Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress today on the 914 :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
In order to get my car ready for it's brake and light inspection (salvage title), I finally got all of my lights to work perfectly, the aftermarket flasher relay didn't work too well so I had to dish out the $35 for a new correct unit.

I put my lathe to good use today, I needed 1/2" spacers for the rear of my car for my rims due to the heavy offset (47mm, should have been 35mm)

As you can see, I'll have to get new studs, the threads don't go down far enough for the lug nuts to tighten up against the wheel....instead of cutting new threads, I'd rather get the correct studs which have the threads formed by rolling, these make for a stronger thead....sorta like being forged.....

McMark
Nice work! I've never understood what rolled threads were. Can you explain more?
scotty b
I believe rolled threads are when the stud is formed w/out anythreads and then the threads are (for lack of a better term) Pressed into the shaft, rather than being cut. This give the splines more strenth because you are compressing the material instead of cutting it away. Corrections???
Trekkor
Welcome to 914club Mike Mueller! lol2.gif

Show us the rims, too.

KT
Aaron Cox
way cool mike!
TimT
then the threads are (for lack of a better term)

yes the threads are rolled, rolling threads doesnt remove any material, it displaces the base metal to form threads. sort of forging them(threads)

cutting threads removes material, and lessens cross-section. and the root of cut threads is usually a major stress riser..
root
Mueller,

Have you got a good source for rolled thread studs?
I'm getting really close to having the space under my fender to
widen and space out my wheels. So I'm going to need some studs
soon. Do you know what the stock 4 lug hub thread size is?
I measured mine and I think it's 14mm dia. x 1.25 mm pitch.
Sound Right? idea.gif
TimT
MIke that spacer doesnt need to be hub-centric?
root
Oh forgot! Great job on the spacers!! smilie_pokal.gif What type lathe do you have?
I just bought a cheapo Chinese 12X36 for $2K.
scotty b
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 6 2005, 07:32 PM)
then the threads are (for lack of a better term)

yes the threads are rolled, rolling threads doesnt remove any material, it displaces the base metal to form threads. sort of forging them(threads)

cutting threads removes material, and lessens cross-section. and the root of cut threads is usually a major stress riser..

smilie_pokal.gif Do I win a set of spacers? I will have two 1 1/4" hubcentrics and two 2" hubcentrics, Thanks
root
I don't know but I think as long as the tires/wheel/spacer hub are spun balanced
that would do the trick! Right?
root
Lug Centric or Hub Centric? Which is it? idea.gif
scotty b
Hub centric, it's where the center of the spacer is raised and the O.D> is just under the wheel centers I.D.
Wheel should slip on without much pressure but should be tight. 914's & 924's - stock are not hub-centric,all other 9-series are.
root
So how does that relate to balancing? In other words, if you have balancing performed off the car seems that the 'centricity type' (hub or lug) would need to be duplicated on the spin balancer! Right? biggrin.gif
root
Mueller,
I'm hittin' the sac. If you ever get back to this thread PM me!
If you have a good source for lug bolts!
Thanks
root
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 6 2005, 08:34 PM)
MIke that spacer doesnt need to be hub-centric?

Hey Tim,

the rear of the 914's don't have the hubcentric feature cast into the hubs/flanges.....Charles Davis made a hubcentric ring that used the brake rotor as it's centering/location point, but I figured it was not that big of a deal for the rear, besides, I had the 1/2" flat stock so it made the job a little easier....hardest part was rough cutting the OD of the spacer, the material started off as a 10"x10" square piece...carefull cutting on the bandsaw took care of that....

Oh forgot! Great job on the spacers!!  What type lathe do you have?I just bought a cheapo Chinese 12X36 for $2K

I have an old 1971-ish Sebastian Lathe, made by Cincinnati Metalcrafts, it's about the same size as yours....

The studs I have are from BBS Racing, they are special hardened screw-in studs

Rusty
Hi Mike! Glad to see you still around! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 7 2005, 11:07 AM)
Hi Mike! Glad to see you still around! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

thanks...I'm over my depression about all this cr@p until the next round hits headbang.gif smile.gif
seanery
we missed you buddy! cool.gif
rick 918-S
rocking nana.gif wavey.gif
Gint
Hiya Mikey!
Twystd1
Welcome Home...

I missed ya...

Twystd1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.