Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it a boat anchor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
I just wrapped up parting out a 1972 914. The only thing really left at this point is the engine. It's nasty and clearly was home to a rats nest. Is this worth anything at all or should I leave it with the thiroughly rusted body shell at the scrapper?

Click to view attachment

914itis
I 've seen worst, someone may be able to rebuilt it or use it for parts.

Put an ad on the world for free pickup. those heat exchangers are worth a few bucks.
Spoke
Those look like stainless steel heat exchangers worth $200-$400

The fuel injection parts could be worth a couple hundred as well especially if the MPS holds vacuum.
SKL1
Would agree it's worth something- just need to figure out if worth the time to try and part it out. Getting the heat exchangers off will probably be a challenge though!!
Dead mice are always a joy to work with...
vintage914racer
Looks like it's worth holding onto. I'll spend the holiday tearing it apart. Thanks all for the input.
thieuster
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Dec 19 2015, 05:20 AM) *

Looks like it's worth holding onto. I'll spend the holiday tearing it apart. Thanks all for the input.

Just do it!

This is how I started:
IPB Image

IPB Image

The result after a few weeks:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Geezer914
Amazing what a little TLC will do. Nice job!
JeffBowlsby
Looks clean! You might want to recheck your fuel and vacuum line routing!
SKL1
Curious what paint you used on the engine shroud- wonder how that will hold up to use (heat etc)?
thieuster
@ Jeff: tell me more. I installed the engine mid May and did about 3K miles with the car. Without a glitch! But, I certainly would like to learn from a (far more) experienced 914 owner/guru!

@SKL1: it's all powder coated. So it will stand up to the heat. I have enough experience with powder coating (other classic cars) to be confident about that.

What I tried to say is: it started with a clean-up of the engine and the gearbox; a 10 liter/2.6 gallons bucket full of dirt! Then I wanted to replace the pushrod tubes (leaking seals) and I ended taking the engine apart. I had the engine rebuilt at a local engine shop - well knowns for their VW and Porsche engines in the 70s when Rallycross was really big here in Europe. These guys had virtually all I needed on the shelf.

So, don't use it as a boat anchor! Rebuild it and decide then what you want: getting another Teener for that engine or selling the engine to a fellow enthousiast!

Menno
JeffBowlsby
It may work OK, but tis not right. Look at the vacuum hose off the PCV and the fuel hose on the fuel rail by cyl #3. That fuel rail on 3-4 is also for the 1-2 side with the CSV - how did you terminate that middle nipple? Compare them to these:
vintage914racer
I dropped what was left of the 914 at the scrapper today. The second the front end loader tried to pick it up it split in half. Serious rust and some really hack long repairs.

I'm going to try to tackle removal of the heat exchangers tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

thieuster
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 19 2015, 08:17 PM) *

It may work OK, but tis not right. Look at the vacuum hose off the PCV and the fuel hose on the fuel rail by cyl #3. That fuel rail on 3-4 is also for the 1-2 side with the CSV - how did you terminate that middle nipple? Compare them to these:

Thanks! I'll get into that! Nice job for Christmas Day! Mine is 73 European specs car, btw.

Menno
ntlgnt1
trunk lid, lock, and badge looked salvageable?
bdstone914
Several valuable parts on that engine. 1.7 rockers are worth $100 for the set as they are needed for swivel feet. Flywheel worth $100 if it had material left to be resurfaced. Fan is it has no broken fins, top tin if it is not cracked on the passenger side and not cut for AC. SSI heat exchangers. Many little parts like the air flaps at the bottom of the fan shroud, brackets for the blower fan, heater J tubes, S branches and and warm elbows.
Not much call for a complete engine unless it is good enough to install as is.
Get a 12mm or 13mm socket as needed on a 1.4 socket drive with a 6 inch extension to get the difficult heat exchanger nuts. Add rust penetrant before attempting to remove the nuts.
Have fun.
Bruce
vintage914racer
QUOTE(ntlgnt1 @ Dec 19 2015, 02:19 PM) *

trunk lid, lock, and badge looked salvageable?

Kid was riddled with rust. The rust colored paint camouflaged it. Trunk button was overly pitted. It meant to grab the badge.... Other than that I did get all the meat off the bone and most is already part of future 914world member builds. I'm going to get the remaining parts listed in the next couple of days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.