Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
baldprisonguard
do i have to swap the cam out to go from f/i to normal aspiration (carbs) idea.gif
Joe Ricard
If you expect any decent performance YES.
Will it run as is YES
Will it out perform a stock FI ..... NO
Wil it get worse gas milage that stock FI Yes
JoeSharp
I know I'm gonna get stuff for this but I just put Solex 40mm singels on an 1.8 no cam change but I did replace tha dist. with a bosch 010 that I had laying around. The motor runs much better than it did when it was injected. Linda bough the car and I don't know how she drove that car to my house. The car runs better than Lindas 1.7 when it is running perfect.
biggrin.gif Joe
Allan
Joe is that a pie tin on top of the carb?
morph
ok we gotta talk about that pie tin . unsure.gif
ive been curious about kadrons or solex on 914s.i was gonna buy a set just.just to find out what they was like .
james
Joe Bob
You LIKE headaches?
JoeSharp
Been running them for about a mounth. Those M/C hats got me through the RAIN. The carbs are have been good on gas. They sound much better than the L-jet. It cost me $500.00 to set them up new with the hex bar linkage.
Less than a Bolwsby loom and any sencer. The carbs sound kool.
biggrin.gif Joe
JoeSharp
James: You can drive the car at the Wild West Classic. It is my driver,and I'm sure it will be there. M/C hats and all.
jwalters
biggrin.gif Another great thing about carbs is you can fiddle with the total timing to gain a few more HP on top of the extra HP you will get from using carbs and dialing them in properly--

Cannot do that with FI--you throw the trigger points all out of whack and eff up the whole shebang--

Ok,OK--only cause I know Lupawali will see this--- hide.gif

Properly set up ignition and carbs will yeild astonshing results with mileage--it is no-where as bad as some seeem to think--

With my 1.7 and dual 40's I could average about 38-42 MPG as long as if I was not stomping on it all the time--then it WOULD go down to about 28-32--but I spent over two days dialing in the whole system--but once I was done-- driving.gif
JoeSharp
I have more money in the D-Jet parts and tools to moniter it than I have in the 75 altogether. ( Bowlsby loom, MPS, CHT, an LM-1 and a VOM)
morph
kool ill take you up on that drive. wink.gif
james
martinef1963
I'm on the look out for some 44 IDF's - I'm going to do the switch - I too have spent a pretty penny on spare parts and can't seem to get it right (FI).

burnout.gif
JoeSharp
Oh! I've got it right. I've got the D-Jet running the Air/Fuel Ratio between 13.3 and 14.5 %. I think I can do better. It only cost $2,00.00 for the induction. It runs awsom but that is another thread. smilie_pokal.gif
biggrin.gif Joe
Mueller
Another great thing about carbs is you can fiddle with the total timing to gain a few more HP on top of the extra HP you will get from using carbs and dialing them in properly--

Cannot do that with FI--you throw the trigger points all out of whack and eff up the whole shebang--

bs.gif biggrin.gif

the advance/retard timing with the stock distributor has 0 negative effect with the triggering of the stock FI.....

if you are using a stock distributor with carbs, then you have the same limitations as one does with the stock FI.....now with an aftermarket distributor like my Mallory, I have no problems with my D-Jet with it setup more aggresive than the stock distributor...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.