Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the best lift for an 8' ceiling garage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
or even a boxster or an 996?

looking at a move soon and starting to make some plans on how to set up the new garage., so looking for advice:
Garage is 30' x 26', more info to come!!!
budk
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 7 2015, 09:32 AM) *

or eve a boxster or an 996?

looking at a move soon and starting to make some plans on how to set up the new garage., so looking for advice:
Garage is 30' x 26', more info to come!!!

8" is pretty small.... laugh.gif

Have you seen this thread ?
lift
Amphicar770
The other challenge you will have is that if your ceiling height is 8' and you have standard garage doors, the doors when open are lower than 8'.

Sounds like a small mid-rise lift might be your best bet, although you can not park underneath those.
GregAmy
QUOTE(budk @ Dec 7 2015, 09:47 AM) *

Yeah, you run the risk of being crushed by a dwarf...
DRPHIL914
o.k, so I corrected the 8" vs 8' misprint.

i'll look at that thread, as suggested, thanks.
jor
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 7 2015, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(budk @ Dec 7 2015, 09:47 AM) *

Yeah, you run the risk of being crushed by a dwarf...

I'm glad someone else thought immediately of "This Is Spinal Tap."
Elliot Cannon
I wish my ceiling was that high. biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914

went back to the hopefully soon-to-be-mine garage space yesterday, while the wife and kids were deciding who gets what room and where the furniture will go, ive already decided that I will be in the bottom level.
The garage is actually 30'x30' !! ceiling is just a bit more than 8'. I didn't put a measuring tape to it but as ii stand flat footed, I can touch an 8' ceiling, so its just a few inches more. and lay out is nice, with 2 8' doors and 4 ft in between them, and 5ft on each side, that give LOTS of space for shelved and storage and can still get in and out of the car!! especially since I have a big boat of a car, a 65 ford that will be in there as well. and since there is a separate work shop and golf cart garage area, none of my wood working tools , lawn mower etc will have to be in the car area!!.
BUT after looking up the official dimensions, it appears a 914 is exactly 48" tall stock height, so if I keep both 914's I might have to go low profile tires to get one under the other. , I have not heard of anyone else yet that has done this in an 8' garage. - otherwise since we might not get a golf cart, I may put one of the teeners in that space- it will be tight getting thru the door but will fit fine once inside!
so maybe with air let out of car on ground, it will fit? - but the lift could be further forward and the lights and garage door opener will not be a factor. - pictures to come.

mskala
With barely 8', you will have issues to deal with.
With the 4-post style, you will need to raise the car at least 3 inches higher than
minimum before the cam lock will be cleared. You will probably need to weld one of
the stops at exactly your correct height. Also, you will lose 4 inches due to the
platform itself.

More crazy ideas:
1) take out ceiling in just the area of the roof, if you can park perpendicular to
joists. You can gain 6" and park with the roof removed. My roof has more than
normal joist spacing; depending on dimensions you might need to remove one
(please brace as appropriate).

2) You seem to have a lot of area to work with, maybe just get a few sets of wheel
rollers and just push the cars around.

3) Roll the 914's onto the passenger doors and store vertically biggrin.gif
tdgray
My solution... but it does not sound like you have enough room on the side... and I have one large door not two small ones.

mepstein
I like my snap on mid rise lift. I can drive over it in the 914 without any accessory ramps and then it's invisible. It took no prep, just plug it in and step on the button.
74ravenna
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2015, 03:49 PM) *

I like my snap on mid rise lift. I can drive over it in the 914 without any accessory ramps and then it's invisible. It took no prep, just plug it in and step on the button.

Is your Snap-on an electric lift?
mepstein
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Dec 8 2015, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Is your Snap-on an electric lift?

It uses a power pack. Plugs into the wall and the hose attaches to the lift.
wndsnd
Will a mid rise scissor lift allow enough clearance to complete a six conversion on the chassis?

Motor mounts, running oil lines to a front cooler, etc? Certainly better than working under stands.
r_towle
Yes, but you might want to lift it, set the wheels on block, lower the lift and add the high lift truck adapters. Those posts can be 6-8 inches tall and will provide loads of clearance between the lift arms and the chassis.

Figure you have to do that once.
tdgray
Mine has a power pack as well...Atlas 6000.

If you can see it...I have the truck adapters as well...the space under the MGC.

I changed the boys exhaust on his mini and e brake cables...plenty of room.

Plus it's portable. ..big plus in my always in flux garage.

wndsnd
The adapters are only 6"?
r_towle
Can be pretty tall, call Greg smith lifts in New Hampshire, no sales tax and it would fit on my trailer smile.gif
wndsnd
Might take you up on that. All cash going into engine right now.

Will not touch car untill engine is complete.

Will drive it until the snow flies.

Steve
I have a Bendpak MD6xp
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/md-6xp.aspx
No problem with my 8' garage. I can get to everything except for the floor pan. I had no problems pulling my 3.2 six motor and trans, hell hole repair and re-installation of everything. I have a trashed hydraulic stool on the lowest setting that I roll around on. I am 5'10" and have no problems rolling around under the car to work on it. Night and day better than jack stands and cardboard to lay on.
tdgray
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 8 2015, 07:51 PM) *

Can be pretty tall, call Greg smith lifts in New Hampshire, no sales tax and it would fit on my trailer smile.gif

That's where mine came from... yes the truck adapters are only 6" but they make a HUGE difference in access under the car.

jim_hoyland
Have you thought about going down instead of up ? Have a pit excavated in the garage floor the length of the car plus 3 feet and the width of your tires. Cement the walls and add in a 3 step staircase, wire in light fixtures.

I seen this set up at the local tire shop. The guy has total access and can walk around under the car without lifting it.

Just a thought.... smile.gif
wndsnd
For general service I think it would be a great idea, as long as you can figure out how to vevtilate the pit. Gas fumes are heavier than air, and this could be extremely dangerous.

It would not be great however for dropping engines.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 9 2015, 06:50 PM) *

Have you thought about going down instead of up ? Have a pit excavated in the garage floor the length of the car plus 3 feet and the width of your tires. Cement the walls and add in a 3 step staircase, wire in light fixtures.

I seen this set up at the local tire shop. The guy has total access and can walk around under the car without lifting it.

Just a thought.... smile.gif

This did cross my mind for sure. After we get in house I will talk to the owner, who is a builder and contractor. He should be able to tell me what I have for slab thickness etc.
Houston officially wend user contract today piratenanner.gif
76-914
Since I've been using my lift I've wondered about access using a scissor lift. Anyone have pic's showing how much of the car is accessible beneath. Also, do they contact at the lift points on a teener?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.