Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couldnt be happier but....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jonnydaub
I couldn't be any happier, finally got my barn find 914 running after troubleshooting the whole fuel injection system I had some clogged injectors. Props to blue6 for the hookup on the New wheels as well. But my question is I can not find a air filter for my 1.7 at all. Any help would be nice. Its a 73 1.7Click to view attachment
r_towle
Well, there is a VW air filter that works, but it needs some modifications and
I do not recall the part number.

the original oil bath filter for the 1.7 works great and never needs a filter replaced so you may need to find one of those because the air filters for the stock box are NLA.
Jonnydaub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 11 2015, 08:53 PM) *

Well, there is a VW air filter that works, but it needs some modifications and
I do not recall the part number.

the original oil bath filter for the 1.7 works great and never needs a filter replaced so you may need to find one of those because the air filters for the stock box are NLA.

See now i didnt know that. Didnt know it was a oil bath filter. Makes sense why its that color. I just thought it was dirty headbang.gif . How can i save the filter imhave now just submerge it back in oil or what? Im learning cut me some slack haha
zipedadoo
No........the oil bath does not have a filter. Just some oil in the bottom of the housing to catch dirt in the incoming air.
Jonnydaub
Any aftermarket mods to get rid of that setup?
r_towle
If you have an oil bath filter, the later cars had paper ones...

If it's oil bath then it has a rounded bottom with an orange line at the bottom to show you how much oil to put in.

Clean it out, wipe out all the old oil, see if it has that line.
If you have doubts, post a picture of the air filter housing.

Rich
Jonnydaub
Thank you will do, my filter is rounded with an orange lining . The car was sitting for 23 years so all the oil is dried up
Blue6
Glad you're pleased with the wheels, reach out toBruce Stone (bdstone ) here if you need air filter parts. He seems to come up with everything.
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
73 914 1.7 is the only year of the paper filter which was discontinued...
Bosch part #73349
Lucas part #F787

They come up once in awhile...check Samba and ebay. Shoot me a pm and Ill see if I have one I can sell you in the meantime. drunk.gif

Andrew
stinkindiesel
I'm in the same boat, and have done some looking around for a filter that is close enough to fit with a little cutting or gasketing.

Below is some info I posted a while back. I still haven't gotten my 1.7 back together far enough to need an air filter, so I haven't actually tried any of these yet.

Dimensions:
Mann C2180 (OEM, NLA)
124mm ID
207mm OD
82mm tall

Champion AF103 (NLA)
125mm ID
205mm OD
82mm tall

The K & N E-1040
160mm ID
211mm OD
83mm tall

Motorcraft C2OZ9601AR (FA3R)
3.225" tall (81.9mm)
8.313" OD (211.1mm)
but can't find an ID for it. I also see slight variations on dimensions depending on where you look.

Champion 70567 (1980 Ford F150 w/ 300 I-6)
8.410" OD (213.6mm)
6.630" ID (168.4mm)
3.230" tall (82.0mm)

Gary
Jonnydaub
said screw it and am doing a "cold air" intake. not really cold air but its far better then the original oil bath I think at least
Larmo63
I think Automobiles Atlanta has them. That is where I got mine.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Oct 13 2015, 02:12 PM) *

said screw it and am doing a "cold air" intake. not really cold air but its far better then the original oil bath I think at least

Oil bath air filters work really well, just a bit messy at times, usually the first time. smile.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Jonnydaub @ Oct 13 2015, 04:12 PM) *

Far better? No.
Different? Yes.

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. But there's nothing wrong with either one. Unless you have a high horsepower fire breathing monster of an engine, I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance between a paper filter and an oil bath filter.

One definite pro to an oil bath is that you never have to buy filters for it. Also, it won't become restricted as it fills with dirt and dust the way a paper filter will. The flow rate is the same whether the oil is new and clean or old and filled with dirt and dust.

stinkindiesel
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 13 2015, 04:23 PM) *

I think Automobiles Atlanta has them. That is where I got mine.

I've checked AA from time to time. They will tell you they have them, but will point you to the 2.0L square filter. Half the people there don't seem to realize the 1.7 and 2.0 use different filters.

They've been OOS on the 1.7L round filter for a long time.

Gary
914_teener
There is one you can order from Oreilly.....I can get the number when I get home. It is really close to the orig and works fine.
Mark Henry
I'm another one that says there's nothing wrong with a oil bath filter, in fact the "cold air intake"s IMHO a downgrade.
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 14 2015, 05:11 PM) *

There is one you can order from Oreilly.....I can get the number when I get home. It is really close to the orig and works fine.

Do tell. I've checked my local Oreilly, and haven't found anything closer than the Ford F100 filter that's a little too big around to seat in the filter box without some help.

Gary
zipedadoo
I did some reasearch on this subject awhile back and this is what I found on the internet..............wink.gif

An oil bath air filter is not 100% efficent, ever. Something like 98-99%. So some dirt gets through to the engine.

A new paper element air filter is arround 99.98% efficent. Once it gets a little dirty it becomes 100% efficent.

A paper element filter will plug up eventually. A oil bath filter won't.

I have heard the military still uses oil bath on some applications because its better to dust a engine than to be dead. But I could not confirm that.

r_towle
Oil bath does the best job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.