Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am thinking about ditching the taga top and installing a permanent steel roof.

If any member has done this and have some advice to share I would be pleased to hear it, also pictures showing the work in progress would be helpful

Thanks in advance
ConeDodger
Patrick Motorsports and Joe Obrian (iirc)...
Chris H.

The Blue Car
rgalla9146
I'm interested.
And others I've spoken with are interested as well.
At least two that have been shown here.
A 924 /944 roof has a good basic shape for our cars but a bit of width has to be removed...... along with other surgery.
'Root' did the blue car.
TC has owned it.........twice ?
Harpo
Racer Chris as well AA has done this as well. Not an easy task

David
Mark Henry
Couldn't you re-enforce and bond a F/G top on?
Seems it would save you a ton of work.
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2015, 05:40 PM) *

Steel is real smile.gif

Want a 'glass roof, get a 'vette lol-2.gif
PanelBilly
Restoration Design should make one
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 16 2015, 09:19 PM) *

Too little demand. Especially compared with the demand for 356 and early 911 parts.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2015, 08:40 PM) *

I've had the same idea.
Some modern cars have metal panels that are glued on.
Corvettes have the skin glued to metal sub structures.
Gluing the 'glass roof on our cars seems a natural.
Some metal work will be needed to create enough surface area for the glue to be effective.
The seam at the front of the fiberglass where the rubber seal is could be tricky but can be handled.

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 16 2015, 09:55 PM) *

Too little demand. Especially compared with the demand for 356 and early 911 parts.

agree.gif however, someone should make a set of blueprints for a kit. Not as expensive as tooling up for a kit that won't have a lot of demand & cheap enough for people to buy & then if they change their mind pitch or sell/give to someone else.
Tom
Dan Root ( Root Werks) did a really nice one some years back. He sold it and it changed hands several times, been all over the country. I believe CAR914 had it at least once.
Tom
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 16 2015, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 16 2015, 09:55 PM) *

agree.gif however, someone should make a set of blueprints for a kit. Not as expensive as tooling up for a kit that won't have a lot of demand & cheap enough for people to buy & then if they change their mind pitch or sell/give to someone else.

Between the auto Atlanta thread and the stock targa roof, we have the template and info. It's the actual welding and metal shaping that is where all the work is.
carr914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 16 2015, 05:59 PM) *

I'm interested.
And others I've spoken with are interested as well.
At least two that have been shown here.
A 924 /944 roof has a good basic shape for our cars but a bit of width has to be removed...... along with other surgery.
'Root' did the blue car.
TC has owned it.........twice ?

Yes, I've owned it twice - last I heard it was in New Hampshire.

The roof was done nicely, some other things in the car not so much

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jpnovak
I am currently helping a friend build a steel roof for his 916 replica. so far, the skin is coming along nicely. English wheel, plannishing hammers, shrinker/stretcher, brake and slip roll are all needed. Still have to work out the side seal issues.

There is A LOT of hours going into this.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 17 2015, 09:09 AM) *

I am currently helping a friend build a steel roof for his 916 replica. so far, the skin is coming along nicely. English wheel, plannishing hammers, shrinker/stretcher, brake and slip roll are all needed. Still have to work out the side seal issues.

There is A LOT of hours going into this.

Any pictures of the progress?
mepstein
Racer chris/tangerine racing mentioned making a kit. I don't think it ever went any further than that but maybe he would revisit the idea with enough pre ordered. It won't be cheap. I once asked scotty to ballpark an estimate and he said $3,500. We'll never get enough takers to make it feasible for restoration design to make up a mold.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2015, 03:44 PM) *

Racer chris/tangerine racing mentioned making a kit.
I once asked scotty to ballpark an estimate and he said $3,500.

I made two on customer cars at that price - as close to the factory design as I could.
Probably the only big difference is the way I made the headliner - using a single piece of black textured ABS instead of taut fabric (or leather).

The next fabrication/installation done here will be closer to $6000.
This includes "frenching" the rain gutters into the windshield frame as the factory did.

It's unlikely that I will make kits anytime in the near future, but I haven't ruled it out.
There are numerous details which go into a faithful reproduction.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 18 2015, 11:17 AM) *

I made two on customer cars at that price - as close to the factory design as I could.
Probably the only big difference is the way I made the headliner - using a single piece of black textured ABS instead of taut fabric (or leather).

The next fabrication/installation done here will be closer to $6000.
This includes "frenching" the rain gutters into the windshield frame as the factory did.

It's unlikely that I will make kits anytime in the near future, but I haven't ruled it out.
There are numerous details which go into a faithful reproduction.

drooley.gif pray.gif
Cairo94507
Absolutely WOW! first.gif
DavidSweden
Chris

That roof looks fantastic, you are obviously a skilled metal worker. I on the other hand am not wacko.gif
Could you post a few more pics of the roof build if you have some? it would be helpful to see how you did it.

The metal roof definitely transforms the look of the whole car for the better
914forme
agree.gif Chris' roof would be great kit!!! Love Chris' stuff, lots of it has been in my car in its various forms.

Trying to figure this one out right now, I never take the roof off. My issue is I need 2.5" of clearance to the roof for my helmet, with the seat cushion removed. It's removal gains ~ 2"

This should go into my build thread but here it is on the car. Love the 2x4 spacers, LOL the 924, 944 roof is very practical skin to use.

Click to view attachment

Curve on the windshield, almost perfect aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Lots to work out to make it look as nice as Root did in the end.
KELTY360
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Oct 18 2015, 09:24 AM) *

The metal roof definitely transforms the look of the whole car for the better

bs.gif The look of the 914 is at it's best with the roof in the trunk!
Harpo
Very impressive Chris as usual, however the route that Root & 914forme is more realistic for me.

David
mepstein
I like the look and i think it will stiffen up the chassis. I can appreciate the work but $6k is more than I want to spend. I wonder if steel reinforcements can be welded in and then a modified targa top bonded to the windshield frame and the targa bar.
914forme
GTs did a bolt down roof, I made one at one point, did not really like it. Steel for me all the way.

I need to order a few chassis punches in larger sizes and a few belling dies. Build the stiffeners, and then punch the hell out of them. happy11.gif

Love the flare,

Click to view attachment

not the flair.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.