Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tie-rod end question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Was bleeding brakes today and tightening connections on the front sway bars and checked tightness of nuts on tie rod ends.
Pass side nice and tight. On driver's side the nut and shaft would spin rather easily but did turn together. Everything seems tight and no noticeable slop when driving. Also noted no way to put in cotter pins- couldn't find any holes. Can't figure out why one side is tight and other side turns?? Sorry for "dumb" question!!

Ball joints are new on both sides...

Wondered about new tie rod ends from Pelican- figured I'll need the tool to push out the old ones, right??
dangrouche
The tie rod ends I have removed have always needed a ball joint separator or pickle fork. The Lemforder OEM tie rod ends used cotter pins. the non-OEM cheaper ones (made in Asia) use a Nyloc nut. The one that that you have that is rotating may either be not snugged up enough or there may have been a bit of grease in the hole when it was installed and that accounts for the ability for it to rotate. but if you say there is no slop, I would double check that you have no play whatsoever. could be that tie rod end was not up to spec. If you needed a wrench to rotate that nut, then I would not worry about it. If I can turn the nut with my hand, then I would replace that tie rod end. thinking about it some more, that steering arm may have an enlarged bore which accounts for you ability to rotate that tie rod end.
Ductech
I've found that the cheapies do start rotating once you hit the nylock then you have to compress them into the arm to put some resistance against it to finish tightening. Channel locks!
Spoke
You should tighten that tie rod bolt as soon as possible. I wouldn't drive on it till it's tightened.
914Sixer
Get rid of the nyloc and get a castle nut original with cotter pin. Old school thinking I know but why risk it!
SKL1
Looks like another order to Pelican- got 'em on speed dial!!
draganc
Fyi, I just bought a brand new Lemforder turbo tie rod and it had a nylon nut, not the castle nut.
Bought it from a legit source.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 20 2015, 07:46 PM) *

Fyi, I just bought a brand new Lemforder turbo tie rod and it had a nylon nut, not the castle nut.
Bought it from a legit source.

Progress? headbang.gif
injunmort
if the taper is seated correctly. nylock is fine. the nylock nuts are one use only. clean the taper well, sprinkle a little talc in the taper and set the weight of the car on the joint to set the taper and tighten.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.