Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dr dr gimmie the news...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
in prep for the new bushings i found it easier to just pull the whole thing than fight the old bushings while removing the a-arms. more on what i found later.

k
rhodyguy
hard contact.

k
ablose58
I got the disease too cool_shades.gif
rhodyguy
at least both sides match. rolleyes.gif

k
rhodyguy
new to me used components. al blose is the man. probably should clean things up a bit.
rhodyguy
and more. i used a paint called Zero-Rust. all parts were blasted, run through the dish washer, and baked in the oven. painted while still warm.

k
markb
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2005, 06:55 AM)
run through the dish washer, and baked in the oven.

k

I really think Marcie would have me by the short hairs if I used her dishwashwer and oven for car parts. biggrin.gif Being that she loves her "little car" as much as I love mine, she seems to have her limits. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
they went in after blasting and being cleaned with air. the tricks are... put them in the dual purpose g.e. dishwasher/hot tank and oven/drying machine when she's not home. check the filter when you're done, and no joke, put a 1/2 cup of tang in the washer and run it empty. cleans it like you wouldn't believe. no foul, if you don't get caught. wink.gif this will be a running thread while i do the bottom and front trunk after ac HUGE hole repair.

k
rhodyguy
i'll add this. i don't want to lay on the garage floor to take bottom shots. again al, your the man, man!!!! chatsmiley.gif

k
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ Mar 12 2005, 08:03 AM)

I really think Marcie would have me by the short hairs if I used her dishwashwer and oven for car parts. biggrin.gif Being that she loves her "little car" as much as I love mine, she seems to have her limits. laugh.gif

I have a dishwasher on wheels that I was going to use for a parts washer and never got around to it. Want it? biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
The trunk repair is looking good!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Mine has the same repair in the front trunk.
rhodyguy
why the measurement from the center of the tierod end, to the face on the rack end was greater on one side. dry.gif

k
red914
good looking parts, there, Kevin! cant' wait to see them in action.

it was good to see you this morning. keep us posted on this progress, eh?
Series9
As long as you send a SASE, everything will be fine.
rhodyguy
forward with a little step back. i got over zealous with the grinder. but still, forward.

k
red914
dude! now what? POR15? paint? you do nice, even, work with a grinder.
rhodyguy
"if i just take the light motors off it will make it much easier" rolleyes.gif . i need an intervention. corners were not too bad at all.

k
rhodyguy
asdf
rhodyguy
worst of the bunch.
rhodyguy
more.
rhodyguy
more.
rhodyguy
more
Bleyseng
Its gonna take a case of rattle cans to paint all that!
biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
the color match paint seems to have a lot of solids. i figure under 2 for the top side of the front trunk. i have one and a half and ordered some more yesterday. i'm not done removing items yet. screwy.gif

k
rhodyguy
Mar-Hyde and foil masking. paint today.

k
rhodyguy
much better. reassemble tomorrow.
redshift
Does it not rain where you are? screwy.gif It rains here, and my car was quite a bit worse two years ago...

Can we get some closeups of the jackstands?

wink.gif

M
red914
wow, Kevin, that looks great! i can't wait to see it up close. i will eventually need pointers on doing similiar things, only much more sweeping and all encompassing...
rhodyguy
this car lived in sacramento prior to purchase. biggrin.gif . yours must have lived closer to the beach miles unsure.gif . a few corner pictures.

k
rhodyguy
asdf
ablose58
wacko.gif wacko.gif smilie_pokal.gif Nice kevin!!
rhodyguy
asdf
rhodyguy
asdf
redshift
Beach! Yes! I hate the beach.

Look, anytime you need a place to work on my car.. 4 year minimum active, and then... well, email me if you'd like more details... but it includes no traveling to exotic places, and daily rations of Purina People Chow...

chowtime.gif

I dunno Kev, sounds like a good offer. I'd take it.

agree.gif

Looks like a landslide.

Actually, just ship me your car, and I'll ship you mine, kind of even it out. smile.gif

M
red914
if i pulled my rubber seal out, i think the metal track would come with it. blink.gif kind of neat, how without the rubber your looks all neat and clean. did the car come that way? huh.gif

i am convinced they built mine out of this interesting crumbly material, kind of a brick color. headbang.gif doesn't hold up very well. i think yours is a better idea. idea.gif

i am really looking forward to seeing your work in person. pray.gif
rhodyguy
the rust demon gets underneath the seal adhesive and wrecks havok. i was lucky and only minor surface slab areas of the chanel came off when the seal was pulled. there was heavy, hard to remove primer like stuff in the corners. dry.gif . weld spatter was everywhere. they never bothered to clean it up at the factory. me either w00t.gif . i like to save the provenance cool.gif . we are officially in a drought. no snow in the mountains to speak of and the dryest winter i can ever remember. washington is going to burn up this summer. everyone's going to pay through the nose for power and there will be irrigation issues with regards to new rules about water flow to maintain salmon habitat and spawnning. back on topic now.

k
red914
just the little ray of sunshine this morning, aren't we?

you are right, though. it isn't just the dry we will worry about. power, irrigation, salmon. at least all the time i would have spent mowing my lush, green lawn i can instead work on my car! wub.gif every cloud has a silver lining, right?
Root_Werks
Kevin, that front trunk rocks! Great job! smilie_pokal.gif I can't wait to see the work in person. clap.gif
rhodyguy
one more.

k
Bleyseng
missed a spot!!!

hahahah biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
i hate this.

k
rhodyguy
not as much as i HATE THIS!!!!

k
jones
Kevin, Mine are COMPLETLY gone. When the AC lines were put in the entire sill supports were removed AND that entire front portion removed (portion close to the front wheel). I am watching this post close. I will be doing the same
rhodyguy
when you're ready for it i'll tell you the cheap and easy way to fix the notch in the engine shelve that's cut for the ac compressor and belt.

k
rhodyguy
in their zeal to put in the ac, they just peaned over the edges to not chaffe the ac lines. a little pry bar and hammer action and i have semi flat edges to put the patch on. i'll mar-hyde this area, AFTER repairing.

k
watsonrx13
K, this is the same section I'll be restoring on my car this weekend....
watsonrx13
Here's the other side...
rhodyguy
a heat gun and wood chisel will peel the seam seal at the front hole fast, as in a couple of minutes. this will give you more surface area to work with. you should be able to straighten out the surrounding areas pretty easily. how's the rust inside? i cleaned it out with a pointy bendy tool to get the crud at the bottom seam out.

k
rhodyguy
where i live, i would deduct $500 from the price of a car that had ac installed. maybe more depending how butchered up the install was.

k
rhodyguy
in sort of a holding pattern. 98% of painting done. this is ready to go.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.