Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what should i charge for a complete fi system for 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe

it worked when it came out for carbs.only part i dont have is trigger points.harness is broken ,but easily repairable.i want to be fair and get some money and get it to someone who can use it
Mikey914
Really depends on the overall condition and exactly what you are including. Known good MPS, is an adder too. The real question is why are you going to carbs? If you only need the trigger points, use the FI system. You MAY, get a few more HP in going to carbs, but a good FI system is more dependable, and efficient. Yes it sounds cool, but I'm still fighting issues with my 2.0 and webber carbs. So yes I would be a candidate if you do want to sell it. Pics help too.
100-500?
That's my guess.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 29 2015, 04:30 PM) *

Really depends on the overall condition and exactly what you are including. Known good MPS, is an adder too. The real question is why are you going to carbs? If you only need the trigger points, use the FI system. You MAY, get a few more HP in going to carbs, but a good FI system is more dependable, and efficient. Yes it sounds cool, but I'm still fighting issues with my 2.0 and webber carbs. So yes I would be a candidate if you do want to sell it. Pics help too.
100-500?
That's my guess.

I'd be second if you decided not to. biggrin.gif
rosenfe
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 29 2015, 04:30 PM) *

100-500?
That's my guess.

ive already converted to carbs.pm me and ill send you a pic from my phone.mps is there
Montreal914
It seems like the going price is comparable to carbs. A functioning setup is in the $500 range. Non complete setup $200-300.

PanelBilly
I think $350, but I'm playing from the sideline
billh1963
For a truly complete setup....$400-$500 all day long
Montreal914
I guess it all depends on what is included...

Many systems lack of the proper distributor, the 3 port fuel pump, or come with a leaking MPS or plenum. These aren't functioning systems. dry.gif

A fully equipped system with all the these in operating will reach $500. Not easy to find either, just look how many WTB posts.
rosenfe
i do not have distributor,but all else including fuel pump,air cleaner mps etc.ill put in classified,and figure out price
rick 918-S
Complete, complete. Problem is The harness should get shipped to Jeff Bowlsby to get refurb'd before use or the new owner could easily be chasing gremlins. I would never re-install a system again without having the harness serviced. A harness in place undisturbed can work fine. Transfer to the next engine and it's a whole new game. So untested....$ 100-150. Certified, 4-500. MHO based on experience.
rosenfe
that makes sense.
GregAmy
I've been trying to sell a complete system from a '74, no takers.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=256836&hl=
JeffBowlsby
This is how I see the value of a used D-jet system. All in, you are looking at $2000-3000 for a functioning system as a minimum, not refinished and not including the 4-6 hours of labor it will take to install once all serviceable parts are acquired. Don't forget the consumables - hoses, gaskets, filters...

The point that 'complete systems' are going for $200-500 all day long just reflects the great uncertainty of the functionality of each of their components. That MPS, TPS and harness in the box are probably just cores. Maybe the fuel pump too. No dizzy? No fuel pump? No trigger points? No TS2? In only the rarest of circumstances will someone remove a perfectly functioning FI system to replace with carbs or aftermarket FI, one or more things are worn out or defective and need replacement and they simply did not have the skill or interest to troubleshoot it correctly. The $500 complete and functioning 2.0L D-Jet Fi system does not exist. If you buy these pull-off packages you will with 100% certainty need to buy additional parts to replace the bad parts that you only find while troubleshooting the installation, and those costs add up. Know what you are getting into before you leap. D-Jet is an excellent FI system (as is L-Jet), but you just need to understand how it all works, and what it costs.

I tried to document realistic parts values as I know them, but your comments on the values I am using are welcome and encouraged for the sake of discussion.

TheCabinetmaker
I think you are dead on Jeff. It's more than just the sum of the parts.
rick 918-S
agree.gif Unless all parts are tested and restored the whole thing is a crap shoot. I went through this with "a known good working F.I. for a 2.0" I sent the harness to Jeff for new boots and testing. The harness had a few wires that didn't pass. This is purely a result of unplugging a harness that has heat cycled a couple thousand times. I tested what I could and started with the issues. Chased a problem I could not find purely because I was making assumptions. Turned out the vacuum advance had failed on one side causing a vacuum leak I did not trace. So, price it so someone can sort it out and toss what's not working when they receive it and get a really good injection system back in service.
EdwardBlume
I agree with Jeff as well. Good post!
914_teener
$15

For a "working" FI system that was replaced by carbs with no trigger points and a broken shorted out harness.

You asked.
rhodyguy
Some of the part values in jeff's spreadsheet are highly optimistic.
JeffBowlsby
Do tell Kev... You big tease.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 30 2015, 03:16 PM) *

Hi Jeff,
I totally agree with your evaluation of parts and issues.
Bottom line, buy it at the best price & quality then sort out the problems.
Tom
914_teener
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Nov 30 2015, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 30 2015, 03:16 PM) *

Hi Jeff,
I totally agree with your evaluation of parts and issues.
Bottom line, buy it at the best price & quality then sort out the problems.
Tom

I basically agree with Jeff's list as well....but only if Jeff sells them to me.

That's adds a little body to my experience and context to my snarky response.

When I bought my car about 6 years ago it "seemed" to be running fine.

Shortly afterward everything ...well almost every FI part decided to fail or needed service of some type. It had never been serviced in almost 40 years.

Why would anyone expect to pay full value for stuff that was ripped out because nobody wanted to invest or service it?

My car runs perfect with the D-jet parts that are on it. To get it running that way I spent about $1,000 and a bunch of hours learning and troubleshooting what was wrong.

The later part of the above is the stuff that is hard to put a value on it.

If one of the posters had 3,000 posts and listed and showed the vac guage on the MPS clearly showing the parts, their condition ect...someone might gain more confidence that it actually was running and has or had been serviced. If injectors sit for a while...that's not a good thing. It's a crap shoot. Fully 1/3 of old injectors fail when pressure tested and usually at the body. They are unsafe and unusable if failing there and I wouldn't install them in my car if I didn't test them first. That's a hundred bucks right there.

Sooooo,,,,,what are they worth? It depends.

JeffBowlsby
The $2-3K for a working, reliable, verified, original equipment FI system, is definitely a contender with the other alternatives and likely the least expensive, long term approach for a stock 914. All parts are still available for future maintenance.

Carbs are generally considered a big deduct in terms of a 914s value and leave lingering questions about whether the cam has been changed, to say nothing of warm-ups, drivability, maintaining tune or whether the car meets smog laws if those are a concern.

Aftermarket EFI systems require a custom harness, lots of custom fabrication and tuning, and then no one understands the install as well as the installers, so you generally have a potential deduct in resale value compared to a stock system in addition to the initial cost and installation. Remember the value of your time in the equation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.