Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
I just put on 911 struts on my car. When let the car back on the ground it looked alot higher than before. Is anything that is different in size with the 911 struts? How can I lower the car more? I believe that the torsion bars have already been fully adjusted to the lowest setting. I'll post pics later.
Aaron Cox
reindex the torsion bar cap......
jgiroux67
Oh ya, do the shock inserts have anything to do with the hieght?
ChrisFoley
Installing high pressure gas shocks will raise the ride height.
So if your struts have Bilsteins and the old ones didn't that is the reason your car sits higher.
Did you roll the car back and forth after letting it down? Sometimes it takes some movement to get the car to settle into it's proper stance.
jgiroux67
My 911 struts are koni i believe. I reused my 914 kyb shock inserts because they seemed to be in better shape the my 911 koni inserts. Would that account for the raised hieght?
ChrisFoley
If they're not high pressure gas they won't influence the ride height.
What kind of bushings do the a-arms have? If stock, the car may take a bit of driving to re-settle into position after having them at full droop for a while.
Eric_Shea
KYB's are gas (I believe)

I agree with the punk... reindex. Did you follow the factory procedure upon installation? If'n I recall.

With cap off, use a pry bar to pull the a-arm completely down in it's travel. Install the cap indexed as far up as possible. Lower car on suspension and adjust.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2005, 07:34 PM)
I agree with the punk... reindex.

im nobody's punk blink.gif
Dave_Darling
Does anybody know if the Kill Yer Back shocks are appropriate for any given set of 911 struts? They may not be fitting the struts correctly... I'm not at all sure!!

--DD
mightyohm
I believe that only Koni inserts fit Koni struts. I would be very suspicious of how the inserts fit into the strut.

Aaron Cox
Are the strut housings (where the insert goes into - has the spindle on it) Black Red Or Green?

If they are black (Boge) then there are various inserts that fit a boge housing (billstein, koni, boge/sachs, mulholland, KYB's)
if they are red (koni) then ONLY A KONI INSERT WILL FIT ohmy.gif
jgiroux67
The kyb's fit in fine, no problems at all, but under further inspection I think that my koni's are fine to use so i think im gonna try those out.

Can someone tell me the procedure for reindexing the torsion bars
jgiroux67
I dont know what the original strut color is since they have been repainted.
jgiroux67
ha, and yes Aaron I know what a strut housing is
anthony
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 7 2005, 07:50 PM)
I believe that only Koni inserts fit Koni struts. I would be very suspicious of how the inserts fit into the strut.

Actually, they make Koni, Bilstein, and everything else to fit into a Boge strut housing.
mightyohm
The KYB inserts are intended to be used with Boge struts, which were originally black and say "Boge" with a 911 part number on them.

What probably happened is that you replaced some old Koni hydraulic struts with gas charged KYBs and it raised the ride height a couple inches. The car will also sit high until you drive it and it settles down again.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 7 2005, 08:02 PM)
I dont know what the original strut color is since they have been repainted.

scrape off some paint on the back side and report back what color they are!

or give me the embossed part number off the koni strut? are they "special D's"?
mightyohm
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 7 2005, 07:06 PM)
I believe that only Koni inserts fit Koni struts.  I would be very suspicious of how the inserts fit into the strut.

Actually, they make Koni, Bilstein, and everything else to fit into a Boge strut housing.

Yeah, I know, but I said Koni strut [housing] [sic]. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 7 2005, 08:06 PM)
I believe that only Koni inserts fit Koni struts.  I would be very suspicious of how the inserts fit into the strut.

Koni makes 2 inserts:
1) Fits original Koni Strut housings 2) Insert to fit Boge housing

Likewise Bilstein
1) Fits Bilstein green strut 2) fits boge strut
(*also available in HD or Sport models - to my knowledge, sports have a shorter rod made for lowered cars)

Boge made just boge inserts......

along with KYB and Mullhollands
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2005, 09:34 PM)
KYB's are gas (I believe)

I thought KYBs are Low pressure gas, which does not affect ride height noticeably.
jgiroux67
I just checked and they are Boge struts.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 7 2005, 08:23 PM)
I just checked and they are Boge struts.

then all is well in the land of OZ.....

PUT THE KONIS BACK IN! laugh.gif
xsboost90
this may sound stupid but did you roll the car back and fourth after you let it down to get the bind out of the suspension? WHen you let it down the wheels are in farther than normal and need to be settled by moving the car around. IT will make the car sit slightly higher. wink.gif
jgiroux67
Ha, ya I think that will be alot better. The only reason I put the KYBs in was because I thought my Konis were bad, but thats not a problem anymore.

So does anybody have any instructions on reindexing the torsion bars?
ChrisFoley
Hey xsboost, nice avatar ya got there!
I've got her on my wall lookin' over my shoulder. rocking nana.gif
Jeffs9146
Adustments

I did a search and this will help you raise and lower your front beyond the current lowest point.

Jeff
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 7 2005, 10:34 PM)
So does anybody have any instructions on reindexing the torsion bars?

you can find instructions for re-indexing the torsion bars in this thread...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.