Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Narrow body rear with 16 x 8''
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Purchased these size wheels new and would be interested in pics or how your stock rear body was done,not keen on going to flares or running monster tyres as I only have a 2.2T going in.
Was thinking that the body will need a little more that the guard inner lip removed/rolled?,can it be dollied out or need to be cut and sectioned?
I currently have reasonable space between inner edge and tire with 7 x 16'' on with 205's .
Thanks.
Mueller
On my phone...let's see if this works...

My 1st 914, 16x8 23mm offset ...cut, sectioned and welded.

http://www.google.com/search?q=914+flare+m...8g_XkIyyUDrM%3A
Mueller
225/50s

For a few weeks before I flared the rear I ran the 8" rims up front and the 7's in the back!
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 1 2015, 07:48 PM) *

cool link.
I really like the narrow body cars, often or sometimes like cars with the "gt" flares (I do often like the dedicated racers with the riveted on fg flares) and rarely like the one offs or the rabbit or bmw flares or any of the myriad of other things folks have cut big holes in their fenders to stick on their cars
that being said I think these look pretty cool

Click to view attachment

I have no plans to ever flare my car but anybody know anything about these? would like to see what they looked like body color
beerchug.gif
cjl
Mueller
If you follow the tread in which that picture is from of my old car, I also posted a pic of another 16x8 with an 55mm or so offset. The fender is clear from the tire but the tire hits the trailing arm and trunk wall.

So I'd say if you notched or made the trailing arm "bent" like a 911 rear arm and added a little mini-tub to the car you could fit an 8" wide rim with a 225 or even a 245 if lucky under stockish fenders.
bigkensteele
This thread may be of interest to you.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=harold

JRust
I like the 944 offset 16x8's. They have 1/2" more offset to the inside than the 911 part #'s. Work perfect on a 914. I had them on my v8 car before I added flares. These had 225/45/16's for tires. I had my lips rolled as well as just a little bit of pulling for them to work
Chris H.
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Dec 1 2015, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 1 2015, 07:48 PM) *

cool link.
I really like the narrow body cars, often or sometimes like cars with the "gt" flares (I do often like the dedicated racers with the riveted on fg flares) and rarely like the one offs or the rabbit or bmw flares or any of the myriad of other things folks have cut big holes in their fenders to stick on their cars
that being said I think these look pretty cool

Click to view attachment

I have no plans to ever flare my car but anybody know anything about these? would like to see what they looked like body color
beerchug.gif
cjl

Almost 100% sure that is JP Stein's old car (which he lovingly called "the shitbox" biggrin.gif ) He hand hammered those flares. Before he sold it it was completely changed with a body kit, wider flares, etc. Painted it bright yellow.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 1 2015, 09:41 PM) *

I like the 944 offset 16x8's. They have 1/2" more offset to the inside than the 911 part #'s. Work perfect on a 914. I had them on my v8 car before I added flares. These had 225/45/16's for tires. I had my lips rolled as well as just a little bit of pulling for them to work

What year did the 944's go this offset? I know there was an early and late offset for 944's.
somd914
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 2 2015, 01:37 AM) *

What year did the 944's go this offset? I know there was an early and late offset for 944's.

This chart might help you

http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/wheelwts.html

Or this

http://p101tv.com/fuchs_wheel_size_decoder.php
Mueller
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 1 2015, 10:37 PM) *

Big bucks for the 16x8 23mm offset rims now, used to be able to find the Phonedials in that size cheap but not any more, figure Fuchs are even more in demand.

MoveQik
944 wheels. 16x8 with 225/50's on the back. The fenders couldn't quite be pulled far enough for them to fit so they were cut and had a little bit of metal added.

Hope that helps!
jd74914
A long time ago someone narrowed their trailing arms to fit wider tires (with positive offset) under there. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't showing up in the thread for me anymore. sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=618
Mueller
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 2 2015, 09:51 AM) *

A long time ago someone narrowed their trailing arms to fit wider tires (with positive offset) under there. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't showing up in the thread for me anymore. sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=618

You can run the same size rim and tire if you have the proper offset rim (read, custom offset)

He did that to run factory rims. Neat mod.
JRust
Yeah 16x8 fuchs are not cheap in either the 944 or the 911. I like the look of the 911 16x8 a little more as the extra 1/2 inch of lip. Give's the dish a little deeper look. Still the 16x8' 944's are awesome. I love the 16" fuchs on 914's anyway. In my mind the 16" fuchs with polished lip & black centers drooley.gif . Best looking wheel on a 914 biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 2 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Yeah 16x8 fuchs are not cheap in either the 944 or the 911. I like the look of the 911 16x8 a little more as the extra 1/2 inch of lip. Give's the dish a little deeper look. Still the 16x8' 944's are awesome. I love the 16" fuchs on 914's anyway. In my mind the 16" fuchs with polished lip & black centers drooley.gif . Best looking wheel on a 914 biggrin.gif

But what do you know....you drive a Suby! poke.gif biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Wills has got a ghetto bootie!
nine9three
For the life of me I cant figure out why 914 guys want to stagger wheels on a narrow body car. The deeper dish is so marginally different. This certainly makes sense on a 911 because the larger contact patch really matters with all of the weight out back. Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way my 6x16's look.
MoveQik
QUOTE(nine9three @ Dec 2 2015, 04:32 PM) *

For the life of me I cant figure out why 914 guys want to stagger wheels on a narrow body car. The deeper dish is so marginally different. This certainly makes sense on a 911 because the larger contact patch really matters with all of the weight out back. Regardless, I'm thrilled with the way my 6x16's look.

Because we like it? confused24.gif

And we are thrilled that you are thrilled with the way your car looks! beerchug.gif
Racer
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 1 2015, 08:42 PM) *

Purchased these size wheels new and would be interested in pics or how your stock rear body was done,not keen on going to flares or running monster tyres as I only have a 2.2T going in.
Was thinking that the body will need a little more that the guard inner lip removed/rolled?,can it be dollied out or need to be cut and sectioned?
I currently have reasonable space between inner edge and tire with 7 x 16'' on with 205's .
Thanks.

I would think an 8" wheel would require a 225 width tire (ie, not stretching a 205 to fit). If you can fit a 225 on your 7, there is no need for an 8.. plus it saves you bodywork tweeks.

That said, some neat solutions posted in this thread to make it work. A 2.2t spec motor is what, 125-140ish hp? I'd keep the 205's
JRust
QUOTE(nine9three @ Dec 2 2015, 03:32 PM) *

Not all of us have puny little 2.0 VW motor in our car Tom poke.gif

So we need a little more meat in the rear to handle all that extra torque aktion035.gif Of course I am running 16x8's all around with 225/45/16's. I can rotate my wheels this way. My track set I have 245's in back with 225's up front
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 2 2015, 08:15 AM) *

Big bucks for the 16x8 23mm offset rims now, used to be able to find the Phonedials in that size cheap but not any more, figure Fuchs are even more in demand.

That's because I bought them all... happy11.gif
Mike Bellis
BTW...

The best phone dials are 1986 944 Turbo wheels. One year only wheel made by ATS. 16x8 & 16x7, 23mm offset...

in 1987 they changed to a 52mm offset. smile.gif
nine9three
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 2 2015, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(nine9three @ Dec 2 2015, 03:32 PM) *

Not all of us have puny little 2.0 VW motor in our car Tom poke.gif

So we need a little more meat in the rear to handle all that extra torque aktion035.gif Of course I am running 16x8's all around with 225/45/16's. I can rotate my wheels this way. My track set I have 245's in back with 225's up front

Yeah I got the little 2.0 and hopefully that will change soon. I totally get the larger wheels on a flared car. You should step up to 16x9's with all that legacy power. poke.gif
worn
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 1 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack, but it is related. I bought some BBS 16x7 snowflake wheels. I prefer a narrow body. With a test tire they appear to clear just barely, but that is with the car off the ground. Planning 205s. Will this work in real life?
iamchappy
944 turbo phone dials 8's and 7's.... i think you would have to pull the wheel wells to get them to fit.
Mueller
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 3 2015, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 1 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack, but it is related. I bought some BBS 16x7 snowflake wheels. I prefer a narrow body. With a test tire they appear to clear just barely, but that is with the car off the ground. Planning 205s. Will this work in real life?

Depends on offset, I have 16x7s with 205/50 on stock fenders, wheels have 53mm (?) offset with custom sized spacers. I can take some pics and grab a dimension if needed.
Racer
Ride height, camber and wheel offset all play a part. Also, each car seems to vary. My '76 had a ton of room for more than a 205 tire. My '70 was much more snug with the same size tire. And sometimes room varies left to right.. so be sure to try BOTH sides of the car in your test fitments.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.