Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which conversion is harder to accomplish/in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Iam wondering which one of the 2 engine conversions are easier to do,.wouldn't the oil cooled conversion be the easy and quickest way to go,..??? I realize engine cost is a BIG factor, but seems oil cooled would be easier FM
mepstein
A Porsche engine was an oem option, 914-6, and with a different motor mount, (pretty much) bolts right in.
GeorgeRud
The Porsche engine may be more money initially, but you'll be glad you chose it once you're done. It's a great project!
Larmo63
agree.gif

I can't say much more, but I'll stay with German stuff.
r_towle
Easier is aircooled
76-914
agree.gif Haven't done a P6 conversion but I can't see how it wouldn't be easier than a Subaru engine conversion.
Dtjaden
I'm getting started on Porsche 2.7L conversion. I'll detail the process (although this has already been done) as much to keep me on track as to help others. What I do know is involved are the following:

914/6 oil tank and fittings
Early (65-69) 6 bolt flywheel
914/6 motor mount
Front oil cooler and associated lines and fittings
914/6 exhaust headers (or very expensive heat exchangers)

You will also need to make a decision on the fuel system. I am going to initially use the stock 1974 CIS injection system that came with the engine I bought. I may later switch to Megasquirt injection since I currently have that on my 2056 4.

I believe I can keep the cost below $3,000 plus the cost of the engine so a total of about $8,000. I know that a Subi could be done for much less but I like the purity of keeping a Porsche engine.
914forme
Depends on your skills, and what you want. since you said harder, I will go this way,but it all is a perception questions.

agree.gif Porsche -6 it is all nuts and bolts with a little bit of cutting for the oil tank. Get the pieces, could be done in a weekend. That makes it pretty easy.

Now for the proper question, so we could give you a better answer.

I want to know what the best engine is for my street driven in the city car, that I take out for a long drive once a month down the coasthighway etc.... So which engine would be the best choice for my car?

To me your usage case and what you want the car to be in the end would determine the final out come.

Shifting gears as smooth as butter, with a modern car feel, Subaru all the way. If we could get Ian to build kits again, or even use Renegade Kit, it is a bolt in affair also, with minor cutting for cooling. Renegade Kit uses the factory transaxle, so no smooth as butter shifting.
GeorgeRud
If you live in an area where you do need heat, spend the money on the heat exchangers now that they are once again available. They work great (and hopefully fit correctly now), and keeps the car functional as defrost is also a nice feature to have working.

If you're using a 2.7, you'll need to change the flywheel to work with the 914's transmission as well. Enjoy the project in good health!
KELTY360
A turbo on a 3.3 Subie is a whole 'nother level of complexity. The 3.3 came NA from the factory.
914forme
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 30 2015, 11:29 AM) *

A turbo on a 3.3 Subie is a whole 'nother level of complexity. The 3.3 came NA from the factory.

Not as bad as you think really.

Click to view attachment

It is just a stretched 2.2Ls so all them piston, rods, etc work. Custom headers and down pipes and your done.

lol-2.gif Highly oversimplified
flmont
What trips me up is the wiring on the 3.3,..and the fact I cant fab anything like a radiator shroud,or weld tranny brackets,..Etc,..So yes,...914forme,..I did mean as far as skill goes,..and tools aswell,..yea, a sheet metal can brake some tin for me,..its the electrical wiring,..I need help with, But ,..also the stinger ECU is 1800.00,..maybe small car would be less $$,.but a early 2.7 install would be nice also,..no ECU,no rad,just oil tank and flywheel,..I wonder how close the money is either way,.both engines are close in HP ,..but rebuild cost,..on a 2.7....well we know that story,.. FM
76-914
Or keep your eyes open and buy one already done.
patssle
I have a photo album that documents my 3.0L flat six conversion - pretty much what you see is what needs to be done!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl
Cairo94507
I think a GT bodied 914 with a twin turbo Subaru boxer motor would be a hell of a car. If I had a deep deep pocket, that would be a fun car to have. I imagine a PMS build......
flmont
Hey,..Thanks Patssle,..That is great info,..would love to hear rhat engine,..??? LOL Frank
flmont
Oh absoultly Cairo,.. I couldn't even add up how much that would cost,...but, I would love to drive it !!!
flmont
Yea,..76-914,...I do truly like to build my own if at all possible,..thats how u learn your cars,...I did a top end on a 3.o ltr engine,..painted the car,..installed engine,.. drove car 3 yrs loved it,..I will do the same with the 914,.. the difference being no major mods,...I can remove and replace,..things no problem,...LOL
phillstek
QUOTE(patssle @ Oct 31 2015, 11:03 AM) *

I have a photo album that documents my 3.0L flat six conversion - pretty much what you see is what needs to be done!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl

Apologies for the hijack but...I took a look at your conversion blog and was wondering about your comment re: stainless braided oil line “I won’t use these again"

Why’s that?

Thanks
KELTY360
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 30 2015, 01:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It is just a stretched 2.2Ls so all them piston, rods, etc work. Custom headers and down pipes and your done.

Had no idea it was that simple..... shades.gif Easy peasy.

What a great looking setup. Bet that snaps your head back.
patssle
QUOTE(phillstek @ Oct 30 2015, 06:10 PM) *

Apologies for the hijack but...I took a look at your conversion blog and was wondering about your comment re: stainless braided oil line “I won’t use these again"

Why’s that?

Thanks

They are not user-friendly. Tough to get the hose ends screwed into the hose and also can scrape your fingers when cutting if not careful. They also don't bend barely at all. Also expensive.

There are some Push-Loc hoses/fittings I would probably try if I did another conversion.
patssle
QUOTE(flmont @ Oct 30 2015, 04:24 PM) *

Hey,..Thanks Patssle,..That is great info,..would love to hear rhat engine,..??? LOL Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIH5ZSfbTE
flmont
Damn,that is a sweet sound.....
MoveQik
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 30 2015, 08:14 AM) *

I'm getting started on Porsche 2.7L conversion. I'll detail the process (although this has already been done) as much to keep me on track as to help others. What I do know is involved are the following:

914/6 motor mount

You will also need to make a decision on the fuel system. I am going to initially use the stock 1974 CIS injection system that came with the engine I bought. I may later switch to Megasquirt injection since I currently have that on my 2056 4.

I believe I can keep the cost below $3,000 plus the cost of the engine so a total of about $8,000. I know that a Subi could be done for much less but I like the purity of keeping a Porsche engine.

FWIW, I think you will have to be willing to wait....and wait to find the right deal on every part you need if you plan to keep it under $3k. The oil tank and neck are $1k alone. Oil lines, thermostat, fittings, cooler shroud etc will add up WAY faster than you think.

I don't know if your list was intended to be all inclusive but there are a gang of parts needed that aren't listed here. Do a search and you should be able to find it...there are a couple of threads that put together a very detailed list of every part that you need to actually get conversion on the road. It is a lot more than an engine mount, headers and oil fittings.
r_towle
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 30 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Subaru made a twin turbo flat six?
What car did that come in, what years?
Chris H.
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 1 2015, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 30 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Subaru made a twin turbo flat six?
What car did that come in, what years?

I'm not aware of any stock Subaru 6 cylinder turbo engines. I think what they're getting at is that there WAS a 2.2L 4 cylinder turbo, and the 3.3 is just a 2.2 with 2 more cylinders so there are low compression pistons and stuff available stock. You do find some interesting builds when you search for EG33 turbo. A LOT of them have been turbo'd!

Dtjaden
My target cost of $3,000 is of course based on used and bargain parts as well as some fabricated parts. It does not include transforming the car into a full 914-6, just what is necessary to install a 6 cylinder Porsche engine. It also, of course does not include the cost of the engine.

Some example parts costs:
Flywheel - $100 used, OEM new under $200
914-6 motor mount - Under $300 new
Oil cooler - used Mazda RX7 and oil lines, under $300
Headers - new under $700, muffler used - under $150
CIS fuel pump - OEM $100
Engine oil lines - self made $200
Engine tins - under $300 or $50 if self fabricated
Shift linkage - self modified $0

I'm still looking for a decent used oil tank & fittings (PM me if you have one)

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 1 2015, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 30 2015, 08:14 AM) *

914/6 motor mount

FWIW, I think you will have to be willing to wait....and wait to find the right deal on every part you need if you plan to keep it under $3k. The oil tank and neck are $1k alone. Oil lines, thermostat, fittings, cooler shroud etc will add up WAY faster than you think.

I don't know if your list was intended to be all inclusive but there are a gang of parts needed that aren't listed here. Do a search and you should be able to find it...there are a couple of threads that put together a very detailed list of every part that you need to actually get conversion on the road. It is a lot more than an engine mount, headers and oil fittings.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.