Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy Rebuilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
first i need one of these.....i broke mine. It's the thing that you insert into the molex plugs to release the metal things.....
bd1308
okay....how do i get into the inside of this thing so i can clean everything off and re-grease everything....?
bd1308
do i need a special tool here?
Dave_Darling
You can fake up the pin-release tool (I thought the Molex-specific one was round?) by grinding down your smallest screwdriver. Or just pick up another pin release tool at Rat Shack (Radio Shack) or nearest equivalent electronics store.

You disassemble the distributor from the top, at least at first. You pull all of the external parts off (e.g., cap/rotor/points/vacuum dashpot), then you start working inside the distributor. The points plate comes out with some magic, or by unscrewing the tab that holds the ball bearing I think. I believe you can get in to some of the guts of the dizzy from there. For the rest, you drive out the pin that holds the drive dog onto the bottom of the shaft. Make sure you get the orientation of the dog & shaft clear so you can reassemble it correctly... Then I think you can slide the shaft out of the distributor body.

I don't think that odd-shaped hole in your photo will do anything for disassembling the distributor.

--DD
nebreitling
it's pretty easy, actually...

take it apart from the top, for the most part. mostly just screws and stuff. keep track of the orientation of everything -- it can be a minor PITA to figure it out later.

if you're doing a full 'rebuild', you'll need some circlip pliers. check side to side action of the shaft to see if it needs it. otherwise, just a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush ought to refresh things niceley.

add a pertonix or crane and ditch those points while you're at it.
nebreitling
whoop -- ya beat me dave (and as usual, your response was more thoughtful and accurate)... beer.gif
Type 4
Here is a How To for the dizzy Not a 914 FI but a step by step.
http://www.glenn-ring.com/010/
bd1308
alright dave....i'll give it a try.
bd1308
okay anybody have a way to drive this out without fancy tools.....i have a hammer and a philips head screwdriver and maybe a wrench...mihgt have a nail...but no vice.
Joe Ricard
Put your tools down and back away from the car.
You need a drift and a soft jaw vice to hold th shaft till while you drift the pin out.

Have you already taken the vacuum can off?
What is the condition of the shaft? does it wobble side to side?
or just up and down?
When you get the point plate off was it all crudy?
bd1308
forgot pic
bd1308
got it done....i cleaned everything out with a toothbrush and carb cleaner.....now I am off to the car to see if it works.
bd1308
now i finally see the real power of the 2.0.....it ROCKS! the centrifugal advance mechanism was rusted out and didn't work wel at all. I simply took everything apart and then cleaned everything out with a toothbrush and carb cleaner....the dorm people went nuts (SHHHH dont tell them) and everyone on my floor is high....BUT my car runs like a champ
Joe Ricard
Welcome to the real world of owning a 914. Take it apart fix it in the living room (or dorm room) and have it running by Monday to go to work.

clap.gif
bd1308
exactly what i did.....now i just need a AAR so i dont have to drill on the gas for a minute or two until the car starts idling (but it does idle at a clean 1000...beautiful) I now have renewed hope for my car!
Joe Ricard
So are you goingto still need my 1.7L motor??? I already got the money spent rolleyes.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 7 2005, 02:32 PM)
So are you goingto still need my 1.7L motor??? I already got the money spent rolleyes.gif

well joe....i think not. I thought my problems were more mechanical than electronical, but when i began diving into the ignition side of my car, i learned vast amounts of knowledge and fixed my drivability issues....i just need a AAR now
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 7 2005, 08:27 AM)
Welcome to the real world of owning a 914. Take it apart fix it in the living room (or dorm room) and have it running by Monday to go to work.

clap.gif

LOL.... ask my roommate about the carb rebuilds i have done in here laugh.gif lol2.gif screwy.gif

also... hogging out gauges with a dremel and building a 904 gauge....aww....the smell of epoxy lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 7 2005, 02:05 PM)
i just need a AAR now

good luck! ohmy.gif
bd1308
aaron, i think somebody here has one.....i think it was scooter311 from the bird forum or something, or maybe it was someone else....or maybe i'll just buy a 1.8 AAR and make that one work.... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.