Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oklahoma Option for Ethanol Free Gas - anywhere else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Edited title, since folks may not equate the original postal shortcut of OK for Oklahoma.

After not being there since last year (2014) due to other business & family matters, I recently was in the Tulsa, Broken Arrow, Locust Grove, Tahlequah, Sallisaw, Roland & the general Northeast OK area 3x in Sept & Oct. & noticed something new (to me) with their gas stations.

That is - all of the stations have dropped their mid-range octane gas option, in favor of an Alcohol-Free (Ethanol-free) option with is about 30-50 cents more than their Ethanol-Regular (not sure if the Octane ratings are equal for Regular with & without).

That seems a great option for both our 914s & other classic cars, as well as for new cars - in order to avoid all the negative effects of the ethanol in fuel. (I was in a rental car on all trips, so didn't matter for me.)

When did OK make this change?
... & is it statewide & for all stations, or just optional &/or in certain areas? confused24.gif

Also, are any other states or localities doing this? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////
d914
I'm in OKC... some stations are alcohol free!!! That's what I use in all my cars.. They all have a few years on them!!
whatabout1
Here in NASCAR country (Charlotte NC)

Cashion's changed their high flow diesel pumps to no eth. (dang ! I have a F-250)
Also Kangaroo used to have race gas (103?) but I haven't been there in awhile.

Yea, a friend of mine has a blown Chev Nova 427 running over 12:1 and pings
with anything under 101 octane.
eyesright
Here in SW OK, the Shamrock stations and one independantstation offer ONLY alcohol free gas. Several others offer No E, 5% E, and 10%E gas.

In my 2015 Honda CR-V, I usually put whatever is nearby. My 2002 Toy MR-2 usually gets No E, and the 914 always get No E...except for cross country trips.

Several years ago the pump label said "up to 10% Eth" but each time I would test it it was Ethanol free. That went on for a couple of years.
era vulgaris
You can find your local ethanol free gas station with this website. It's updated pretty regularly.

http://pure-gas.org
r_towle
Or a marina.
Shadowfax
There are two stations here with ethanol-free gas.
JmuRiz
Wish they went ethanol free...back when it was the norm my Sunoco had 94 octane super. My chip'd A4 loved it. Hope it comes back.
914forme
Or move to Alaska, all gas is Ethanol Free
Tom_T
The Tulsa/NE-OK stations I stoped at & saw from their signs with the Regular-No-E were:

Walmart Sallisaw

Pilot, Fina & QT/Quik Trip, & Kum-n-Go (sounds like another type of "quickie stop" happy11.gif ), & some others in TUL, BA, Tahl., Locust Grove, Roland, Gore, Webers Falls, the stop on the Muskogee Tpk., etc.

So it seemed fairly widespread.

Also there is a station on the main drag US 64 thru Sallisaw which sell old school pure gas in hi-octane for those in that area. Don't recall the name, but it's a no-brand old time station on the south side of the street just before the bend south on the east end of town.

AFAIK - there is no such animal out here in the peoples republic of Kalifornia! dry.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 5 2015, 05:07 PM) *

Or move to Alaska, all gas is Ethanol Free

I wonder if that has something to do with freezing problems of the water that forms in a short while with Ethanol gas.

I just read an article in a R&T (waiting in Dr. office dry.gif ) about the Indy racers which used to use 100% alcohol, & that they had to drain & flush the fuel systems between races/seasons due to the high corrosivity of it!

They had a similar problem with the supercharged WWII aircraft engines which used alcohol & water injection corroding the fuel systems, such as with the P-38 & P-51 etc.

popcorn[1].gif
Tom
///////
Mike Bellis
I like ethanol gas. It works great in my turbo motor... biggrin.gif

You guys need turbos...
TheCabinetmaker
Real gas is on almost every corner now Tom. I have a station 1 block from home that sells 91 octane no ethanol. My car loves it. Some shell stations have 93 real gas.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

Real gas is on almost every corner now Tom. I have a station 1 block from home that sells 91 octane no ethanol. My car loves it. Some shell stations have 93 real gas.

I'll have you point me to them Curt, if I ever drive one of my own cars back there again.

It would be interesting to see if our Wheezy Westfalia would do better on 93 real gas! biggrin.gif

Did you get your 914 running right yet, after the dist problems?

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 5 2015, 05:46 PM) *

I like ethanol gas. It works great in my turbo motor... biggrin.gif

You guys need turbos...

Mike, the ethanol & byproduct water after sitting can still eat through your fuel system components, lines, hoses, etc. - as they found with racing & aircraft & hydroplane engines using alcohol in them for their turbo &/or super chargers.

So it's more a factor of preserving longevity of parts & fuel systems on our cars, & for storing them over the winter or between use for 1-2+ months, when the ethanol fuel puts water into your fuel tank by sitting too long. That's why Stabil sells so much product!

The MBTE used in Calif & elsewhere was far more corrosive to rubber parts, & turned out to be a carcinogen that could rapidly infiltrate in the soil down to ground water (faster than fuel, solvents, etc.).

Some feel the octane boost with ethanol is better for high compression & turbos, but the con is corrosiveness & watering-off in the fuel.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.