Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to put an oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
I would like to install an oil cooler.

I don't want it in the front because of the long run of the lines. Thought about putting it under a GT engine deck lid - not a good idea introduction of hot air to the engine.

So the question is where to put it. Need some help please all ideas are welcomed.

Thanks
Bill
gklinger
This is what I'm going to be doing once my engine goes back in: Demick's install I was seeing temps near 250 F last summer, so I think it's a good idea for those of us in Fort Stinkin' Desert.
azbill
Thanks I got some good ideas for the thread. When mounting the cooler near the axle or rear well has anyone had a problem with road debry?
joea9146
I have been there and done that. I mounted the cooler in the rear and it just does not get enough Air.
I also did not want to run lines to the front of the car. But as we speak I am in the process of doing that right now. I would think living in AZ u need to get as much ari as possible to the cooler. I know u do not want to mount it in the front but I tried the rear location and it is not the best. Mount it up front and be done with it.
Brando
here's an idea i will pursue once I have the materials...

Cut a large hole in the engine sheet metal and run ducting from the engine bay (cool air) to the oil cooler with the fan attached. This will draw cooler air from above the car through the cooler. With a high-flow fan on top of the cooler, it should also stop hot air from the ground from coming back through to the engine bay.

... or just grab a 911 thermostat for the oil lines and plumberize the car smash.gif
Aaron Cox
thread hijack-

has anyone ever run the lines thruogh the passenger heater tube? and then out of the access panel in the passenger footwell... under the tank....and into the front trunk????
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 12:41 PM)
has anyone ever run the lines thruogh the passenger heater tube? and then out of the access panel in the passenger footwell... under the tank....and into the front trunk????

yes, all the time.
in fact, we do that on all the cars that have front mounted coolers ...

wink.gif Andy
J P Stein
thread hijack-

Yes. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 10 2005, 01:47 PM)
thread hijack-

has anyone ever run the lines thruogh the passenger heater tube?  and then out of the access panel in the passenger footwell... under the tank....and into the front trunk????

Yes. biggrin.gif

dude....need pics, and an order of oatmeal raisin cookies too
SirAndy
found it!

here's a old thread with pics on how to run the lines ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=13396

smash.gif Andy
TravisNeff
Bill you available this weekend for powerwash the underside of your car?
J P Stein
I've done the pics before, but what the hell.....
Engine bay:
J P Stein
Interior:
J P Stein
Front trunk:
ottox914
J.P., could you add one more photo, of the front of your car, to see the air into the cooler? Also, do you use that set up in addition to the factory cooler or in place of the factory cooler?

thanks-

david
Aaron Cox
and one more.... does all taht air exit through those 3 holes?
Randal
JP,

Thanks for the pictures. Do you have one showing the brackets for the oil cooler up front?

Trying to make mine as clean an installation as you did.

Thanks,

Randal
SirAndy
alright then, let's repost that stuff here, seems like no one clicks on links anymore these days ... screwy.gif

========================================

run them from the front trunk through the little passage tunnel inside the pass. side footwell, from there, next to the pass-side long to the back, then through the firewall ...

have the lines enter the small tunnel on the front firewall, route through tunnel ...

user posted image

tunnel exits into the pass. footwell, from there run alongside the long and then through back firewall ...

user posted image

btw. you can run the oil lines from there straight into the long without going through the top heater outlet.
there is a access hole in the side of the long where the blue arrow is pointed, it's covered with a tar-patch. this will give you easy access to the long tunnel.

that way, you minimize the length of oil-line inside the cabin (they DO radiate heat) ...

user posted image

smash.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
Ahndy...... thats where i ran my fuel lines.... ohmy.gif
user posted image
Type 4
That is a long way for the oil to run before it gets to the main bearings.
If you are going to run it that far you need to take the oil from the oil cooler stand not the filter adapter.
And be using one of my 38mm oil pumps.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 10 2005, 07:14 PM)
That is a long way for the oil to run before it gets to the main bearings.
If you are going to run it that far you need to take the oil from the oil cooler stand not the filter adapter.
And be using one of my 38mm oil pumps.

why cant you take it from the filter adpater? isnt the point to run both stock AND upfront cooler?
Type 4
There are two plugs on the casting tap in there. You will have both the internal oil cooler and the external oilcooler.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 06:14 PM)

why???? confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 10 2005, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 06:14 PM)

why???? confused24.gif

relocated pump up front.... like JP. just ran my fuel lines there.......to the tank
Type 4
The Engineers knew what they were doing.

The oil goes from the pump to the filter then to the passage to the main bearings.
A distance of a few inches.

Why have the oil go from the oil pump to a line that is many feet long then back to the main bearings?

The stock cooler is a bypass, using the oil gallerys in the oil cooler stand to plumb the external oil cooler.Your oil will not be taking a long winding path to reach the main bearings.

A dry sump in the 911 engine is a completely different Oiling system than the wet sump of the type 4.

The 911 oil travels from the tank to the pump and right to the bearings.

The oil coler is on the scavange side not the pressure side.

That's why a front mount cooler is fine to use with the Dry sump.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 10:46 PM)
relocated pump up front.... like JP. just ran my fuel lines there.......to the tank

yeah, but why ??? confused24.gif

what's wrong with the lines in the center tunnel ???
confused24.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 11 2005, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2005, 10:46 PM)

yeah, but why ??? confused24.gif

what's wrong with the lines in the center tunnel ???
confused24.gif Andy

no no no.....
i routed them from the trunk to the tank through that void you pointed out...
fuel line from tank to pump in front trunk. out put of pump to fuel line in center tunnel biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Randal:

A pic of the "bracket". I ain't that good with metal fabbing, but I'm hell on wheels with wood biggrin.gif That is 3/4 Oak plywood, screwed & glued, & fitted to the shape of the front bulkhead, then screwed & glued (using Vulcum calking) to the bulkhead....cobbled would be a gud word for the whole works.
J P Stein
Air flow.
My set-up is sufficient to hold the temps under 100C durring 150 minutes of track time and 2 driver AXs on a 90 deg day.

There are 2 things I could have done to improve the cooling had it been necessary.

1)More holes in the back bulkhead. I surmise that the area
I vent to is either a low or neutral pressure area. It seems to vent *very* well there. The oil comes into the cooler "no touch hot" and leaves warm to the touch.

2)Sealing off the area between the bumper and the front bulkhead around the cutout.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.