Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet Another Front Oil Cooler Topic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
Still in the planning stages for my 2366 build with 1.5" headers and a SuperTrapp muffler. I'm trying to devise a way to use a front mount oil cooler with as little modification to the car as possible. So, I'm considering removing the fresh air box that is right behind the gas tank and replacing it with an oil cooler. A few considerations I need help with:

1. Would I get "enough" air flow through here? I know it won't be ideal, but the car will be street use only.

2. How could I run the oil lines back to the engine? I won't be using heat, so I'm thinking through the dash and back through the heat channels. Would I be able to route the oil line this way?

3. Would I need a fan too, or would the cooling provided by just running the oil through this length of line provide enough cooling at idle?

I'm sure someone has tried this before, but I couldn't find any info on it.
Montreal914
In this thread post #190.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...02&hl=front oil cooler
VWTortuga336
Thanks for the link. Looks like that location would provide enough air flow. I guess my biggest question now is about oil line routing.

Also, isn't that fan going to push air up, the opposite direction of flow when the car is driving? Is that an issue?
brant
its been done multiple times
there are at least 3-4 threads on this over the club history that I know of
there are 3 race cars in colorado (all 1.7's oddlsy) that are built this way... pictures of them in some of the threads that I've posted

I'm not sure it would support a big bore
racers with 1.7's had to add scoops to get more air in
VWTortuga336
Any chance you have a link to a build thread that you are referring to?
RickS
Even though I have a front mounted oil cooler, I routed the lines behind the gas tank, through the back of the front wheel well and routed the lines under the rocker panels, then up and through the back of the rear wheel well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.