Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size plate is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plastex
I was wondering what thickness this plate is? I am building this type of roll bar on my car, and need to know the thickness of it. I am using 3/16" for the other plates, but I think it would be too thick for this.

thanks,
Oscar
Akron, OhioClick to view attachment
Chris914n6
You might want to rethink this plan. That hump is not a structural member nor that strong.
whitetwinturbo
agree.gif
screenguy914
Not sure what's the application. If road use, you could install a harness bar at shoulder height and connect those two existing diagonal bars onto it, then fix the roll bar to the B pillars via weld or bolt.

Sherwood
Racer
My '76 had a similar design. I believe it was a safety devices roll cage. There was support on both sides of the firewall. Pretty thick plates on both sides iirc. I then ran harness bars to the "v" supports as mentioned above.
brant
It was an option on the safety devices cages

I cut it out of my cage
Wasted weight with limited structural benefit
(Dead weight)
dflesburg
I agree.

not needed.
plastex
Wasnt this the style used on the 914/6's? The car will be a road car that I want to be able to take to local tracks, (Nelson Leges/Midohio). I currently drive my 996TT, but want to switch over to this car within the next couple of years.

thanks,
Oscar
Akron Ohio
SirAndy
How tall are you?

With that design you won't be able to move the seats all the way back and your head clearance is limited.

The top bar could easily go 4" higher and still fit under the targa top ...
popcorn[1].gif
Vysoc
To your original question, that plate thickness is 1/8" and has another plate on the opposite site welded and then bolted to.
Yes, this is what some of the 914-6 GT cars had for their stiffening packages.

McMark still makes and sells them.

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.