Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steven1826
I have a 70 914/6 that I can't get the rear trunk open, looks like the rear lock may have been jimmied.
Any suggestions? huh.gif
rhodyguy
the release button does nothing at all? is it unlocked? try gently pushing down on the rear edge of the trunk while pushing the button, then try to lift it while the button is still in.

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (steven1826 @ Mar 15 2005, 05:36 AM)
I have a 70 914/6 that I can't get the rear trunk open, looks like the rear lock may have been jimmied.
Any suggestions? huh.gif

yes, 2 solutions. i have tried both and i find number 2 much easier!

1. open the engine lid, remove the lid for easier access (2 10mm nuts).

then, unbolt the trunk lid bolts from the pivot hinges. be careful if you still have the torsion bars in there.
that will allow you to lift the rear of the lid enough to get a long ratched extension (just put a few pieces together) in there. have someone else help you with a flashlight. the lock for the rear trunk is bolted down with 2 10 mm nuts. it's a lot of trial & error, but it can be done that way.

2. open the engine lid. (remove for easier access, if needed, see 1.)

then, pop out the 2 round plastic cups in the rear firewall that hold the targa top latches.
have someone else help you with a flashlight through the pass. side opening.
use a unfolded coat-hanger through the drivers side opening. make sure the hanger is straight except a small "hook" on the end.
on the bottom of the rear lock, there's a little "nipple" that's exposed that the rear lock cylinder is pushing towards the front of the car to open the lid. get the coat hanger behind that "nipple" and pull. voila!

done it both ways and i find 2. much easier IHMO ...
smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.