Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A REWARDING night...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
I had an opportunity to "display" at my friend's High School shop during their annual vendor (Caterpillar, Kubota, NAPA, etc.) open house last night. It was an honor. Bob "BigKat" Bischoff was supposed to join me but had a last minute trip. Anyone else in North Georgia who is interested is welcome to join me next year! Please come if you can - you will be rewarded beyond measure.

The enthusiasm in these young folks was inspiring - not to mention their respectful, confident interaction with adults. I am very impressed with them and the programs effectiveness at giving them structure, skill sets and something to hope for - good for them all!

PS: Maybe a seed was planted and we'll have a new 914 owner someday! I hope so...

Tony/Cracker

Departure
Click to view attachment

Group Picture & Test Fit (Each kid wanted to "sit" in the car)! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Guests & Well Attended!
Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
Way to go!! I love it!!

Partnering with a local school auto shop class is something I am just beginning to explore up in my area. Inspiring kids to dream of the possibilities is important. You never know just who you'll inspire. . .

smilie_pokal.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 18 2015, 09:44 AM) *

Way to go!! I love it!!

Partnering with a local school auto shop class is something I am just beginning to explore up in my area. Inspiring kids to dream of the possibilities is important. You never know just who you'll inspire. . .

smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

Nice post thanks for sharing.
Cracker
I've done absolutely nothing. I am, however, proud of my old buddy, Dave Darden who took over a program in shambles and turned it on end. After 25 years at Caterpillar, Dave choose to spend the rest of his working life pouring into these young people. Priceless and selfless!

Last year, they became ASE certified under his leadership and have two co-ed engine building teams who both have qualified at the regional competition level. Inspiration for me comes from Dave's lead and leaves me wondering how I need to contribute too. Well beyond simple interaction and showing up with a car once a year.

All the best!

Tony
Mueller
Pretty cool....glad you could do that.

Did you introduce yourself as Tony or ? biggrin.gif
Vysoc
Awesome story, your car probably blew their minds!!!

Thanks for sharing a great experience.

Vysoc flag.gif
02loftsmoor
I'm impressed !!
Cracker
LOL! Want to take a guess? rolleyes.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 18 2015, 05:33 PM) *

Pretty cool....glad you could do that.

Did you introduce yourself as Tony or ? biggrin.gif
76-914
That's a wonderful thing you guys did. Another Pearl in your crown. piratenanner.gif These things make enormous & lasting impressions on young minds. I was involved in a similar thing, albeit aircraft, with an elementary school in Austin 20 yr's ago. The ANG actually landed a couple of choppers one year. I often wonder how many of those kids went on to become pilots, AA's, A&P's or even flight controllers. biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 18 2015, 01:08 PM) *

I've done absolutely nothing. I am, however, proud of my old buddy, Dave Darden who took over a program in shambles and turned it on end. After 25 years at Caterpillar, Dave choose to spend the rest of his working life pouring into these young people. Priceless and selfless!

Last year, they became ASE certified under his leadership and have two co-ed engine building teams who both have qualified at the regional competition level. Inspiration for me comes from Dave's lead and leaves me wondering how I need to contribute too. Well beyond simple interaction and showing up with a car once a year.

All the best!

Tony

That is truly awesome give your buddy a big high five for all of us for his dedication to the next generation!! what a great way to mentor, give direction to them. - a friend of mine(80 years young) is an electrician and has a saying that " he who has a trade, controls his destiny" Keep up the good work!
BTW that car looks awesome!!- I hate it when a 914 gets chopped up poke.gif but its way better than being crushed first.gif
Maltese Falcon
After finishing high school I continued to drop by and visit with the Auto Shop faculty and students. Usually driving up in some Detroit iron "1,320' car". It is good to see the lights come on with the next gen of automotive techs, and future car guys to-be. Never a dull moment in Mike Piehl's auto shop biggrin.gif
Way to go Cracker aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.