Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic slave cylinder...how did you do it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
The thread about BDSTONES awesome rebuilt pedal clusters got me thinking. .."how the heck do I activate my hydraulic cylinder that engages the pressure plate?" for my transmission?

Pics would be nice if you modified the pedal cluster.
SirAndy
Paul Sayegh did a hydraulic clutch on his car. I'm pretty sure he posted pics here somewhere.

smile.gif
shoguneagle
Mike, I am currently doing a hydraulic clutch (puller type slave) which uses the Wildwood master and slave. Same that Rich Johnson uses on "Old Yeller" down in Texas.

I may have some other information on other types such as pusher slaves, etc.

Let me know and I will look up/forward the information.

Steve
Larry.Hubby
You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=37181

GeorgeRud
I think the slave cylinder is the easy part, mounting the master cylinder for the clutch is the more challenging part as it would require more fabrication. If someone would come up with a bolt in(well, weld in) kit, I think many of us would love to do the conversion.
Yes a no brainer kit.
DBCooper
That's actually pretty simple, cheap, and bolt-in. Look on pages 7 and 8 of THIS thread of A&P Mech's build. It's something first done by 76-914 (and is in his build thread) that I also copied for my son's car and it works great. It uses a plate to locate a Honda master cylinder forward of the pedal cluster, then uses the cable hook on the clutch pedal for the M/C pushrod. Drill one hole, for the pushrod. I think I paid about $25 for the Honda M/C. That one pushes the Subaru clutch slave perfectly, if your slave is a different diameter/stroke you'd need to choose another M/C to fit.

In his build thread I think 76-914 even had a template for the plate, and if you use a slightly thicker gauge you won't need the bracing that A&P Mech put behind his. Mine didn't need it anyway, but I think that's mentioned as well.

euro911
DB, Kent's Honda set-up didn't quite work out dry.gif

I ended up buying a Wilwood M/C and slave and going the same route that Rich did.

Kent cut the hole in the forward bulkhead floor for the M/C and I installed a small reservoir next to the brake system's reservoir with a hose to the M/C's location ... just need to fab a mount for the new M/C (and possibly one on the trans for the slave).

I'll be diving back into this task on a spare trans shortly, so I'll post my progress ...
DBCooper
The slave end didn't work? Or the M/C end? I know the M/C (pedal cluster) end works because my son's car and several others use it successfully. In fact in the A&P Mech thread mentioned above it works and he says he's pretty happy with it.

I think Kent was working on a slave kit for a 901 transmission too. I don't think that worked out, and may be what you're thinking about, but this is not that.

A&P Mech
I did fabricate a hydraulic clutch system for my car. I copied Kent's setup. It works great and it is well worth the effort to create. In fact after rnellums drove my car earlier this week he said that he was going to replace his cable system in his conversation with it.

It truly is a great setup.

Ray
Mike Bellis
Strawman has a good setup with the factory pedal cluster.
Dave_Darling
Look into the 87+ 964 pedal cluster. I believe they had similar space constraints to us, and still made the hydro clutch work.

For the slave cylinder, you can use one of the annular ones that replaces the whole throw-out arm and bearing. Or you can use an actual cylinder and link it to the throw-out arm.

--DD
euro911
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 08:09 PM) *
The slave end didn't work? Or the M/C end? I know the M/C (pedal cluster) end works because my son's car and several others use it successfully. In fact in the A&P Mech thread mentioned above it works and he says he's pretty happy with it.

I think Kent was working on a slave kit for a 901 transmission too. I don't think that worked out, and may be what you're thinking about, but this is not that.
Yes, it was on a 901. We weren't getting enough throw with that set up.

I need to fab a bracket for the M/C because the orientation of the threaded studs are @ 0 and 180° vs. 45 and 90° like the Honda M/C had.

It will be a 'build it and see' what works best approach. I've seen a few installations where the slave was simply mounted to an extended stud on the side diff cover with a heim joint. Just not sure if that will be strong enough, so it may need a bracket to spread the load confused24.gif
andys
Here is how I solved the clutch master cylinder issue on my 914/LS1 conversion. This solution assumes one will install a center console to cover it all up.

Andys

Mueller
Thanks all...

Some slick ideas.

Slave cylinder built into transmission so one less thing to worry about there.

914forme
914 with 993 lutch and Boxster Trans 3 pages of goodness
Chris914n6
If you can wait til after the holidays, I'll send you a copy of my master cylinder mount.

It's awesome. You will like it.
stugray
If you are looking for "slick" include one of these in the build:

IPB Image

http://www.jegs.com/p/Tilton/Tilton-Hydrau...755538/10002/-1
Mueller
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 31 2015, 09:25 PM) *

If you are looking for "slick" include one of these in the build:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Tilton/Tilton-Hydrau...755538/10002/-1

My target audience is 914 owners, not 911 owners with real money...haha
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 31 2015, 10:03 PM) *
My target audience is 914 owners, not 911 owners with real money...haha

Talk to Paul. He's busy with his new life and trying to sell the 914 but he did put a lot of engineering thoughts into his clutch setup.

I've driven his car and the clutch was smooth as butter ...
w00t.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 30 2015, 10:48 AM) *

Here is how I solved the clutch master cylinder issue on my 914/LS1 conversion. This solution assumes one will install a center console to cover it all up.

Andys

I really like this design. You should mass produce and offer it for sale!!
Cracker
Here are two pictures of how Patrick Motorsports dealt with the addition - cleanest I've seen with the stock pedal cluster.
Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.