Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smaller pedal cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
Has anyone changed out the pedal set up to get some extra room? The break and clutch only have so much adjustment, but have huge throws

The gas pedal is fine, it would seem some smaller throws would have just enough difference in having to pull the leg back, I have the seat all the way back and running a smaller diameter wheel.

Just wondering if there is a simple solution. I'm plying withy the idea of maybe cutting down the length of the clutch and break and re-threading them to mount to the pedal cluster, but if there is a better way, I'd be open to that.... idea.gif
bdstone914
If the clutch in in adjustment you should not have to depress it more than 1/2 way. Later 911 use a clutch shaft with a longer arm on the clutch clevis end which could be used in a 914 to reduce the travel needed to disengage the clutch.
The brake rod on the pedals has an adjustment to reduce the free play to the master cylinder. Also make sure your rear brake calipers have the correct venting clearance to minimize travel to actuate the brakes.
I could build a custom pedal cluster with 911 clutch shaft that would reduce the clutch pedal travel.
Bruce
thelogo
I've got size 14 shoes and don't have any issues with stock

Setup . I mean these Germans got it right

Wouldn't really fiddle with it smoke.gif

Only thing I can condone would be axe the entire pedal cluster

For the titan pedals , but can't imagine it being better then stock

Same go's for the transmission and shifter

I just can't see some new walmart baseball glove being better
Then the Jim rice Spalding mitt I've had since I was 7

But that's just me screwy.gif
Ansbacher
So an F-22 is no better than the original Wright Flyer? There is a problem with making generalizations.

Ansbacher
thelogo
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Dec 27 2015, 10:47 AM) *

So an F-22 is no better than the original Wright Flyer? There is a problem with making generalizations.

Ansbacher

You must be really sharp on aviation history

I'll take superior design and engineering ( Wright flyer )

Every time over modern fly by wire computer reliant crap
Designed to avoid a close in dog fight , come on

And I like the yf-23 over the yf-22 anyway

The better plane did not win

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YF-23
r_towle
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 27 2015, 12:52 AM) *

If the clutch in in adjustment you should not have to depress it more than 1/2 way. Later 911 use a clutch shaft with a longer arm on the clutch clevis end which could be used in a 914 to reduce the travel needed to disengage the clutch.
The brake rod on the pedals has an adjustment to reduce the free play to the master cylinder. Also make sure your rear brake calipers have the correct venting clearance to minimize travel to actuate the brakes.
I could build a custom pedal cluster with 911 clutch shaft that would reduce the clutch pedal travel.
Bruce

Can you build a cluster to reduce the throw on an 84 911 pedal cluster?
It's still way to long....with all new parts all setup per specifications.

Rich
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 27 2015, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Dec 27 2015, 10:47 AM) *

Ansbacher

You must be really sharp on aviation history

I'll take superior design and engineering ( Wright flyer )

Every time over modern fly by wire computer reliant crap
Designed to avoid a close in dog fight , come on

And I like the yf-23 over the yf-22 anyway

The better plane did not win

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YF-23

Aviation experts. lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif
bdstone914

Rich
[/quote]

I dont think there is much room to use a taller shaft arm then what is in the picture and is the same as is in the pedal set I built for you.

Bruce
Alphaogre
Click to view attachment

This is what I was thinking. In essence, my legs can reach deeper into the footwell, thus I don't need the pedals reaching outward from the footwell toward the seat so much.

If I don't have to pull my feet so far back toward my seat to have the pedal at its natural position, it would change the angle of my knees, which would be an advantage.

For driving around town, its fine. It seems like it could be better with shorter throws and better foot positioning when it comes to more "aggressive" driving or AX events.

I was thinking something below, but with the reservoir on the cluster it seems like it moves the entire pedal cluster toward the seat, which is the opposite of what I am trying to achieve. This is where I though of just modifying portions of the clutch and break pedals.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Dec 27 2015, 08:51 PM' post='2282213']

Rich
[/quote]

I dont think there is much room to use a taller shaft arm then what is in the picture and is the same as is in the pedal set I built for you.

Bruce
[/quote]
Ah, but there is room.

Rich
thelogo
Always a. Bad idea

Seen it done in many ac Cobras also

Never a smart move

I've heard of adjustable pedals but poke.gif
Cracker
I did something similar to the picture above but I was more intrusive. With my line fittings roughly 1/2" from the steering rack boot - this was as far forward as I could make it. I am 6'5" & have size 14 feet - rough combination for a teener driver. I'd recommend trying to work within the modifications to the original pedal system if possible - just allot less complicated...

PS: Obviously, something has to "give" and for me it was my leg angle. I moved the steering wheel back about 4" and created a "pocket" for my knees to comfortably extend into - if you look at my driving video in the Paddock, you'll see what I mean. If I had to do it over - I might have retained the original system but my reasoning for the switch was far more than just leg room.

All the best!

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DBCooper
That red car with the Tilton pedals is mine. We did those pedals to be able to use a hydraulic clutch, but with Howe cylinders (shortest out there) to reduce the amount of leg room lost. Later we did my son's car using the Porsche cluster and adapting a hydraulic cylinder on the other side of the firewall, and his car is really much nicer to drive.

We're both 6'3" and size 13's, no special problems driving the car but sometimes getting in and out can be annoying. Have you tried adjusting your clutch and brakes and rear calipers so engagement is right at the top, to reduce the amount of throw needed? I'd be afraid that shortening the levers would put the pedal pads down into the arch of your foot and that would be even more irritating.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.