Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Starting Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Ever since I fixed all of the vacuum leaks I've had a difficult time starting the car. It's a 74 2.0 with stock injection. My routine is to cycle the key 4 times then crank. After about the 4th time it will want to run but only if I pump to keep it running. Then it smooths right out and runs great.
Prior to fixing the vacuum leaks it started right up but idled at around 2k.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jack
boxsterfan
Possibilities:

1. Clogged/partially clogged fuel sock in the gas tank
2. Partially Crimped/bent fuel hose up by the tank or in the engine bay
3. Butterly valve on the intake not opening/closing properly
4. Throttle cable is binding up

You could also verify that you are getting spark at the plug wires when cranking.
Highland
You may already have done this, but I would verify AAR valve is open at startup.

I'm struggling with a similar problem. I wouldn't pump the pedal, but would
have to crack it until warm up. My initial idle is still low, but what really
helped was setting valve lash to .002~.003". I was at 0 lash with steel
pushrods and RAT 9590 cam. My guess is a wasn't getting compression at initial
startup because of the immediate expansion of the exhaust valve.

Wondering if you have a similar issue if the car runs smooth after warm up.

jack20

Thanks very much guys.
Probably should have mentioned that this is a cold starting issue after a complete cool down, like overnight. Starts eagerly when warm and exhibits no fuel starvation symptoms when driving. A cold temp in this area would be 50F So,from what I've read, the cold start valve doesn't come into play.
When cold, I cycle the key 4-5 times, while listening for the fuel pump. I then hit start and it sounds like it wants to run but then dies. On each try, it runs a little longer but still dies. On about the 5 try it is really trying to stay running and if I pump the pedal it will stumble, maybe pop in the TB and then begin running smoothly.

If I hadn't read differently I would immediately suspect the cold start valve.
btw, I tried testing the csv by placing it in a glass jar while cranking. No fuel. That was before I read that the valve is pretty much useless where I live.

I will pull the AAR and go through the process I read on a recent thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.