Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 motor value question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rightpedal
To finance my build I have to get rid of the spares. One that is taking up some real estate is the 1.8. I don't know much about the motor. It spins free and has housed a family of mice.

So the question is Where is its real value. Separate the tin, alternator, distributor, heads and sell the pieces? Sell the whole motor. It will take a bit of work to make it run. Is the cost/benefit worth it.

SteveClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
What I see is a 1.7 L engine. The crust on the throttle body and fan housing are indications of water corrosion. As long as the plugs where kept in the heads motor should be a core motor.
JeffBowlsby
agree.gif Its a 1.7L The 1.7L/1.8L engines are hard to sell for any amount of money. You will sit on it for awhile until you realize they are not worth anything then probably end of giving it away to anyone that will take it, maybe a high school autoshop for educational purposes. Essentially no significant value, even as parts
Mueller
I have 2 1.7 motors here at home....

One was free , parts or core motor for rebuild

The rebuilt runner was $500 ( a few broken exhaust studs which brought the price down a little)
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 1 2015, 08:12 PM) *

agree.gif Its a 1.7L The 1.7L/1.8L engines are hard to sell for any amount of money. You will sit on it for awhile until you realize they are not worth anything then probably end of giving it away to anyone that will take it, maybe a high school autoshop for educational purposes. Essentially no significant value, even as parts

Except the earlier 1.7 Cases make a better build than a 2.0 case. The EA, Then W (Not WO) W cases should be checked for windage plate registers. Then the 2.0 GA, GB, GC. The metallurgy is a little nicer in the early cases, and they are thicker under the center area next to where the cylinders meet on the inside, so better support.
rightpedal
Thanks all. I am a rookie at 914s...so all good info.

1.7 got it. What i'm getting from the posts is that there is near zero value in the motor. What about the tin, alternator, distributor, ect

Steve
barefoot
Do you have the whole FI system, or just what's in the photos ?
Some valuable parts there.
mepstein
Near zero value but a good core to have for a full rebuild. If you have space to put it in a corner your good.
dlee6204
QUOTE(rightpedal @ Oct 2 2015, 06:33 AM) *

Thanks all. I am a rookie at 914s...so all good info.

1.7 got it. What i'm getting from the posts is that there is near zero value in the motor. What about the tin, alternator, distributor, ect

Steve

IMO Maybe 30-40 for the distributor, throttle body 20, injectors 10, alternator doesn't really have value, 40-50 for the full set of tin if not rusted/cut. If the engine fan still has all of its blades it would be 100. Head about 40 as cores. Block doesn't really have a value.

I could use those injectors if you want to sell.
G e o r g e
The rockers themselves are 100.

You should be able to move the whole thing easy at 200 with the rockers, let whomever wants the rockers part out the balance.

Ymmv

You can make more but it could take a while.

stinkindiesel
I hate to think a 1.7 isn't worth anything. I'd love to have one for a spare, but shipping is prohibitive. Can't seem to find one nearby...

Gary
bretth
I don't see how any 1.7 or 1.8 can be considered value less if it makes your car go compared to sitting and rotting away for years, sounds pretty valuable to me. Also remember how much more a running car sells for than one that doesn't. So unless you are sure the motor is toast it has plenty of value.

Brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.