Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air brush or small paint gun for small parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
I've been painting the bumpers on my girlfriend's Toyota truck and it's been driving me insane*. I found some nice satin laquer at Orchard (much much cheaper than the wurth stuff) and it looks good but the rattle can keeps spitting out large droplets periodically ruining the finish.

I was thinking of either buying an airbrush or a small detail paint gun. How about something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...f?itemnumber=86

or something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=47791

I've never used an airbrush before. Is it big enough for painting something the size of a bumper or say engine tin or wheels?

My other criteria would be something I could use in the garage without making a huge mess and getting paint on everything else.

*Painting the bumpers on the Toyota is a long story. I was just going to install them but when I took the bumper out of the box it was a medium grey. The valence I got for the car is satin black. If they had both been the same color I would have just installed them as is. I hate working on other people's cars. :-)
72Signal914
Airbrushing isn't all that hard for what you are talking about. It's going to take a while to do with some of those because of the small nozzle. you'll get a more even spray with the airbrush but it will take longer. Also, with the paint brush I thought you need a compressor to actually push the paint out, there might be other alternatives to that (i.e spare tire). Check into it or see how much it is for a air brush that they use for cars but like half the size, if they sell it that might be your best bet.
MarkV
Air brush won't work for bumpers or wheels, too small of a spray pattern.

The first gun you listed will work, you will get better results out of a HVLP gun though.

This gun comes in full size & touch-up. I have both of them & they work great.

HVLP
72Signal914
I think this is a good kit if you dont have a compressor for small jobs for touching up

Spray and Compressor
anthony
I should have added that I do have a decent compressor with an air regulator and a water filter.
djm914-6
http://www.coastairbrush.com/
http://www.bearair.com/

These are the two companies I'm used to working with. Also, Lowes seemed to have some decent guns. I agree that a gravity HVLP gun would be your best bet. It used less air, has less mess and work better then the suction feed when paint gets low (no splatter). Small, better quality, guns like this sell for under $50 IIRC.

I've talked with many people who bought from harbor freight; most say the equipment is ok, but not as good as it could be. You get what you pay for with airguns. If you must go with one of the HF units, the touch up gun is your best bet. The Smaller airbrush is way too small. It would make a good addition though (if better quality version was chosen) for touching up rock chips.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. (djm914-6@attbi.com)
Lawrence
I think this is a link that might help you...

Paint Accessories

-Rusty smoke.gif
need4speed
I'd say DEFINATELY stay away from that particular airbrush. A company called Paasche makes an airbrush that would easily work (I forget the model number, but it's a bottom-feeder double-action, very popular with T-Shirt guys) for around $60 a piece. Paasche's are nice and rugged, and parts are cheap, (compared to Thayer&Chandler or Iwata).

However, I have no idea whether it would flow automotive paint very cleanly. It's pretty viscous stuff, isn't it? I've never sprayed automotive paint. But the Paasche I'm thinking of has a nice wide nozzle, and when the needle's all the way back, I could see making quick work of a small item like a bumper. Only thing I'd be concerned with is how to supply enough paint - because when I used em, it was little 1/2 ounce bottles. Maybe they make bigger bottles?
vortrex
I have a cheap gun, called a finishline I think. I never got to use it, but the owner of autobodystore.com said it was the best cheap non HVLP gun he ever used. it was about $65 I think. check out that site or email len, he will guide you in the right direction.
djm914-6
Paasche does make a nice gun, but Iwata is better for quality. Still, the most expensive small airbrush will not paint a bumper well. You need more than a 2" spray pattern. Most quality airbrushes will spray automotive paints if thinned properly.

Another thought for the typical CSOBOSC is a better technique. Buy a $3.00 spraycan handle at your local hardware store, Lowes or Home Depot. This gives you better control and less fatigue. Next, shake the can well for 30-40 seconds. Let the can sit in a bowl of HOT tap water (not boiling) for 1 minute. COntinue to shake for another minute then spray. The hot water will help build up the air pressure in the can for a smoother spray and less blobs. Don't try to get every last drop of paint from the can of blobs will appear. If your spraying for a very long time, remember to shake occasionally and even let the can set in the hot water again.
anthony
As noted above I've been trying the CSOBOSC method. I just keep getting an occasional droplet of paint that comes out of the can. I might try the hot water trick on the next coat.

Still, I've always wanted a spray gun for these types of things. I've also been wanted to learn how to use an airbrush for stone chips and the like.
djm914-6
The hot water trick really does work, but a spray can is still a spray can. The cheap guns from harbor freight may not be any better.

Also, the two jobs you want to do require two different tools. Painting a bumper with a regular airbrush is like trying to cut down a tree with a butterknife. It will work, but not well. Likewise, painting rock chips with a touch up gun or bigger is like cutting toast with a chainsaw.

Like most tools, you get what you pay for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.