Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brake tee install pics?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Anyone have any pics of rear brake tee installs? I want to see how much you have to bend the hardlines and how you did it. I have a nice ATE brake tee off a BMW 2002 that has a mounting hole in it, but I'm not sure I can bend the lines enough to mount it to the firewall where the prop valve used to be. Before I go and make a bracket or something I would like to see what others have done.

Thanks!!

PS: You can remove the prop valve with the engine in the car, it just takes a few minutes. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
i just replaced the two side hardlines, i think...
i couldn't see how to make the factory lines longer.
it was a long time ago, i just don't recall.
also, it's a /6, and that might make a difference.
my opinion is just go get new hardlines and replace the rear flex hoses while you're at it...

(i also replaced the hardline from the center tunnel through the bulkhead to the Tee, since the fitting got buggered removing the prop valve. THAT job is a stone b!tch and i even bought the factory hardline, which i had naively hoped would have the proper bends. nope - it's just has the proper length, you still need to figure the bends and fish it through the bulkhead...)
URY914
I installed a T with mouting hole and didn't have to change the lines. Just carefully bend them around. Don't have a picture now (at work) but I could take one tonight and post it. I didn't actually mount it, it just hangs there by the brake lines.

Paul
d914
same as above
skline
Like they said, when I put mine in I was replacing all the hard lines in the car. It was much easier that way.
CptTripps
If I'm doing BMW Brakes in the front, and Stock 914s in the rear, with a 19mm master, can I use a T in the rear instead of the prop valve?

I'm going to be replacing all the hard-lines anyway...while I'm there???
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 7 2005, 08:56 AM)

As Long As you're on the As Long As path... IMO you should consider adding an adjustable bias valve, such as one of the Tilton units (there are others...)

they're not *that* expensive and you only have to bleed the brakes for the one installation...
URY914
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 7 2005, 05:56 AM)
If I'm doing BMW Brakes in the front, and Stock 914s in the rear, with a 19mm master, can I use a T in the rear instead of the prop valve?

I would think so. but why replace the lines? They don't wear out, take some steel wool and clean them up real nice.

Paul
mightyohm
Paul, I would love to see pics of your setup. Are you worried about the tee bouncing around and fatiguing the lines?

I forget who it was on PP that was talking about mounting the tee to the firewall using a 1" spacer and one of the existing prop valve threaded holes. It sounds like a great idea but I think the lines would have to be bent significantly to make it work.

URY914
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 7 2005, 09:22 AM)
Paul, I would love to see pics of your setup. Are you worried about the tee bouncing around and fatiguing the lines?

I don't think the T will move much but I plan on tie-wrapping it to the firewall. Nuts and nots are SOOOO heavy. biggrin.gif

It would take 100 years to fatigue thru the line IMO.

Paul
Series9
This may not help, because I ran all new lines, but here's mine:
JoeSharp
Joe: You do that just to embarass us, don't You.
biggrin.gif Joe
URY914
Forget it. I'm not posting pics of my car now. rolleyes.gif

Paul
Series9
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 7 2005, 11:29 AM)
Joe: You do that just to embarass us, don't You.
biggrin.gif Joe

Just trying to help..... cool.gif
Series9
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 7 2005, 10:30 AM)
I plan on tie-wrapping it to the firewall.

What firewall? laugh.gif
bondo
This is the best pic I've got. I can't go take a better one because I removed all the lines in preparation for the soda blasting.
JoeSharp
Beautiful work Joe.
SpecialK
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 7 2005, 10:45 AM)
Beautiful work Joe.

agree.gif

VERY nice!
John2kx
I thought this pic might come in handy someday. Used the factory lines and installed a plastic spacer to fill gap where prop. valve mounted to bulkhead.

John
SirAndy
my TEE ...
stock lines, just needed a bit of careful bending ...

boldblue.gif Andy

user posted image
mightyohm
Andy, looks like yours is floating too? (not mounted)

(Looks like I am not the only one who likes summit racing...)

John - I am guessing by that location you drilled a new hole in the firewall as opposed to using the existing prop valve holes? Your mounting is the closest to what I originally had in mind.
andys
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 7 2005, 10:31 AM)
Forget it. I'm not posting pics of my car now. rolleyes.gif

Paul

Yeah, well I think Joe should be banned from posting pic's of his car on the forum. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.