
jimkelly
you mean aftermarket ecu?

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/ems_computers.htm
Chris H.
QUOTE(crawler @ Oct 1 2015, 05:41 PM) *

Does someone make programmer for the suby. I would like to just turn things on on off. I use EFLive for my LS engine.

Subarugears also makes a controller that will simulate many of the causes of the CEL if you want to use the stock ECU. This would be for later cars.

Subatronics

And just think of the song "Supersonic" when you see Subatronics. I know I did all day today. You're welcome thumb3d.gif!

Also just found this cool list of engines with a lot of detail about them:

Latest Subaru Engines

Good stuff.
partwerks
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 27 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Ha, Bob that is what I am doing on my car, rock crawlers use it all the time, they are super easy to build, and make sue that in fast transitions the supply stays with the fuel.

Most of the rock crawler crowd use a large Napa fuel filter, it holds a just enough to keep them from stalling out.

Click to view attachment

Kent did a nice write up on using it with the 914 tank. It think it was Kent, I know Bob has used them too, I have read to many builds they are all blurring together.

How close to the bottom of the tank does it get, or does it go inside that pipe shaped baffle?
partwerks
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 27 2015, 04:35 PM) *

I have a PA-4 with the LS3.
ClayPerrine
Why can't you use an external EFI pump like the Airtex E8445? I have one of those on my big six, so pressure and volume is not an issue. Is there some kind of feedback that the Subi factory pump does to the ECU?

Clay
mepstein
Wow, I forgot I started this project so long ago. The car is in the capable hands of Scott Amenson. He'll do whatever he feel best to get it running right. We hope to see it on the road this fall. driving.gif
76-914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 30 2022, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 27 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

How close to the bottom of the tank does it get, or does it go inside that pipe shaped baffle?

It's in here somewhere. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=201776
Chris H.
I would add that back then my Walbro 255 pump was vibrating excessively against the body of the car. I re-installed it with the included bracket and now it is barely audible.
willieg
I used a Tanks PA-2 on my brother-in-law’s 914. If you measure and cut carefully, the fuel pump can be positioned so it fits into the stock gas tank sump. The filler and fuel level sender stay in the same place. The next time I have to pull my engine,I am going to do the same thing on my 914.
waltonsm
I used a hyper fuel in tank assembly. Cut a hole and bolt holes and dropped it right into the center of the 914 fuel tank baffle. I use the 914 oem level sender to aftermarket gauges, added a new filler, impact switch, rollover valve and a charcoal breather. I have several in trunk photos of the plumbing and wiring in the thread in my signature, but some photos of the tank start near post 3.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.