Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel polishing 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I'd like to polish these to a mirrorlike finish.

How much time does it take per wheel to do it right and what should I pay to send them out?

What is the best process? fine grit wet paper all the way down to #0000 steel wool and then Mother's polish?

Thanks.

KT
Unclerichy
The bird board has a good tech article on wheel polishing.

914forme
NO Steel wool - it will imbed in the aluminum and rust!

Start with the finest grit you can and work your way to finer until you are using rouge (sp?) It will take a good long time to do it right - 4-6 hours a wheel, pay your self what your labor worth?
Trekkor
I have these Pedrini's that someone nicely polished before I bought them.

KT
Gint
There's a lot of labor in that wheel Trekkor. Mahles and Pedrinis are more intricate than Fuchs.

This one took 30 hours.
Gint
'nother.
Gint
Glass bead blast (which I wouldn't do if I did it again), 80, 220, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 ggrit sandpaper. Wet sand, mostly by hand. Couple of different polish levels on a large buffing wheel.

Lotta work... but those wheels you're talking about doing polich up really well. Go for it!

I should add, I would happily pay $75 a wheel to get those wheels fully poliched including the edges of the holes. Well worth it.
Rand
Dang Gint, that's beautiful. drooley.gif

Thirty hours per wheel? Oh man, listen to me whine. Isn't there some kind of soft-tipped polishing bit for a power tool that would work with a good rubbing compound? The flat surfaces are pretty easy to work with a cloth wheel, but there must be some kind of decent wheel/tip for getting into the corners?
J P Stein
No cast wheel' polishes up like a forged wheel.
Ayup, 20 hours depending on your starting point.
This cobbled up rig helps a bit, but I don't go the extreme of Gint's wheel.
anthony
At 20-30 hours per wheel you guys are doing something wrong. Al Reed will polish your wheels for like $80/each and that's the retail price and he's making money. I figure it must take him an hour at the most.
J P Stein
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 8 2005, 01:12 AM)
At 20-30 hours per wheel you guys are doing something wrong. Al Reed will polish your wheels for like $80/each and that's the retail price and he's making money. I figure it must take him an hour at the most.

And I figure you've never polished a wheel.
redshift
laugh.gif

JP, didn't I see you at the Pottery Barn?

M
Gint
QUOTE (RandyLok Posted: Mar 7 2005 @ 11:22 PM)

Dang Gint, that's beautiful.

Thirty hours per wheel? Oh man, listen to me whine. Isn't there some kind of soft-tipped polishing bit for a power tool that would work with a good rubbing compound? The flat surfaces are pretty easy to work with a cloth wheel, but there must be some kind of decent wheel/tip for getting into the corners?

The small tips don't hold up to the real harsh cutting compunds. They fall apart. I tried the heavy cutting compounds and they suck. I found sanding to perform much better overall. I also polished the edges of all of the holes. Most polishers won't do that detail. Because that's the part that has to be done by hand. With the proper heavy duty machinery, this can be quick work to do the faces.

QUOTE (anthony Posted on Mar 8 2005 @ 02:12 AM)

That why my last set went to Al. You didn't read all of what I said. I would definitely pay top have them done now after that one experience. I only did that one wheel. Too much work. But that experience taught me the value of Al's work.

And it took 30 hours because I had to figure out a process. I could do that now in under 20 wink.gif
TravisNeff
Hey Trekkor, what size tires are you running on those westerns? Of course the follow on question to your answer is, did you have to do a lot of fender pulling to get them to fit in the wheelwells? I have westerns too and wondering how big I can go
aircooledboy
drooley.gif mmmmmmmm polished Pedrinis..... wub.gif
Dang Trek, those are AWESOME. I thought somebody here said Pedrinis couldn't be polished because they were cast. The silver streak is sporting Pedrinis, and I always thought they would look so much better polished. Guess I better start looking for a local polisher. wub.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Here's mine after hand polishing with a high torque angle drill, 3 1/2" buffing wheel, black emory compound, followed by red rouge, then cleaned up with mother's. They looked just like yours before polishing. About 2 hours per wheel. Not a mirror finish, but I didn't want that.

Travis, I run 205/50 Kumho Ecstas MX and they fit just fine.
TravisNeff
That looks sweet Curt, that satin finish is nice! Car looks spiffy too! Need to find some center caps of some sort for mine though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.