Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter will sometimes not engage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
I wrote asking for help a while back when I drove the car home a couple hours and it would not start after I parked it, but did in the morning, so I thought it was because of the engine heat.

Sometimes it will do it at startup in the morning. Turn the key, nothing happens with the starter. Four or five tries, and it fires up.

Yesterday, I drove it 30 min., parked it for 10 min., it started up.
Drove it for five minutes, parked it for five, it started up.
Drove it 10 minutes, parked it for five, and then no start.

It was an hour before my wife and son came so we could push it to pop it, but even after an hour, no start.

After we got it running, the headlights wouldn't work, so I parked it to leave it for the night. Turned it off, then tried starting it again. It started right away, and the headlights worked as well. So I guess the headlight issue had something to do with it being push started? Off topic.

So the question is, what needs to be replaced? The starter, or solenoid? (I assume it has a solenoid). Ignition switch?
porschetub
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Nov 11 2015, 06:37 AM) *

I wrote asking for help a while back when I drove the car home a couple hours and it would not start after I parked it, but did in the morning, so I thought it was because of the engine heat.

Sometimes it will do it at startup in the morning. Turn the key, nothing happens with the starter. Four or five tries, and it fires up.

Yesterday, I drove it 30 min., parked it for 10 min., it started up.
Drove it for five minutes, parked it for five, it started up.
Drove it 10 minutes, parked it for five, and then no start.

It was an hour before my wife and son came so we could push it to pop it, but even after an hour, no start.

After we got it running, the headlights wouldn't work, so I parked it to leave it for the night. Turned it off, then tried starting it again. It started right away, and the headlights worked as well. So I guess the headlight issue had something to do with it being push started? Off topic.

So the question is, what needs to be replaced? The starter, or solenoid? (I assume it has a solenoid). Ignition switch?

My ignition switch caused a whole lot of issues,differant ones @ different times,I replaced it and everything works first time everytime,mine had split thru the plastic housing which appears a common issue.
The fact your headlights stopped working points more towards the ignition switch.
Before you replace that I would first look @ your gearbox to body earth strap and check all connections to your starter,are your battery connections clean and in good condition ?.
Your starter may require a clean or a service,the solenoids can stick up also,they are generally pretty reliable but due to age they can give problems.
Good luck.
CooltimesJr
yeah i was going to say ground strap too, that will come loose or any corrosion and it plays games on the starting system.
Dave_Darling
I would suspect the ignition switch, and most of the connections from the battery to the switch to the starter and back to the battery.

--DD
Tom
Depending on the year model, you car has either 3 or 4 red wires connected to the positive battery terminal. Check these for corrosion and good contact with the battery positive. If someone has not already done it, replace the ring electrical connectors with some new ones, making sure to cut back to nice clean copper before crimping the new connectors.
The attached pic will give you the idea.
Tom
cooper951
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Those red wires on mine look really marginal. Think I'll start there.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 10 2015, 06:33 PM) *

I would suspect the ignition switch, and most of the connections from the battery to the switch to the starter and back to the battery.

--DD

If you "jump" the hot to the solenoid at the starter does the starter engage? Make sure you have the car in neutral.

Also as DD points out the BIG cable from the battery to the starter has caused similar problems. If it is original it should be replaced.
porschetub
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Nov 12 2015, 05:18 AM) *

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Those red wires on mine look really marginal. Think I'll start there.

a good place to start for sure and certainly easier than changing your ignition switch,good luck.
arsprod
Next time it happens try turning the key and holding it a second - mine will start in a few seconds. I know I need to have the starter and solenoid rebuilt but it'll get you going temporarily.
cooper951
I replaced the connectors on the four red wires to the battery positive terminal, but no change.

I jumped the pos to the neg terminal on the solenoid, and I could hear the starter whirring, but it never engaged the engine to turn it over.

Going to clean all connections to the starter next, where is the gearbox to body earth groundstrap located? Under the car, or inside under the carpet?

TIA
porschetub
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Nov 14 2015, 06:07 AM) *

I replaced the connectors on the four red wires to the battery positive terminal, but no change.

I jumped the pos to the neg terminal on the solenoid, and I could hear the starter whirring, but it never engaged the engine to turn it over.

Going to clean all connections to the starter next, where is the gearbox to body earth groundstrap located? Under the car, or inside under the carpet?

TIA

Theres is a welded in stud under the car in the rear,strap connects there and then goes the gearbox .
You can buy the metal braided one new or just buy one of the right length from an autoparts store,the crimped end eyes are 8mm.
Sounds like your solenoid my be sticking up or not working ,have you removed the starter yet?
dangrouche
the ground strap for the tranny is located on the underside of the rear trunk; IIRC on the driver side, behind the starter, close to the license plate. A braided mesh strap secured by a 13mm nut to a stud. If I were a betting man and because it is not heat related, I would be changing the ignition switch, below the key. Check the ground. If the problem repeats, then I would change the ignition switch. Therafter, I would be checking testing the starter out of the car, in a vise to see the see the starter gear pop in and out with voltage applied.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=268357

here is a great diagram of all ground points on the car. I suggest this because of your headlight issue.
Briby37
Currently chasing down a similar problem on mine. Cleaned/checked the connections and all good. New starter seems to have maybe been the trick, but not ready to call it solved until I stop worrying every time I turn the key. Only other culprit would be the ifnition switch, but that was replaced about 6 months ago. Sounds like you're on the same path I was - good luck! You'll get there eventually.
cooper951
Thanks, found the ground strap. Will check the connections on it. If cleaning all the connections on the starter and ground strap doesn't do it, sounds like pulling the starter would be an easier path than replacing the ignition switch. ???
cooper951
I was able to get the ground strap off the bottom of the trunk, but couldn't find any way to get it off the tranny (how the heck do you get a wrench on that thing?). In any case, the connection on the body looked quite clean, and overall, the strap looks like the newest thing on the car. Since the engine was rebuilt and installed shortly before I bought it, I'm guessing they replaced that strap then.

Went to the starter, cleaned all connections.

Still no start. Seems like half of those who have replied think it might be the ignition switch, and the other half think it could be the starter/solenoid. Since the starter job looks fairly straightforward, and I have no idea how to get to the ignition switch, I'm leaning that way. But maybe changing the ignition switch is an easy fix. Thoughts?
arsprod
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Nov 13 2015, 02:53 PM) *

I was able to get the ground strap off the bottom of the trunk, but couldn't find any way to get it off the tranny (how the heck do you get a wrench on that thing?). In any case, the connection on the body looked quite clean, and overall, the strap looks like the newest thing on the car. Since the engine was rebuilt and installed shortly before I bought it, I'm guessing they replaced that strap then.

Went to the starter, cleaned all connections.

Still no start. Seems like half of those who have replied think it might be the ignition switch, and the other half think it could be the starter/solenoid. Since the starter job looks fairly straightforward, and I have no idea how to get to the ignition switch, I'm leaning that way. But maybe changing the ignition switch is an easy fix. Thoughts?

Get some contact cleaner (I like cramolin but it's hard to find) and spray the crap outta the starter contacts, ground connection, and into the ignition switch. This stuff can clean off oxidation and lubricate the switch and contacts.
Dave_Darling
Those are not the only connections in the current path. Clean all of them. (Battery + as well, the smaller wires that feed battery power into the main wiring harness, the relay board connections, the starter switch plug, and on and on.)

--DD
cooper951
QUOTE(Briby37 @ Nov 13 2015, 11:33 AM) *

Currently chasing down a similar problem on mine. Cleaned/checked the connections and all good. New starter seems to have maybe been the trick, but not ready to call it solved until I stop worrying every time I turn the key. Only other culprit would be the ifnition switch, but that was replaced about 6 months ago. Sounds like you're on the same path I was - good luck! You'll get there eventually.

Sent you a PM sad.gif
dangrouche
Pelican Parts ignition switch change out

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tion_switch.htm
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Nov 13 2015, 12:07 PM) *

TIA

Positive to negative? Jump the large terminal with the large wire from the battery to the small spade terminal where the yellow wire is plugged in. First, remove the yellow wire and check it for 12 volts with the key in the start position.
cooper951
Thanks for everyone for the help on this. Put new ends on those four wires, cleaned off all connections, but that didn't do it. Pulled the starter (with some help on getting to the bolt/nut on the far side, and had it rebuilt. New solenoid, new bushings, cleaned, and she fired right up! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.