Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
I hate to ask because it should be pretty straight forward and I've searched the site for an explanation but couldn't find one.

So, what is the process for seat removal? The bolts at the rear of the track are easy enough to access but what about the forward bolts?
Or does the seat slide out of the tracks somehow?
I just need to access the wiring and do a little cleaning (surface rust removal) of the floor.

Thanks in advance.
mepstein
The seat slides off the track. I slide my finger under the track next to the sill. Press on the metal spring and slide the seat forward. Once you find the flat metal spring and push it flat to the rail, the seat will slide out of the track. Takes seconds. No tools.
Montreal914
Two ways:

What you described; 2 screws on each side in the back. The front is simply engaged in the tilt mechanism. Once you remove the 4 rear screws, the seat is pretty much free (you will see).

Or, slide the seat all the way forward until it its the stop, then back it off by 1/4-1/2". You then need to slide your finger in one of the two rails (I forget which one) from the front side and lift the metal tongue (stopping device) which will allow you to pull the seat forward, completely out of the rail.

Worth removing with the screws the first time which will allow you to see the stopping mechanism with the seat out of the car. You can then slide out the rails, do even more cleaning.

Next time you will be able to do just the slide out.

Good luck.
74ravenna
Yup, came right out.

Now, there were/are disconnected wires that look like they are supposed to plug into the relays under the seat.
Are all of these supposed to plug in, my guess is yes, then if so how do I figure out where the 3 leads plug in?

Steve
Dave_Darling
Sounds like you have a 74? If so, those are for the "door ajar" buzzer, and for the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay. The relay can AND SHOULD be disarmed by splicing the two fat yellow wires that run to it together. The relay itself can be discarded or reinstalled, whatever floats your boat, at that point.

--DD
74ravenna
I do have a 74! I will take your advice and disarm it.

Thanks
Steve
EdwardBlume
Not a bad idea to clean the rails and add some lubricant ie grease the rails upon reinstallation. 74s are the best BTW. shades.gif
74ravenna
I am definitely cleaning and lubing the rails. They operate very difficultly.

I first need to touch up some surface rust where the steel brackets that hold the relays and seat rails mount. Basically anything above where the coating was applied by the factory.

As I chip off the coating around the seams I quickly get to shiny gray steel. Should I trust that there is no need to proceed and can leave the original coating on or is it more likely that there'll be hidden rust in some areas?

Thanks
Steve
orthobiz
My take on it in an old thread with lots of (excruciating) detail:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=231430&hl=

Paul
74ravenna
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 15 2015, 04:24 PM) *

Sounds like you have a 74? If so, those are for the "door ajar" buzzer, and for the Dreaded Seatbelt Interlock Relay. The relay can AND SHOULD be disarmed by splicing the two fat yellow wires that run to it together. The relay itself can be discarded or reinstalled, whatever floats your boat, at that point.

--DD

Click to view attachment

So do I understand this correctly?
I splice the yellow/red stripe and yellow/white stripe together and tape off the rest of the wires?

ThanksClick to view attachment
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Dec 13 2015, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 15 2015, 04:24 PM) *

--DD

Click to view attachment

So do I understand this correctly?
I splice the yellow/red stripe and yellow/white stripe together and tape off the rest of the wires?

ThanksClick to view attachment

I have a 74, so popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Yes. Splice the thick yellow/red wires together, and cover the splice with shrink tubing, to keep water and dirt out. Unless your 914 has no leaks. wink.gif

--DD
74ravenna
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 13 2015, 02:54 PM) *

Yes. Splice the thick yellow/red wires together, and cover the splice with shrink tubing, to keep water and dirt out. Unless your 914 has no leaks. wink.gif

--DD

Ok, will do!

Leaks? Its probably not "if" it leaks but how many leaks it'll have once its on the road.
It hasn't been started in 32 years. It just sat it the POs cellar for that whole time so lots of dry rubber.

Thanks once again for the help.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.