Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/LS vs 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cracker
Sorry Andy for the late reply...just got to the hotel. My "unpleasant" experience was on public roads as were the testing with the changes. I've been duped before because its impossible to duplicate driving at track limits on the street. However, my biggest gripe was with straight line acceleration stability - I believe I'm good/comfortable. I have no basis for how this car will handle when pushed through the corners. Tomorrow will be quite an eye opener - I hope for the better. I have TWO back up shocks (rear) in the hauler and one brand new on on the RR. I wasn't taking chances blowing the trip over a shock. I'll let you know how it turns out and if I have time to focus on Video - some footage. Thanks for the tips and feedback!

Tony

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 4 2015, 01:37 PM) *

Tony,

Looks like you're all set to go. When you say "much more pleasant", did you track it already, or just run it around town?

When I took my 914/LS! to Willow Springs (Streets), I quickly discovered my right rear shock (Koni DA) was blown out. Did only two sessions before deciding what's the use; too unstable on right handers (especially when running CW direction), and packed it up. Got to say that it otherwise behaved very well right out of the box with the suspension settings I used. Tire temp profiles were nearly perfect.

Andys

Cracker
UPDATE:

Okay. I had a good day. Still running after a full day of tracking (YAY!) - no mechanicals! The car I'm chasing is an ex-IMSA 997 Cup Car (sequential)- AMAZING car actually. It is owned by a former Brumos racing team member - quick car and driver. Anyway, he put 2 seconds a lap on me. This was only my (and the cars) second session...who says a LS 914 is too heavy? poke.gif

PS: I hit 154 down the front straight - braking way, way early - I'll fix that!

Tony/Cracker

https://youtu.be/9Te6GScwxek

andys
Tony,

Looks like a fun drive! Anything to report on how the car behaved, and the data you recorded (track data sheets)?

Andys
Andyrew
Awesome! Looks like the chassis is really stable! In some spots I thought the back might come around it just stayed planted. Good job!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 5 2015, 07:14 PM) *

UPDATE:

Okay. I had a good day. Still running after a full day of tracking (YAY!) - no mechanicals! The car I'm chasing is an ex-IMSA 997 Cup Car (sequential)- AMAZING car actually. It is owned by a former Brumos racing team member - quick car and driver. Anyway, he put 2 seconds a lap on me. This was only my (and the cars) second session...who says a LS 914 is too heavy? poke.gif

PS: I hit 154 down the front straight - braking way, way early - I'll fix that!

Tony/Cracker

https://youtu.be/9Te6GScwxek *

*The link will be available about 11 PM EST Saturday night - big file! I'm tired and going to bed!

Wow Tony.....sweet driving....what transmission & linkage are you using...nice positive shifts.
Cracker
My good buddy, Terry O'Toole (SixAddict)" was also here this weekend. He did a great job piloting his "massaged" 3.0 914 around! Herman (Porter?) - it was also good to see you again! beer.gif beer.gif

Andy - I don't have telemetry...I have "seat of the pants" feedback - low tech I guess. The car felt amazingly stable but once I pushed it a little harder the rear was getting loose. It was occurring too easily though. Today, before the second session, I changed four things (at once), I know that's not suggested but fortunately it worked. We took 1" off the front bar (tighter), lowered the rear by 3/8", lowered tire temps to 25 psi (from 27), and set the rear shocks to full-stiff. This made an amazing difference - totally settled the rear when pushed and stayed that way throughout the entire session.

Andyrew - Thanks. Yes it is very stable.

John/Wndsrfer - Thank you. The trans is an early Boxster S (iirc a 2003) with a Guard LSD and the shifter is made by CAE with motorsports cables. I couldn't imagine an H-pattern shifter/trans being any better (for performance). It took a little time tweaking and adjusting but once we got it dialed in - oh baby! How was Daytona? Video you can share?

BTW: You might have noticed an ignition stumble several times..I am not doing this of course. A flaw in my intake design has the MAF sensor at a convergence point where as it needs to be fed within a 4" tube and with a straight feed 6" prior. We are having to use a speed density tune which isn't perfect. Parts to correct this are on the way but not in time for this weekend. In the future this stumble will (should) a thing of the past. It caused the back end to come around on lap 2 in the video - I just kept my foot in it, steered towards it and pulled the next gear. A little unnerving at times...
Tony
Justinp71

Nice Car! Awesome video chasing the GT3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.