Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OH CRAP!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
i startmy car this morning, and i look down from the open engine lid.....blip the rpm's a few times. ..and to my HORROR, i see a broken dipstick guide channel! the little tube that holds the dipstick broke a cm above where it goes into the case! what do i do! ohmy.gif

PS i like the new smilies!
TonyAKAVW
Make your dipstick shorter? wacko.gif
scotty
Duct tape? calvin.gif

J B Weld? unsure.gif
Mark Henry
Find a short piece of steel tube that is a tight (press) fit over the dipstick tube and splice it together.
Maybe use some lock-tight on the outside of the dipstick tube, stick it together, then cover the finished splice with a gob of silly-cone.
rolling.gif
Aaron Cox
am i able to replace it?...can i go buy a part from a vw place? do i have to drop the motor, split the case?

that wouls suck pinch.gif
MarkV
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jun 10 2003, 03:39 PM)
Make your dipstick shorter? wacko.gif

Ice water ?
Aaron Cox
lol, no really, van i buy a new one? how hard is it to install? i hope it soesnt involve splitting the case on my freshly rebuilt engine! headbang.gif ! i dont know how it broke
Mark Henry
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 10 2003, 04:03 PM)
am i able to replace it?...can i go buy a part from a vw place? do i have to drop the motor, split the case?

that wouls suck @$$!!!!! pinch.gif

Try my idea!

OR

Drop the engine and braze the tube back on.

Mig and tig won't work and you may never get the old tube out.
Aaron Cox
how is it attached to the engine?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 10 2003, 04:12 PM)
how is it attached to the engine?

The tube is pressed into the case. It may as well be welded to it.
Aaron Cox
OHCRAP! so i am screwed...dangit..ill try your idea, brazing it sounds better tho....
need4speed
Any idea HTF it got broken in the first place? I think we'd all like to know how we might avoid such a hideous fate.

Personally, I'd get some solder and braze it back together. On my non-914, I don't reckon I'd have to drop my engine. Is that the case for a 914?
seanery
dumb question coming!

"If you braze it how do you keep the oil from igniting?" chatsmiley.gif
Bleyseng
I did repair one on a friend 914 using tubing that just barely fit over the broken dipstick tube. Had to tap it on but it has lasted about 2 years so far without leaks. Much easier than junking the block.
Geoff smilie_wirdgut.gif
Aaron Cox
nuke.gif well...bad news. took a second look, and its about flush wit the case. (gulp) ....i think it could be brazed tho. ill borrow a digi cam, and sna p a few.
sucks royally, i think it might have been a little weak from the PO <_<
Dave Blackburn
Here is something to check out. Looks like it might work.
Here!
Dave
Mike D.
That tube is just pressed down into the case about 1/2 inch or so. I one time pulled one out on accident. the end in the case has ridges to hold it in place. I just put some JB Weld on it and stuck it back in the hole. If you can get the broken piece out of the case you in good shape.

go to the junk yard and pull one out of a bus

-Mike D.
Mountain914
Pulling it out of the case sounds best - as you don't have much of a 'foundation'. If it doesn't pull, use a tap/die and put threads down into the remaining tube - then screw some rod down into it and 'tap' it out. Still will not come? Drill remaining material out, being careful of course. Put in new tube and flush and change oil.

Seanery - I have welded and brazed on engines while still in the car, I simply kept a trickle of water running through it from the garden hose. Not so much as to keep it so cold I couldn't work on it, but enough to prevent fires. IPB Image
Bruce Allert
If ya can't pull it out use some Epoxy Putty sold thru McMaster Carr. It's like JB Weld but better. It's a 2 part stick pre mixed. Cut what you want & knead it like clay till mixed. Flatten it out & wrap it around the clean tube. Clean the area on the block real good where it's gonna stick to. This stuff will even cure under water and stops leaks. It gets so hard you can drill & tap it. I use it a lot in our shop... it's indespensable.
Oh ya, the product # at www.mcmastercarr.com is 7531A11 . Put it in the search and it'll come up. Some FLAPS sell it too.
bruce
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jun 11 2003, 01:19 PM)
That tube is just pressed down into the case about 1/2 inch or so. I one time pulled one out on accident. the end in the case has ridges to hold it in place. I just put some JB Weld on it and stuck it back in the hole. If you can get the broken piece out of the case you in good shape.

go to the junk yard and pull one out of a bus

-Mike D.

buses dont have the same dipstick i thought....i thought they had the part of the block drilled for the oil filler and dipstick....i must be wrong
Aaron Cox
ok....here is the status...

The P.O. had already brazed the thing! but with brazing, you cant get ll the way (360 degrees) around the tube....how can i pull one out of a donor case? andnor damage it before re-install?
tryan
the mahogany transom light broke at the base on my 43 year old boat. the cure was a brass toilet tank fill line inserted up the center of the mast.

how much is sticking out of the case?

take the top half to the hardware store and find a suitable outer sleeve in the plumbing department. copper refrigerant (sp) line come in odd sizes. you should be able to find something with a tight fit.
Aaron Cox
thats what im trying to locate at the moment.....its hard to believe that the part isnt available new mad.gif
tryan
3/8 outer diameter soft copper might have the proper inner diameter to be a force fit. if you know anybody that does ac work, refrigerant soft copper comes in quite a variety of sizes.
Aaron Cox
thanx for the tip wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.