Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Fun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
That you can install an MSD tach adapter to run an SC tach in a 914, and that an old relay panel could allow enough voltage to arc to another circuit that the starter will not disengage when the engine is started?

Truth is stranger than fiction.

I didn't even get mad. It's so strange, I just had to laugh.

At Series 9, I'm finding that about 90% of electrical irregularities can be traced to the relay panel.

When I convert a car to /6, I now insist on an internally regulated alternator and relay-panel-delete.

beerchug.gif
jimkelly
what is a relay panel delete look like? got any pics?
stugray
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 10 2015, 03:39 PM) *

Insead of delete, there is always upgrade:
IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=259295
Mark Henry
I just got rid of my relay panel, I "made" a direct plug-in connector. Nothing on the relay board I need for a /6 carb conversion.

I'm using an external regulator, my research I found the internal regs have reliability/heat issues.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 10 2015, 02:39 PM) *

Thread on the subject
Basically it looks like nothing. I will contact Perry Kiehl or and/or Jeff Bowlsby for a board replacing wiring harness when I'm ready to put my car back together.
Series9
It looks like two or three Weatherpak connectors, or one male 14-pin connector set up to mate with the plug on the front of the relay board.

Most of my custom work uses the Weatherpak connectors these days.

If you don't have rear window defog or a heater blower, the relay panel is just an old, complicated connector that's waiting to give you trouble.

You can plug your voltage regulator directly into the alternator harness, without having to use the relay board. You just need to T the blue field wire from the front plug into the alternator harness.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 11 2015, 09:45 AM) *

It looks like two or three Weatherpak connectors, or one male 14-pin connector set up to mate with the plug on the front of the relay board.

If you don't have rear window defog or a heater blower, the relay panel is just an old, complicated connector that's waiting to give you trouble.

You can plug your voltage regulator directly into the alternator harness, without having to use the relay board. You just need to T the blue field wire from the front plug into the alternator harness.

agree.gif

My car has a rear window defogger, but if I decide I still want it I'll just use a SPST relay.
76-914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 11 2015, 06:45 AM) *

This is also true for non-Porsche conversions. beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 11 2015, 06:45 AM) *

I used Deutsch connectors but same story. I ended up with several extra connections simply not in the relay board. And I have never liked the fourteen pin things. Kegs and I was done. Did manage to wire the starter yellow wire to something else, but that is another story. I think if you simply go on faith and don't trace things out it is asking for trouble, as with the cross over harnesses. The assumptions about set ups vary.
worn
Double post
Series9
Here's what it looks like, at least, in the beginning of the conversion...

Darren C
I'm finding that about 90% of electrical irregularities can be traced to the PO
Series9
QUOTE(Darren C @ Nov 23 2015, 05:16 PM) *

I'm finding that about 90% of electrical irregularities can be traced to the PO

It's difficult to argue that point. However, PO notwithstanding....
Tom
Here is an electrical drawing I made when wiring up Billy's Gulf Blue conversion using 14 pin connectors and weather pak connectors.
Tom
Perry Kiehl Clone
You can get a 6 pole connector like that
worn
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Nov 24 2015, 05:57 AM) *

You can get a 6 pole connector like that

In Deutsch or Weather Pak. At least I have used quite a few 6-connector Deutsch plugs. Also 8-connector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.