Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Struts/Drop Spindles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seventyfive914
I'd like to run dropped spindles on my car and seem to recall reading somewhere about the availablity of them. Also, what's up with the nine holes with the rubber plugs along the lower edge of the front trunk that are visible with the bumper off? Also, for a car that's going to be set up for limited street use and see mostly track application could you leave off the rotor backing plates for increased air circulation to assist with heat dissipation? Lastly, do the headlight buckets serve any purpose as far as gusseting the front corners of the tub? I'm going to have fixed exterior lights (like a ralley car) to make the car street legal so I'm considering cutting out the buckets for the stock headlights unless it will compromise the structural integrity of the tub. -K-
TimT
dropped spindles? as in raising the ride height?

most here want to raise the spindles, and allow lowering the car while maintaining proper suspension geometry
McMark
Dropped spindles is the common term for lowering he ride. rolleyes.gif

Talk to Chris at CFR Welding, Racer Chris here, http://www.tangerineracing.com/
TimT
That must be counter-intuitive then.. rolleyes.gif

for example.. RSR struts are "raised spindle" struts, many people try to emulate these RSR struts by raising the spindles on stock struts.

with the spindles raised you can lower the car and maintain some semblance of correct suspension geometry.

one would think "dropped spindles" would be the opposite

must just be new definitions

rolleyes.gif
McMark
I never said it made sense. tongue.gif
Trekkor
You can lower the car as far as you like. I have steering rack spacers to bring it all back together wink.gif Bump steer kit.

KT
ChrisFoley
Thanks Mark!

Raised spindles is much more accurate terminology, like Tim said.
I can modify your struts, including re-bending the steering arm to restore proper bump geopmetry.
It's usually a good idea to use the steering rack spacers as well.
Here's the link to My Suspension Webpage
DBCooper
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 6 2005, 06:17 PM)
That must be counter-intuitive then.. rolleyes.gif

for example.. RSR struts are "raised spindle" struts, many people try to emulate these RSR struts by raising the spindles on stock struts.

with the spindles raised you can lower the car and maintain some semblance of correct suspension geometry.

one would think "dropped spindles" would be the opposite

must just be new definitions

rolleyes.gif

The term comes from hot rodders in the fifties, so it's nearly as old as p-cars themselves. The term is a description of the part's distinctive function, spindles made to "drop" the car a few inches, rather than the appearance of the part itself. To me that's actually more intuitive, but that may just be because that's how I first learned the term. In fact in the hot rod world the term "raised spindles" itself world would raise a few eyebrows. Why on earth would anyone want to monster truck a p-car? It's a different point of view, but no less valid.
Seventyfive914
Thanks for all the replies, and particularly to McMark for translating for me. smile.gif My daily driver/Porsche (and VW) parts chaser is my '66 VW Panel. The "dropped spindle" reference is a common term for Type 2 lowering applications as well. It had never occurred to me to take a literal meaning from the term, as it would indeed raise the vehicles ride height and that's definitely not what I'm after. I'll get in touch with Racer Chris when I set up the suspension on my car, and thanks for the link. Ok, so what about the nine holes with the rubber plugs and the headlight buckets? Regards, -K-
ChrisFoley
The strengthening effect of the headlight buckets is minimal.
I wouldn't be afraid to cut them out if it suits your purposes.
What did you want to know about the 9 holes?
Seventyfive914
Hello Chris. Thanks for your response. Regarding the nine holes, I was just curious about why they are there. It seems like there would be some function they were the provision for. I checked out one of the vid clips on your site. I'm on a dial-up so the footage comes in the installment plan, just a bit tedious but I'm dying for the view from the cockpit for myself. I took note that it appears you have the stock dash removed completely from your car. I have been considering doing the same thing and just fabricating a small console to house the gauges for the vitals. I never got a clear shot of your instrument panel from behind the wheel, is that the route you took as well? Regards, -K-
ChrisFoley
I can't tell you what the factory had in mind for the holes, but I am using them in my race car for the oil cooling system in an unusual way.
Here is a pic of my dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.